• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
I don't mind Boult being 11. He always looks like he's out to bat for a fun time, not a long time.

It might be useful to present the stats in terms of balls faced per innings, but Southee should definitely be behind Henry and Wagner IMO.
Last 5 years:

Southee 450 runs, average 15.51, 2 50s - 631 balls faced, 35 innings (6no)
Wagner 392 runs, average 16.33, 1 50 - 654 balls faced, 35 innings (11no)
Boult 232 runs, average 17.84 - 293 balls faced, 23 innings (10no)
Henry 94 runs, average 23.5, 1 50 - 127 balls faced, 6 innings (2no)
Jamieson 339 runs, average 24.21, 1 50 - 586 balls faced, 17 innings (3no)

Last 3 years:

Southee 200 at 9.52 - 347 balls faced, 24 innings (3no)
Wagner 280 at 23.33 - 330 balls faced, 19 innings (7no)
Boult 142 at 23.66 - 142 balls faced, 12 innings (6no)
Henry 78 at 39 - 104 balls faced, 4 innings (2no)

Southee has better balls faced per innings than Boult, but less than Wagner and Henry, but Southee's balls per innings would probably be similar to Boult's if he batted further down the order and Wagner/Henry's would be higher if they batted further up the order due to the not outs

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Last 5 years:

Southee 450 runs, average 15.51, 2 50s - 631 balls faced, 35 innings (6no) - BPD 21.8
Wagner 392 runs, average 16.33, 1 50 - 654 balls faced, 35 innings (11no) - BPD 27.3
Boult 232 runs, average 17.84 - 293 balls faced, 23 innings (10no) - BPD 22.5
Henry 94 runs, average 23.5, 1 50 - 127 balls faced, 6 innings (2no) - BPD 31.8
Jamieson 339 runs, average 24.21, 1 50 - 586 balls faced, 17 innings (3no) - BPD 41.9

Last 3 years:

Southee 200 at 9.52 - 347 balls faced, 24 innings (3no) - BPD 16.5
Wagner 280 at 23.33 - 330 balls faced, 19 innings (7no) - BPD 27.5
Boult 142 at 23.66 - 142 balls faced, 12 innings (6no) - BPD 23.7
Henry 78 at 39 - 104 balls faced, 4 innings (2no) - BPD 52

Southee has better balls faced per innings than Boult, but less than Wagner and Henry, but Southee's balls per innings would probably be similar to Boult's if he batted further down the order and Wagner/Henry's would be higher if they batted further up the order due to the not outs
Added balls per dismissal above

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Also Maharaj is bowling well. On a wicket without much assistance. SA picked a whole cricket team including a spinner. NZ didn’t. They got away with it in the first game. I don’t think they will this time.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Really needed another 30 or 40. Well done CDG, Rabada, and Jansen.
Really need some early wickets to get some doubt in the SA camp.

Howsie

International Captain
Whatever happened to batting for the established batsman?
Southee, Wagner, Boult and Henry are all scared of short, quick bowling. Kidding yourself if you actually think they’ed get in line and defend for the batsman down the other end

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't mind Boult being 11. He always looks like he's out to bat for a fun time, not a long time.
As opposed to Southee? His batting is pathetic. I love the guy as a bowler but what he is offering after 14 years of Test cricket is honestly ****. It's mud. And he doesn't seem to care and I don't know why. Contrast with someone like Stuart Broad who got hit very badly and suffered as a result - Southee never had that, but just has no desire to play proper innings.

Henry and Southee should hang their heads with their dismissals. Wagner i can handle. But there's a guy on 120 and hitting it that will, and it's just irresponsible with a series on the line

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Richardson’s commentary this season is really weird
I think he's got himself confused with all the personas he plays in the media. Its a shame because he started out very well as a commentator, then turned into an antagonist, and now I honestly don't know what role he plays

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As opposed to Southee? His batting is pathetic. I love the guy as a bowler but what he is offering after 14 years of Test cricket is honestly ****. It's mud. And he doesn't seem to care and I don't know why. Contrast with someone like Stuart Broad who got hit very badly and suffered as a result - Southee never had that, but just has no desire to play proper innings.

Henry and Southee should hang their heads with their dismissals. Wagner i can handle. But there's a guy on 120 and hitting it that will, and it's just irresponsible with a series on the line
I don’t disagree. Look back through my posts and I’m sure you’ll see that. I’m just saying that with Boult, it’s much of a muchness and Southee batting 10 ahead of him is less of a problem. But then, this idea seems to be permeating through the tail - a pretty reasonable batting tail based on ability - that they can just throw the kitchen sink at it. That needs to change. Henry and Jamieson definitely have the skills to average over 20 in Tests and, more importantly, support the set batsman.