• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I do love being an oasis in a desert, which in being an England supporter who likes Graeme Smith I truly am.
Nah, you're not. I'm a big admirer of his. Fantastic, no-nonsense cricketer. His will to win manifests itself in some ugly ways sometimes, but there are very few players around who give as much of themselves to the game as he does. There's only a hair's breadth in terms of personality separating him and Pietersen, and Pietersen is my favourite current cricketer, so that says a lot, I guess.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol - respect and admiration I have for him by the bucketload - he's a class act .................

but still a ****

open365

International Vice-Captain
I do love being an oasis in a desert, which in being an England supporter who likes Graeme Smith I truly am.
Nah, you're not. I'm a big admirer of his. Fantastic, no-nonsense cricketer. His will to win manifests itself in some ugly ways sometimes, but there are very few players around who give as much of themselves to the game as he does. There's only a hair's breadth in terms of personality separating him and Pietersen, and Pietersen is my favourite current cricketer, so that says a lot, I guess.
I thought I was the only Smith Admirer!

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I think a lot of people admire Graeme Smith and what he's done for SA cricket. But he's also a tool who we love to see lose, especially when KP is involved :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Great day for us. Big two fingers from the batsmen and the bowlers so far in this Test. We mean business and let's hope we finish the business tomorrow.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think a lot of people admire Graeme Smith and what he's done for SA cricket. But he's also a tool who we love to see lose, especially when KP is involved :)
Meh - as I say, I like to see him having scored runs (don't particularly like watching him bat as he's not the best-looking batsman you'll ever see, but there's something about his crunching power through the leg-side that's vaguely awesome) because I think he's a fine batsman. I also like to see SA win, ITBT.

I really don't find him to be a **** either - like his attitude toward cricket TBH. Never willing to kowtow to put-up-and-shut-up false ideals. If he thinks there's been hard-done-by to someone, he'll say so.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
If he thinks there's been hard-done-by to someone, he'll say so.
The problem is he believes he's been 'hard done by' all too many times for my liking. Makes he seem a bit of a whiney little arse. Which is all the more sweet when he cant back up his words with runs.

Jakester1288

International Regular
A draw is very unlikely to happen at the moment. There are two days remaining and South Africa are following on and at the moment are 333 runs behind. In two days they will either need to knock them off and them build a small lead, one that is bigger than what England will have time to score.

They will be looking for a couple of big tons, and I have that feeling about Amla, I think he will score big (150+). The South Africans might need to bat for two days, and after their first innings it doesn't look likely.

There are four overs gone, and South Africa are 13/0. England will come back tomorrow rejunivated and refreshed and with a new ball in hand, looking for early wickets. The first hour of play might go a long way towards deciding the out come of this match, and if South Africa can survive it, they will be in a strong postion. However, if England can pick up one or two wickets, South Africa will have a very tough situation on their hands (well I suppose they already do to be honest).

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
But at good levels, they don't play with a wet outfield except under remarkable circumstances. So it's not too much of an issue there.
Funnily enough England have bowled with the new ball in pouring rain for the last few overs of the last 2 days!

Good to see the umpires actually trying to find ways to play - which they have done consistently in this game - rather than ways to avoid playing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The problem is he believes he's been 'hard done by' all too many times for my liking. Makes he seem a bit of a whiney little arse. Which is all the more sweet when he cant back up his words with runs.
I think that's more to do with the fact that people think you should put-up-and-shut-up most of the time.

There's a hell of a lot of injustice in cricket (something I'd love little more than to eliminate in as many ways as possible) and many people seem to think the best way to deal with that is to pretend it doesn't exist.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Funnily enough England have bowled with the new ball in pouring rain for the last few overs of the last 2 days!
Well, yeah, but only for a few overs. Never the half-hour or so (and then straight back out if you've come off without the field drying much) that you get in club cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyway we're underway. Finally the seamers get the new-ball this innings. And McKenzie off-the-mark for the day with a beautiful cover-drive for four.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No swing so far, and Anderson managing to get the ball far straighter than Sidebottom (perhaps not remotely surprisingly given their with-swing lines).

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon South Africa are going to score BIG in this innings - the pitch is looking slow and quite unresponsive.