• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

SeamUp

International Coach
Faf is expecting a child so may miss the first test at Lord's.

Captain ? Hash - Deano - JP ?

SeamUp

International Coach
SA 'A' v England Lions 4-day test starting tomorrow.

Expected SA 'A'

Markram (c), Kuhn, de Bruyn, Bavuma, Zondo, Mulder or Smith, Klaasen (wk), Piedt, Olivier, Paterson, B.Hendricks or Dala

* Ideally Ngidi and Dupavillon replace the last two in the long run.

Expected England Lions

Jennings (c), Gubbins, Hameed, Stoneman, Lawrence, Foakes (wk), S.Curran , C.Overton, Leach, Porter, Garton 12th Helm

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Should be Elgar, possibly Hash... what about ABdV for one test!
He has said no chance ! What cricket board would allow this unless it is favoring them !

AB de Villiers confirmed to ESPNcricinfo that he will not be persuaded to stay on for longer after opting out of the entire Test series to manage his workload. De Villiers will lead in the T20s and will then return home, to prioritise family time. His second child is also due in July.

That may mean Hashim Amla, who stepped down from the Test captaincy in January 2016, may be forced into an emergency substitution. Or South Africa may look to senior opener Dean Elgar or even JP Duminy, who has led in the T20s, for leadership.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
He has said no chance ! What cricket board would allow this unless it is favoring them !
I think that it is accepted behind the scenes he will never play tests again. Obviously they want him for the LO and also with the new T20 need him as a marquee player!

Even mentioning Duminy at this stage is terrible... he should not even be in the team.

Howe_zat

Audio File
SA 'A' v England Lions 4-day test starting tomorrow.

Expected SA 'A'

Markram (c), Kuhn, de Bruyn, Bavuma, Zondo, Mulder or Smith, Klaasen (wk), Piedt, Olivier, Paterson, B.Hendricks or Dala

* Ideally Ngidi and Dupavillon replace the last two in the long run.

Expected England Lions

Jennings (c), Gubbins, Hameed, Stoneman, Lawrence, Foakes (wk), S.Curran , C.Overton, Leach, Porter, Garton 12th Helm
Strikes me as a much stronger SA 'A' side than the last with Kuhn, de Bruyn, Peidt and Paterson.

SeamUp

International Coach
Strikes me as a much stronger SA 'A' side than the last with Kuhn, de Bruyn, Peidt and Paterson.
Yeah missed Kuhn, de Bruyn last game. It brings some seniority and quality to calm Markram as well.

The bowling is a concern. Olivier is decent. Will play a few tests but wouldn't say amazing. Don't rate Paterson personally. When I talk about players getting the stats domestically but not quite that next level I am thinking of him as one.

In doing the Lions batting line up , I could have drawn the first 4 out of a hat as openers !

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Is there any chance that there will be a live stream for the Lions SA 'A' game?

And as an aside, I am so not interested in these 3 T20's I find it difficult enough at best of times, but this feels so out of place and pointless. Bring on the Tests!

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shows how out of date I am with cricketing happenings around the world, I didn't even know SA were there for Tests this English summer.

Should be a cracking series, pleased to see it's 4 tests too.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah missed Kuhn, de Bruyn last game. It brings some seniority and quality to calm Markram as well.

The bowling is a concern. Olivier is decent. Will play a few tests but wouldn't say amazing. Don't rate Paterson personally. When I talk about players getting the stats domestically but not quite that next level I am thinking of him as one.

In doing the Lions batting line up , I could have drawn the first 4 out of a hat as openers !
Bolded often applies well to those who do well on A tours tbf. A lot of this Lions team won't have played much bowling as fast as him.

As for the openers thing I expect it'll be Stoneman and Hameed opening, although they may well get Jennings and Hameed given Stoneman's experience and the quasi-England audition that would create.

