• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It is an interesting SA 'A' selection, both Smith and Mulder allrounders and Klaasens playing as pure batsmen. Only 3 'batsmen' in Markram, Bavuma and Zonda and maybe Second.

SeamUp

International Coach
It is an interesting SA 'A' selection, both Smith and Mulder allrounders and Klaasens playing as pure batsmen. Only 3 'batsmen' in Markram, Bavuma and Zonda and maybe Second.
Kuhn and de Bruyn obviously getting a rest for the big one.

But it does look like Bavuma will open ?

Howe_zat

Audio File
This is Second's first first-class match for SA seconds. A first rate innings for Second in seconds (in the first match or the second) could see Second in firsts, any second now.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I saw that as well... an interesting speculative point if he does open.... but we actually need to bat! The SA 'A' bowling attack is not very encouraging.
Agree. Big season ahead for me to find out our fast bowling pecking order for the next batch. Olivier aside we need more numbers from the younger boys like Ngidi, Dupavillon just to affirm our thoughts re: them etc

Bahseph

State Captain
How close is Mulder to being fast tracked like Rabada and De kock? Obvious class. Just not sure what's his stronger suit yet

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
How close is Mulder to being fast tracked like Rabada and De kock? Obvious class. Just not sure what's his stronger suit yet
I think he will be a better batsmen than bowler... but I don't see any fast tracking into test team. Possible fast tracks will be Markram if needed and Ngini if he can keep fit. When QDK moves up the order (which I am sure he will do at some stage) and/or Philander retires then a place for Mulder and possibly Smith.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA 'A' not giving a good batting display. Bavuma top scoring with a 50 as an opener... but failing to convert again.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Should be a good little series this. South Africa in England is the graveyard of England captains.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Hadn't heard of Briggs for ages, checked to find out if he has turned into a batsman, nope, high score of 54 before this game and one fifty in five years.

Briggs still has the record for most matches for England (8) without scoring a run

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It is a shame ''Ashes fever'' will overshadow the series - already some of the players, Root included, are talking as if it is a dress rehearsal for the winter. I do not understand this thinking in the slightest. To me, SA are the most difficult traveling team (in English conditions) in world cricket; it is always a hefty challenge.

Bijed

International Regular
Will Beer went into this match with 14 First-Class wickets @ 51 and came out of it with match figures of 11/91