• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in England 2012

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why does he care? If he does hear it, it's not going to be anywhere near as surprising as if he heard it on another day against another bowler.
because he is not you?

PEWS, are you seriously posting on a cricket forum and deciding what a batsman should or should not care about when he is out there batting in an international game?

bombay_bomber

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well if Stevie Davis wanted to make a definite stand on this, he should have told the bowler AS WELL AS Strauss about it....similar to running on the pitch IMO....everyone on the field should be crystal clear about this...do not think that was great communication from Steve

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Before today I only reckoned you could lose a test match by lunch on Day 1 if batting first. Not so convinced now though - duff selection, duff call after winning the toss, duff bowling from 50% of your attack and duff slip cordon. Of and one of your two decent bowlers has never been trained to run past the stumps instead of into them.

What is it about Leeds? I could easily list half a dozen spectacularly poor performances here, and this is already up there with that little lot.

EDIT
Apparently Gus Fraser has been in touch with TMS saying that Finn has always had this problem. Well that makes everything all right mate. Don't worry about sorting it out at your beloved county.

Agent TBY

International Captain
You guys need to get over this. The batsman obviously gets petrified and is unable to do anything when the bowler hits the stumps at the non-strikers end.

Ashes Cricket 2009 - the most realistic Cricket simulator ever - agrees.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Why does he care? If he does hear it, it's not going to be anywhere near as surprising as if he heard it on another day against another bowler.
Because you are more conscious of it happening.

If a dog ran on the field at long-off for one ball, it wouldn't be much of a distraction. If it stayed on the ground for the next few balls, the batsman would find it a far greater distraction, even if he couldn't see it.

Ruckus

International Captain
Geez looking at that slo mo replay that has to be distracting for the batsman...bails flying all over the place.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So, I look forwards to checking the score at Tea and seeing Saffa 130-6.

Or am I in for yet another doomed trip to Headingley?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean, if it's going to be all right for a bowler to knock the stumps down every over or so for kicks and the batsman's meant to deal with it, then he should also have to deal with the bloke at mid off periodically shining a mirror in his eyes.

Bowl half a step wider you big, useless heap of ****.

Thriel

Banned
O please dont tell me he was not doing it on purpose. they just showed how he bowled previously and how he is bowling now. i took a screenshot.

check the gap difference, and also the angle of his legs.

ANY wickets lost to deaballs this match is Englands own doing, if they cant teach their bowlers to bowl properly, then they cant cry foul...

Uppercut

Because you are more conscious of it happening.

If a dog ran on the field at long-off for one ball, it wouldn't be much of a distraction. If it stayed on the ground for the next few balls, the batsman would find it a far greater distraction, even if he couldn't see it.
The umpire still can't rule that it's only a distraction when it happens for the third time. It'd lead to some ridiculous scenarios. Imagine: Smith gets out first time it happens, Amla gets out the second time it happens, Kallis hits the third one for four and it's counted as a dead ball because it's distracting the batsman.

bombay_bomber

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah and 9/11 was America's doing....WTF?

O please dont tell me he was not doing it on purpose. they just showed how he bowled previously and how he is bowling now. i took a screenshot.

check the gap difference, and also the angle of his legs.

ANY wickets lost to deaballs this match is Englands own doing, if they cant teach their bowlers to bowl properly, then they cant cry foul...

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The umpire still can't rule that it's only a distraction when it happens for the third time. It'd lead to some ridiculous scenarios. Imagine: Smith gets out first time it happens, Amla gets out the second time it happens, Kallis hits the third one for four and it's counted as a dead ball because it's distracting the batsman.
Yeah, it's one of those awful cricket arguments that I really do not want to get into but surley it is either distracting everytime or not at all.

Anyway it would be nice to have a wicket, just one, not too much to ask surley?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sheesh, some of the posting in here is worse than the selections, and choice to bowl first......

Burgey

It doesn't have to distract the batsman adversely every time he does it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It'd also be ridiculous if they called it every time anyone made connection with the stumps.

The more that it happens, the greater a distraction it is.