• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
yay santa time

what happened to that rev counter they brought in a year or so ago? would be interested to see how santa and patel compare

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hell of a performance today, but job obviously not done yet. Fingers crossed that the weather holds tomorrow and we get at least close to a full day's play.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Gotta be happy with that day. Great work from our guys.

Huge focus on breaking this partnership in the morning.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If NZ goes on to win this tomorrow where do we think KW's hundred ranks amongst his 17? Would have to be pretty close to 1st, I'd have thought. A big, chanceless hundred, characterised by attractive strokes, played on a tricky deck and against one of the best fast bowling attacks in the world.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
If NZ goes on to win this tomorrow where do we think KW's hundred ranks amongst his 17? Would have to be pretty close to 1st, I'd have thought. A big, chanceless hundred, characterised by attractive strokes, played on a tricky deck and against one of the best fast bowling attacks in the world.
The hundred where he saved the test against South Africa at Wellington was exceptional. Think Morkel had figures of 6 for 20 odd in that innings as well and it was a better attack than what South Africa had here e.g. peak Steyn and Philander.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
He did offer a lot of chances in that innings but for a 21-year old to save that test was something special. With no one but KvW and Bracewell for company as I recall.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The hundred where he saved the test against South Africa at Wellington was exceptional. Think Morkel had figures of 6 for 20 odd in that innings as well and it was a better attack than what South Africa had here e.g. peak Steyn and Philander.
Yeah, though my ranking of that innings is kinda tarnished by the fact that Smith kinda stopped trying to win the game in the afternoon and basically left Duminy on at one end in order to avoid an overs rate fine.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Dean Elgar proving to be a bit of a one test series player. Usually scores heavy early and then falls away, and just having a quick glance looks like he has scored 50 or more across multiple tests in a series only twice. Though he’s the least of South Africa’s batting worries at the moment, all kinds of issues which have been apparent throughout the year but the bowlers and chiefly de Kock have brushed over that. Shame it always takes a heavy defeat to get some changes made.

SeamUp

International Coach
Played New Zealand and Kane. You guys have deserved the win this test match. So either something special stops you tomorrow or the cricketing gods because it is a good chance it will be 1-1.

I can take Elgar's dismissal as that was a good nut.

But man oh man that Amla running out of Theunis was a bitter pill to swallow for a debutant fighting hard.Then his dismissal.

JP - well what can you say. Where is Bavuma's average at now ?

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Played New Zealand and Kane. You guys have deserved the win this test match. So other something special stops you tomorrow or the cricketing gods because it is a good chance it will be 1-1.
As with losing the toss, our default position is something special stopping us. We've formed a habit over many years of having late weather costing us victory at the 11th hour.

SeamUp

International Coach
As with losing the toss, our default position is something special stopping us. We've formed a habit over many years of having late weather costing us victory at the 11th hour.
Well, it would be harsh but it seems like there may be a chance that batting two sessions could be enough.

Briony

International Debutant
SA's brittle batting strikes again. Elgar is unreliable, Amla's on the wane and Duminy and Bavuma appear undroppable despite repeated poor performances. Think Faf might have erred though by batting first in overcast conditions on a greenish pitch. NZ has outplayed them all test.

SeamUp

International Coach
What I would give to see Morne grimly blocking out the last over of the day to deny NZ victory.
We would love it but can you imagine how long he would be talking about it afterwards. The next Matty Hayden he will say.

Bahseph

State Captain
I've enjoyed this series. 1-1 would be a fair reflection of the competitiveness of the two teams up to this point. It's gonna take something special from Faf and Quinton and to a lesser extent Big Vern to save this. Maharaj, Rabada and Morne haven't batted time before in their Test careers.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I've enjoyed this series. 1-1 would be a fair reflection of the competitiveness of the two teams up to this point. It's gonna take something special from Faf and Quinton and to a lesser extent Big Vern to save this. Maharaj, Rabada and Morne haven't batted time before in their Test careers.
Maharaj does have a couple of first class centuries, which suggests that he might have the ability to bat for time, but I definitely wouldn't count on Rabada and Morkel being able to do so.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Maharaj does have a couple of first class centuries, which suggests that he might have the ability to bat for time, but I definitely wouldn't count on Rabada and Morkel being able to do so.
Maharaj has batted fairly recklessly since coming onto the scene. Wouldn’t hold much hope for him or Rabada or Morne against Patel. Rabada looks good value against the quicks but appears to have the same vulnerabilities against spin as big Morne.