• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First press conference for McCullum today. Do you think he'll have to deflect a few Cairns questions?

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Saw Southee, Watling, Williamson and Boult (and Dimitri) out for dinner last night. They showed impeccable taste by turning up at Yuki Izakaya (we were on to our second bottle of soju when they arrived), and equally impeccable taste by ordering the spicy chicken which - to not put too fine a word on to it - is magnificent.
That's outstanding from them. Genuinely one of the great dishes. Goes down a treat alongside the tempura vegetables and gyoza.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Four quicks considered by NZ for Dunedin Test | Sport | 3 News

New Zealand are eyeing a four-prong pace attack for the first Test against Sri Lanka with rookie Mitchell Santner carrying the spinning duties.

The opening clash, at Dunedin's University Oval, starts on Thursday, and skipper Brendon McCullum says the pitch looked like it will have pace and seam movement early on. He will likely bowl first if he wins the toss.

The hosts have bracketed Neil Wagner and Mark Craig in their playing XI and will decide before the toss who will play, McCullum says.

"Obviously the hot Dunedin sun may be able to alter the grass which is on the wicket at the moment, but it looks good."

However, they had to be wary about picking a side for the full five days, rather than the first one. If the pitch looked like it had dried out on Thursday morning, they may select offpsinner Mark Craig.

McCullum said Otago left-armer Wagner was bowling the best he has seen him recently, and would carry a workhorse role if picked.

He would probably bowl those long spells from one end, to allow McCullum to rotate Trent Boult, Tim Southee and Doug Bracewell from the other.

McCullum confirmed 23-year-old rookie Santner would bat at six, where he made his Test debut against Australia at Adelaide - top scoring with 45 in the second innings.

He also took a wicket in each innings with his slow left-armers.

McCullum was effusive about Santner's future in the side.

"He's an incredibly unflappable character for such a young guy. He's really fitted in to this team quickly and I am sure over the next couple of years we are going to see a guy develop into a world-class allrounder."

New Zealand are favourites to win over an inexperienced Sri Lanka side which has lost both veterans Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene to retirement, and also fast bowler Dhammika Prasad to injury and Kusal Perera to a failed drugs test.

In contrast, McCullum was upbeat about his side's recent performances, despite losing 0-2 to Australia last month.

"We've still got to put the Ws in the column but from a gradual improvement point of view, I think it sets us up nicely for what is a pretty eye-watering summer Test series for us."

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The weather forecast isn't actually too bad. The problem though is that if history is any guide, then NZ will need all 15 sessions to squeeze a result out of the University Oval surface.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hesson refuses to admit there is a lesson to be learned from recent Basin Tests and there's more of a "grassy then road'" being contrived down there this time. I'd only look to make a cheeky bet on the draw at about stumps on the second evening, when it's paying megabucks.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"We've still got to put the Ws in the column but from a gradual improvement point of view, I think it sets us up nicely for what is a pretty eye-watering summer Test series for us."

Either B-Mac meant mouth-watering or he's going to be in tears when we get our butts handed to us.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Chandimal to keep and bat at 4.

Mathews isn't going to confirm any other positions until tomorrow it seems. He says he's not going to be a reluctant fifth bowler on this pitch though; he's actually looking forward to being a wicket-taking option on it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
ew Zealand will decide between Mark Craig's off spin or Neil Wagner as a fourth seamer this morning. Listening to McCullum's words today, the wise money would be on bustling left armer Wagner missing out.

"You've got to make sure the team you're picking is for a full five days," he said.
Cricket: Mathews dangerous but Black Caps favourites - Sport - NZ Herald News

Mark craig is a protected species.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Mathews isn't going to confirm any other positions until tomorrow it seems. He says he's not going to be a reluctant fifth bowler on this pitch though; he's actually looking forward to being a wicket-taking option on it.
Angelo probably wants a big performance with the ball as he is struggling against Mushtaq Mohammad in round 2 of the CW allrounders comp.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I wouldn't mind them dropping Craig for good and relying on Santner to bowl spin, if it gave us a pace attack of Southee + Boult + two of Bracewell, Wagner and Henry

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't mind them dropping Craig for good and relying on Santner to bowl spin, if it gave us a pace attack of Southee + Boult + two of Bracewell, Wagner and Henry
I agree. I wouldn't mind if KW bowled a few more overs too if they wanted an offie to attack SL's left-handers.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dropping your spinner is almost never actually a good idea. Agree completely with McCullum's point.

Pick the best spinner in NZ.