• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
yeh it was a great match, Federer definately wasnt fit enough for a 5 setter

well how many 5 setters would he play a year? 3 or 4? the vast majority of his games dont even last to 4 sets.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pratyush said:
Yeah and despite that he gave such a fight. What a player!
No doubt. He was 0-4 down in the 5th set and still managed to take it to a tie-break.

That being said, credit to Nalbandian. Two sets down and came back. He is a fighter.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
age_master said:
well how many 5 setters would he play a year? 3 or 4? the vast majority of his games dont even last to 4 sets.
whats that got to do with it? hes played quite a number of 5 setters in his time, if he wasnt injured i think he would have won in 3 for sure...

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Nalbandian is my favourite player, and it was great to see him win. I know people are saying that Federer doesn't have to play alot of 5 setters, which is why he wasn't quite fit enough for it, but Nalbandian pushed him to 5 sets, so you gotta give him credit for just that alone.

C_C

International Captain
While it was an incredible match by Nalbandian, Federer was well below par and he's been well below par this entire tourney- perhaps he hasnt recovered as well from his injuries.
I am hoping for a Federer - Safin rivalry to develop soon for Safin still is the only guy who ( when playing at 100%) can genuinely trouble Federer at his sublime best.

irfan

State Captain
yea it appeared the ankle injury really hampered federer's movements. Balls that he would normally screech cross-court or down the line he cudnt get to. That bein said it was a fantastic game by Nalbandian and kudos to him for bein only the 4th person to beat federer dis year besides nadal, gasquet and ..... (can sum1 help me out here)?
It's still strange seein players like hewitt, nalbandian, coria etc who are extremely fit but don't posses any brilliant shots of either wing doin so well. A symptom of a long tennis season??

irfan

State Captain
C_C said:
While it was an incredible match by Nalbandian, Federer was well below par and he's been well below par this entire tourney- perhaps he hasnt recovered as well from his injuries.
I am hoping for a Federer - Safin rivalry to develop soon for Safin still is the only guy who ( when playing at 100%) can genuinely trouble Federer at his sublime best.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, one of the few powerful allcourt players.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it was a hell of a good game. If I was still in Shanghai I could have been there! :(

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
irfan said:
That bein said it was a fantastic game by Nalbandian and kudos to him for bein only the 4th person to beat federer dis year besides nadal, gasquet and ..... (can sum1 help me out here)?
Marat Safin at the Aus Open semi-final in a brilliant 5 set match. :cool:

shaka

International Regular
I was backing Safin all the way in that game, he had to exploit Federers weaknesses and only won after 5 sets.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
I was backing Safin all the way in that game, he had to exploit Federers weaknesses and only won after 5 sets.
the guy has a weakness??? this is the first i am hearing of it..... :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Does anyone remember Safin's through the legs shot he played when he was match point down? I mean seriously, that was incredible.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Does anyone remember Safin's through the legs shot he played when he was match point down? I mean seriously, that was incredible.
didn't see the match but what i heard was that federer played that shot when he had match point and he botched it up and then safin went on to win.... :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh maybe my memory is lost. I do remember a crazy match point for Federer incident. I wish I taped that beauty.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
Not sure as to how many, but that's only the second time in his career he's lost a 5-set match having led 2-0 - the only other person to come back was Hewitt.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah that was a top match at the Davis Cup back in 2003. Hewitt was down a break in the 3rd set as well. Big fight back, but Federer wasn't the player he was then as he is now, he's said that a few times. Mentally mainly. He just looks so calm and cool on the court now compared to in the past.