• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
The sooner we dispense with the 'Will Young is a decent option as an opener' idea, the better. I like Will Young as a player, but he is not technically up to opening in Test match cricket. That ball yesterday, on 5th (at least) stump with no sideways movement, was a classic example. We know about the penchant for playing across his front pad to the ball coming in, too.

If Kane is out, open with Conway - you know, the guy who scored 200 on debut playing there. Bat Young at 3. Then when Kane returns, he bats 4 and allows Nicholls to bat in his rightful spot at 5 + start to transition the next opening partner for Latham into that spot (Rachin, no doubt). Otherwise we're going to get into a position where we shoehorn Young into a spot he's not up to, and we risk jeopardizing the career of a guy who could average 40+ at 4 but may get into a technical and mental glut having to open.
That said it's incredibly tough job to open no matter who you are. Just look around the sides and you'll see there's always chopping and changing of the top order. The problem is at the other end is a bloke with the ball running in will always be one of the best bowler in the world and paid top bucks to knock you over. It requires incredible patience, technique and a penchant for facing pace. You'll have had to do this for good number of years from early years to feel up for it. Latham fits the bill and he's opened since a very young age. Young, not really. Always been a middle order bat and a very good one at that. Just hope they don't snuff the flair out of Young by opening with him for the rest of his career.

I like the idea of Conway opening rather but you can't move Young out of there right now, he's had couple of failure or three otherwise done a good job.

nzfan

What a start to the day, a four and beaten... got to brace for an exciting day of cricket

James

Cricket Web Owner
Darryl has improved so much over the last year or so. When he was playing domestic cricket and was picked was black caps I wasn't so hopeful but now he looks like a proper batsman.
100% - reckon he's close to first pick across all formats now and his bowling is heavily under-rated IMO. Hopefully we'll get another good 5/6 years out of him.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Mitchell this morning playing exactly how I hoped - proactive and scores quickly. Did top edge the one over the keeper but there have been some lovely shots in between.

This partnership scoring fast enough this morning to really worry SA, bat together another 20 overs and their lead will quickly whittle away.

nzfan

100% - reckon he's close to first pick across all formats now and his bowling is heavily under-rated IMO. Hopefully we'll get another good 5/6 years out of him.
Too many bowling options and we don't bowl enough overs to even for Latham to think about Darryl. CDG bowled only 8 overs. I don't think Darryl will get a look in as a bowler. He's good enough to hold his own with the bat I suppose.

nzfan

Maharaj on, CDG to either get to 100 fairly quickly from here on or the other option when CDG plays a spinner :laugh:

First ball, pre-meditated lap for four :laugh:

nzfan

If we can somehow bring the lead down to 50-75 runs anything can happen. It's quite some distance away but you'd think we are capable of scoring 75-100 runs with 5 wickets in hand.

Moss

Both batsmen looked quite jittery against Maharaj. Made the mistake of hanging back there.

Decent effort at playing the Watling role from
Mitchell.