• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Super 8 Group 1 Discussion - Eng, WI, SL and NZ

stumpski

International Captain
Nice way for Hales to bring up his 50, anyway. He should open with Lumb in the next game, I don't mind whether it's Bairstow or Butler who keeps.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't expect kids like Bairstow & Hales to bail us out when the experienced players contribute nothing at all.

'English batsmanship' continues to the biggest oxymoron going.

I'd like to think that this WC will be the last we'll see of Kieswetter & Dernbach's special brand of uselessness.
CK has been awarded an ECB contract, so good luck with that hope:)

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
can't drop everybody. this wc was always going to be a stretch. look at the average ages of the squads. england 25.6 as opposed to any of the bigger teams who are around 28(aus28.66, ind 28, newz 27.46, pak 28.33, SA 28.93, Sl 27.4,WI 27.93). Especially in unfamiliar conditions it was always going to be a struggle.

I'm hardly enamoured by luke wright or alex hales but they're the best we've got in this format. there really is noone else in county cricket who deserves to be here. Pietersen obviously but he retired from this format.

grecian

can't drop everybody. this wc was always going to be a stretch. look at the average ages of the squads. england 25.6 as opposed to any of the bigger teams who are around 28(aus28.66, ind 28, newz 27.46, pak 28.33, SA 28.93, Sl 27.4,WI 27.93). Especially in unfamiliar conditions it was always going to be a struggle.

I'm hardly enamoured by luke wright or alex hales but they're the best we've got in this format. there really is noone else in county cricket who deserves to be here. Pietersen obviously but he retired from this format.

Don't think anyone's advocating dropping Hales, TBF.

Yet, I think they could be more imaginative in selections, and look closely at who performs in the format in domestic cricket.

Oh, and let some of our players actually play it domestically.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

I don't have a problem with Hales or Wright. They actually earned their spot by doing something in T20 cricket. But Bairstow? He averages less than 20 FFS, at a poor strike rate. Kieswetter earned a run but he's not evolved. We all know how limited he is and he's a mediocre wicket-keeper. Similarly we've seen enough of Dernbach to know his endless slower balls won't work for long at international level. All the while we're throwing away caps like they're confetti to sadsack. That means we're stuck with the choice between proven failures or unknowns now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First time I've heard a commentator describe a top edged sweep for six as a "courageous shot". Lloyd is an imbecile.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I really hope Bairstow's innings isn't the difference here.

Think we'll finish a good 10 or so behind tbh.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Hales just not used to finishing the innings. Would have been more useful if he'd got out a few overs ago tbh.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Why was Bairstow brought in ahead of Morgan I'm not sure he should be playing IT20s as is but this is just silly. Morgan gave us a sniff but he's not a miracle worker.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
England were always struggling big time after that start, they need proper batsmen up top against good sides, not hacks like Wright.