Dan Lawrence has been batting four this season but actually opened for England under-19s, so there's an argument all of the batsmen are in fact openers.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
AK Markram*, HG Kuhn, TB de Bruyn, T Bavuma, K Zondo, H Klaasen†, PWA Mulder, DL Piedt, BE Hendricks, D Olivier, CJ Dala
Pretty much the best they could have chosen, now to find out who stands up..... 8 members have the possibility to be chosen for the SA test squad....

SeamUp

International Coach
Bolded often applies well to those who do well on A tours tbf. A lot of this Lions team won't have played much bowling as fast as him.

As for the openers thing I expect it'll be Stoneman and Hameed opening, although they may well get Jennings and Hameed given Stoneman's experience and the quasi-England audition that would create.

Dan Lawrence has been batting four this season but actually opened for England under-19s, so there's an argument all of the batsmen are in fact openers.
You were spot on about the openers. Hameed's poor form continues.

Runs for Stoneman/Jennings seals their spots.

Even as a Saffer Im excited to see Lawrence develop.

SeamUp

International Coach

And as an aside, I am so not interested in these 3 T20's I find it difficult enough at best of times, but this feels so out of place and pointless. Bring on the Tests!
As an aside I only looked at the Proteas T20 squad now. Geez there is some crap. Smuts and Mosehle. Even Paterson. What is he doing there.

Pretty much the best they could have chosen, now to find out who stands up..... 8 members have the possibility to be chosen for the SA test squad....
Yeah. In a way glad Paterson is in T20 squad so he doesn't play here and left arm variety of Hendricks is there but Dala is very iffy too even with his pace.

Auditions begin.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
PS Jennings captained Olivier on a SA u19 tour to England. SA won the series 6-1 under Ray Jennings.

Other Sa players in that squad were Quinny de Kock, Prenelan Subrayen, Calvin Savage, Corne Dry, Rabian Engelbrecht and Lizaad Williams.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
As an aside I only looked at the Proteas T20 squad. Geez there is some crap. Smuts and Mosehle. Even Paterson. What is he doing there.
I can accept Mosehle cause it gives Rabada and QDK a rest from a practical point of view with Klaasens and Kuhn in the SA 'A' squad. But I would prefer just about anybody to Smuts, because while he is a good FC player and has done well for the Warriors he has no future in any of the SA squads. So lets just play a youngster. Harsh but true.

Edit: I will say that it does look like a compromise side, with players chosen for SA 'A' first and then the T20 side being filled up.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
I can accept Mosehle cause it gives Rabada and QDK a rest from a practical point of view with Klaasens and Kuhn in the SA 'A' squad. But I would prefer just about anybody to Smuts, because while he is a good FC player and has done well for the Warriors he has no future in any of the SA squads. So lets just play a youngster. Harsh but true.

Edit: I will say that it does look like a compromise side, with players chosen for SA 'A' first and then the T20 side being filled up.
I don't mind seeing Smuts get a go, I like seeing guys rewarded for hard work at domestic level.

Marius

International Debutant

Just wanted to brag that I'll be at the first day of the Lord's Test (assuming I get my visa in time).

And hold thumbs it doesn't rain!

SeamUp

International Coach
I think it was Rob Houwing who did an article and said some of the new names have just come off failures for SA A. Doesn't leave you with much confidence. ie Smuts, Mosehle

Reeza Hendricks is probably the only new batsman I'm looking forward too watching.

We probably expecting AB at 3 (33), Miller at 4 (28), Behardien at 5 (34)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trying to think what England's full strength side would be if they played a Test tomorrow. I don't think Hameed would play given how awful his form has been this year.

Cook
Stoneman
Jennings
Root
Moeen
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes (obviously injured at the moment)
Broad
Wood
Anderson

Stoneman is speculative, but I figure his record in the past few years, plus the Slurry bonus factor, may be enough to push him past Ballance. Although the latter does make it less of a shuffle in batting order.

Not sure who'd come in for Woakes. Ball? Hopefully not ****ing Finn again. Rashid would obviously be in the squad.