• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
It feels like we get robbed by our own weather significantly more than it saves us, i.e. WI 2013 1st Test. WI 2008 2nd Test, Pak 2009 3rd Test.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Rain radar looks like ***.

I guess there is some chance Hamilton on the edge of the storm is spared some later rain if the storm drifts a little. Maybe we'll be lucky and get two hours play. Crossing all my fingers and toes.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
With only two test wins against South Africa in my lifetime, I'll be absolutely bloody gutted if today is rained out. :(

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Moral victories are for Zimbabwe, NZ should want more than that, this is a good Saffer side but as their collapses have shown, its far from invincible.
Haha...what I was proposing was far from a 'moral victory (ie something like a hard-fought draw or a close loss).

What I'm saying is come what may with the weather (an uncontrollable), it shouldn't detract from the immense positives from our performance (controllable). Just because it rained won't stop me feeling very proud that we got into a position, minus Taylor, Boult and Southee, where we were strong favourites to win the Test and very likely would have. Without winning I'll still be proud of our openers effort, especially late on day 2 (and Tom working hard through a form slump), Kane's epic knock, Henry's efforts, Colin continuing to offer something at Test level, our catching etc (whilst trying to forget our horrendous use of DRS). And expecting that that's our standard going forward to next summer (whilst gutted we have no more 5-dayers before then).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There's been very heavy overnight rain, so at the very least there'll be a delayed start. Glad I loaded up on the draw last night when I saw the forecast. It was paying $2.1 then. It's paying $1.20 now. :(

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It feels like we get robbed by our own weather significantly more than it saves us, i.e. WI 2013 1st Test. WI 2008 2nd Test, Pak 2009 3rd Test.
To be fair, we were saved by rain against SA in both the 1st and 3rd tests in 2012, against India in the 3rd test in 2009 and in the 2nd test against England in 2013. Obviously the lost wins sit in the memory more because of the sting.

jcas0167

International Debutant
To be fair, we were saved by rain against SA in both the 1st and 3rd tests in 2012, against India in the 3rd test in 2009 and in the 2nd test against England in 2013. Obviously the lost wins sit in the memory more because of the sting.
Also the rain helped in the semi-final in the 2015 WC :ph34r:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Also the rain helped in the semi-final in the 2015 WC :ph34r:
And 2003 (can't remember if that was a pool game or Super Sixes). South Africa probably feel like rain is their arch nemesis at big tournaments (picturing Boucher blocking out Murali with one to win after a big six) so maybe their fans will feel they're owed this weather.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricinfo says the rain "only stopped minutes ago". Well, that's something to cling to. Any Hamiltonians want to head along to the ground with some hair dryers?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Got to give NZ credit for being in such a dominant position without the likes of Taylor, Boult and Southee. And I'm sure they will take heart from this test despite them (probably) losing the series. Although I must say Broom doesn't look up to much and Nicholl's future at Test level is gonna be interesting because he still looks a little unsure of himself imo. Ravel looks good though. SA, on the other hand, have some serious question to answer. Of course they've got the De Villiars factor up their sleeve but is he still even interested in Test cricket? And the opening spot is once again a major issue. The spinner done well during the first two tests but on a decent deck he looked harmless tbh so again it will be interesting to see how he copes after people have seen him now.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
Colin de grandhomme looking the best of the non performing allrounders. Decent genuine seam bowler and now chipping in with usefull runs. Looks handy.