• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
New Zealand shouldn't drag this on with the forecast and play: runs at a good tempo and (moderately) attacking declaration hopefully.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Always like to have the use of the second new ball when trying to win a test match so that's about 100 overs. If we don't get bowled out then I'd like to see South Africa in after tea.

This situation is tailor-made for Lord Colin.

On the other hand, I don't want to see BJ bat a 30 sr as he has been doing recently. He has to get his Leeds 2015 on.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I want a 150 run lead. Up to 200-250 would be great if the batting holds up and the weather forecast ends up being good, but 150 seems more realistic on both fronts.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Excellent NZ. 100+ lead and some luck with the weather, & we're an outside shot, even if it is a long long batting lineup to knock over. Bet on Santner being a nuisance for SA 4th innings if he get his flight right.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1-1 would be a fair outcome IMO. Would be a shame if NZ were denied by the weather again since they were the likelier side in the first Test also.

Briony

International Debutant
1-1 would be a fair outcome IMO. Would be a shame if NZ were denied by the weather again since they were the likelier side in the first Test also.
Not super sure about that. There was one day to go and the kiwis still had to take four wickets. SA would have had a lead north of two hundred and sides were struggling to make more than 200 in a day during that test. Runs on the board are always a hurdle to overcome as psychological pressure builds on day five. Philander could have easily hung around for some time too. They definitely have their noses in front here though should the weather not intervene. Think Abbott has been a big loss for SA.

Last edited:

Heboric

International Debutant
Not so sure about that. Obviouslty if they win this test then it will be 1 - 1

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Great day from NZ. From a cricketing point of view pity about Raval not getting the 100. I wish I could have watched more of Williamson's innings he is a great player.

I`m not sure what I want from here, if we bowl NZ out cheaply, that means we need to bat at least till lunch if not tea time day 5 to ensure the draw; and I am nervous about that with the way our top order is batting. But if we can get some runs on the board we could put pressure on NZ. If we can control the run rate then the longer they bat the less we need to bat to draw the match.... but I am still worried about our top order anyway.

Pity I can`t watch these last 2 days....

Blain

U19 Captain
Kane's always had a far better temperament than those other players. The other 3 are hardly chilled sort of personalities.. Root may have matured recently.

The forecast is looking pretty good for cricket, rain late afternoon on both days the only threat at this stage. If we can bat another 40 overs at a decent clip, that would be perfect. Kane needs to stay there, though, things can go south pretty quick when he's not there!

SeamUp

International Coach
Pleased to see Morne Morkel get his 250th test wicket. Hard to think it was 11 years ago when he debuted in that series v India.

Morne Morkel will remember the day of his 250th test wicket as one of hard toil and grit on day three of the third test match against New Zealand at Seddon Park in Hamilton on Monday.

The lanky seamer became the sixth South African bowler to reach the milestone, joining Shaun Pollock (421), Dale Steyn (417), Makhaya Ntini (390), Allan Donald (330) and Jacques Kallis (291) on the all-time wicket-takers list.

Morkel had a successful debut as a fresh 22-year-old against an Indian line-up boasting batting superstars in Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Sourav Ganguly and MS Dhoni, and 11 years on he is faced with another daunting challenge in the form of a rescue-mission to help the Proteas keep the test match alive with two days to play.

“That was a hard day out in the field,” he said of what he would remember of the occasion. “The outfield was heavy with the amount of rain we had, it was hard graft out there, but I’m sitting here tonight very happy with my performance with the ball.”

“Thinking back 11 years ago when I bowled my first over to Sachin (Tendulkar), I was very nervous, and to think of 250 wickets I’m quite happy with that.”

“They are a quality outfit, they have quality players,” Morkel said of the batting performance.

“Upfront they left very well, they played a patient game and waited for us to attack and to come a little bit straighter and scored. The wicket is softer, as soon as the ball loses the hardness it is easier to score.”

“I won’t take anything away from the way they batted, Kane was exceptional and the openers played really well.

“That is the reality, they have gone past us,” he said of the match situation. “There is only one team under pressure and that is us. We need to come with the right attitude tomorrow, and in the second innings it’s up to the batters to bat it out. They are going to come hard at us in our second innings to get the win.

“As a team, in the changeroom we always speak about how we want to be mentally strong and it will be a great way for us to finish the cricket calendar if we can hang on.”

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Santner against quality pace :unsure:. Doesn't like it short and doesn't like the bowler coming round the wicket and targeting the stumps either.

Still, he'll work on that and this is a rare opportunity when he's not under too much pressure.

Blain

U19 Captain
Santner looks to be batting time. Assuming they're looking to play off the seamers, get their eye in and lift the RR once the spinners are on? Maharaj will be hoping that's the case.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Santner against quality pace :unsure:. Doesn't like it short and doesn't like the bowler coming round the wicket and targeting the stumps either.

Still, he'll work on that and this is a rare opportunity when he's not under too much pressure.
And still more runs than Brooms and Nicholl combined.

thierry henry

International Coach
As much as I argued against us feeling the need to bat with #intent yesterday, I don't really want the batsmen who hang around with Williamson to be striking at 25 either. #justbat #normalbatting