• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

Heboric

International Debutant
Fixtures

Thu, 17 Feb, Way to early
1st Test, Christchurch, Feb 17 - 21 2022

Fri, 25 Feb, Again way to early
2nd Test, Christchurch, Feb 25 - Mar 1 2022

Squads

New Zealand (for first test)

Tom Latham (C), Tom Blundell (WK), Devon Conway, Colin de Grandhomme, Cam Fletcher, Matt Henry, Kyle Jamieson, Daryl Mitchell, Henry Nicholls, Rachin Ravindra, Hamish Rutherford, Tim Southee, Blair Tickner, Neil Wagner, Will Young.

South Africa

Dean Elgar (c), Temba Bavuma, Sarel Erwee, Zubayr Hamza, Simon Harmer, Marco Jansen, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Wiaan Mulder, Lungi Ngidi, Duanne Olivier, Kagiso Rabada, Ryan Rickelton, Lutho Sipamla, Glenton Stuurman, Rassie van der Dussen, Kyle Verreynne

Both teams missing key players, not saying Keegan Petersen is at the level of Kane Williamson but he was in form and that is a loss to a team.

Will New Zealand finally get one over South Africa in a test series, it will be tough for the Proteas but they should have gained some confidence after the series win against India.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
A few months ago I'd be confident we'd whitewash the series, but SA have their tail up after beating India and we're without key players so I'm thinking either 1-0 to SA or 1-1.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Keegan Peterson is a massive loss. South Africa can win a test match still. Interesting to see what kind of pitch Kiwis roll out.
Hagley oval has been seam friendly for touring sides mostly.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
South Africa is a gun side now after the India series but their batting can be tested big time given they're coming off MIQ, training at Lincoln which will be nowhere like Hagley. Besides South African decks are harder but ours are sticky. I still think we'll win the series 1-0 or even 2-0 despite missing Kane. Expect our bowlers to do a bloody good job. As for batting we'll scrape through and put reasonable runs enough to defend.

Regardless a gun series in store.

Bolo.

Keegan Peterson is a massive loss. South Africa can win a test match still. Interesting to see what kind of pitch Kiwis roll out.
Hagley oval has been seam friendly for touring sides mostly.
Are NZ groundkeepers actually capable of controlling state of the pitches? If they are, what kind of pitches do you want to roll out?

Defs not extreme bowler friendly. Too much of a crapshoot. Ignore history (long term between the countries or last couple of series). NZ have to back themselves now.

Bat friendly may favour RSA as well. Somewhat similar conditions, and the weak RSA batting lineup may come right in easy, but not completely alien conditions. And, while it remains to be seen, I think the RSA bowlers will be OK in bat friendly conditions in NZ.

Middle of the road grounds sound like the way to go, but it is a hell of a tough ask from groundmen who have been producing roads for ages.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Fixtures

Thu, 17 Feb, Way to early
1st Test, Christchurch, Feb 17 - 21 2022

Fri, 25 Feb, Again way to early
2nd Test, Christchurch, Feb 25 - Mar 1 2022

Squads

New Zealand

Tom Latham (C), Tom Blundell (WK), Devon Conway, Colin de Grandhomme, Cam Fletcher, Matt Henry, Kyle Jamieson, Daryl Mitchell, Henry Nicholls, Rachin Ravindra, Hamish Rutherford, Tim Southee, Blair Tickner, Neil Wagner, Will Young.

South Africa

Dean Elgar (c), Temba Bavuma, Sarel Erwee, Zubayr Hamza, Simon Harmer, Marco Jansen, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Wiaan Mulder, Lungi Ngidi, Duanne Olivier, Kagiso Rabada, Ryan Rickelton, Lutho Sipamla, Glenton Stuurman, Rassie van der Dussen, Kyle Verreynne

Both teams missing key players, not saying Keegan Petersen is at the level of Kane Williamson but he was in form and that is a loss to a team.

Will New Zealand finally get one over South Africa in a test series, it will be tough for the Proteas but they should have gained some confidence after the series win against India.
That NZ squad is only for the 1st test, isn't it?
Boult is out for the 1st with his 3rd baby due but hopefully back for the 2nd. Ajaz was also unavailable for the 1st due to his calf (I think).

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Middle of the road grounds sound like the way to go, but it is a hell of a tough ask from groundmen who have been producing roads for ages.
Lol weren't people just saying we prepare bowler-friendly decks for our seamers.

Anyway, green roads imo

Bolo.

Lol weren't people just saying we prepare bowler-friendly decks for our seamers.

Anyway, green roads imo
Prepping bowler friendly decks is always a risk when you are favourites. Randomises results a bit too much.

Green roads should typically be the way NZ goes... home advantage. Think it is still the way to prep wickets against RSA.

But need to consider that RSA is not something like a subcontinetal side. and if the groundskeepers are capable of adjusting a bit, that would be good. Not to say NZ is a bouncy country, but a bit less bounce would be great anyway. Maybe a bit longer grass but a bit drier. If this is possible; probably depends more on rainfall than groundskeeper skill.

James

Cricket Web Owner
First time in a while I'd say the touring side are favourites leading into a Test series on NZ soil.
Thinking 1-0 or 2-0 SAF, they edge us on batting and bowling I think.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
First time in a while I'd say the touring side are favourites leading into a Test series on NZ soil.
Thinking 1-0 or 2-0 SAF, they edge us on batting and bowling I think.
SA Bowling is mostly hit the deck.. Green seamers will give NZ some advantage. On a flat wicket Saffers are likely to outbowl NZ also Maharaj will come into play as well.
Toss will be a massive factor as well.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is Williamson a giant ***** for not getting surgery on that elbow? Missing a lot of time.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Is Williamson a giant ***** for not getting surgery on that elbow? Missing a lot of time.
Was thinking the same, but with all these world cups crammed together, each test now riding on WTC points...I can understand him delaying it too

thundaboult

International Debutant
and just more about re: kane's elbow....the dude has now become a big match player....he might be off color sometimes but seems to come up clutch during the semi-final or final matches, saving his ass for even half a tournament could be vital to us

Meridio

International Regular
Would have thought it's been pretty well established that surgery won't help Kane's elbow. There's an army of doctors, physios and so on surrounding him, don't you think that if it was as easy as putting him under the knife they'd have done that already?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Apparently, surgery is the last resort but he says he is also talking to Sachin, Steve Smith and even Manish Pandey who have had similar injuries. Sachin came back reinventing his style a bit and did well. So no reason Kane can't do the same. He needs to do the same though. Maybe play only T20s till his elbow has healed enough for the longer workloads.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Some time NZ player Trent Boult just got snapped up in the IPL auction for USD 1 million. Wow, that's good money!

And news out today: Kane Williamson hopes to have his elbow ready for the IPL.

It's all looking very very good, for the IPL.