• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Shane Warne Tribute thread

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a pleasure it has been to watch Warnie bowl. He's the only person I watch non-stop when he's bowling because it seems like something could happen on every ball. Obviously a brilliant cricketing brain too...I was reading an article in the paper today and Ponting was saying how Shane had told him exactly how he was going to get a batsman out after the break, including what would happen on every delivery he bowled to set him up. He could be the best player I'll ever have the pleasure of watching.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
What a pleasure it has been to watch Warnie bowl. He's the only person I watch non-stop when he's bowling because it seems like something could happen on every ball. Obviously a brilliant cricketing brain too...I was reading an article in the paper today and Ponting was saying how Shane had told him exactly how he was going to get a batsman out after the break, including what would happen on every delivery he bowled to set him up. He could be the best player I'll ever have the pleasure of watching.
Exactly what i think too

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Son Of Coco said:
Great player. Don't know about the best player. I don't think he's the best bowler on his team, even. But in terms of exciting cricketer, he has to be right up there.

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
JASON said:
I am sure Warne will keep his promise with regard to funds for Galle.

* Slightly disappointed by the adverse publicity above *:ph34r:
Agreed. And why did SL have to do this at all? Can't they just contact Warnie through CA? I'm sure it's just an oversight on his part.

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
adharcric said:
Gem of a tribute there. Wish I had a chance to watch Warne for a longer portion of his career. :(
I feel very privileged that I had the chance to see it all :cool:

Fusion

Global Moderator
(I asked in the Ashes thread, but want to post here just in case ) Does anyone have a video link to Warne's 700th?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting interview with Brian Lara during the tea break at the MCG today. He was asked where he ranked Warne and McGrath among bowlers he has faced, and he said that Warne was clearly the best bowler he had ever seen or faced.

He said that there are other spinners he has faced who caused him more trouble early in his innings, but that Warne had a unique ability to continue to trouble him as his confidence grew, and said you always felt as a batsman that Warne had something up his sleeve and could get you out.

He was a bit less glowing in his praise for McGrath, but spoke highly of his stamina and his performance in Bridgetown in 1999, and said he was without question one of the best fast bowlers he had faced.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Interesting interview with Brian Lara during the tea break at the MCG today. He was asked where he ranked Warne and McGrath among bowlers he has faced, and he said that Warne was clearly the best bowler he had ever seen or faced.

He said that there are other spinners he has faced who caused him more trouble early in his innings, but that Warne had a unique ability to continue to trouble him as his confidence grew, and said you always felt as a batsman that Warne had something up his sleeve and could get you out.

He was a bit less glowing in his praise for McGrath, but spoke highly of his stamina and his performance in Bridgetown in 1999, and said he was without question one of the best fast bowlers he had faced.
that is kind of interesting because mcgrath has dismissed him 14 times in test cricket to warne's 6 times, i can understand him praising warne but maybe he was really being extra generous in his praise and some ill-feeling with mcgrath over the sarwan incident still lingers....:)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
that is kind of interesting because mcgrath has dismissed him 14 times in test cricket to warne's 6 times, i can understand him praising warne but maybe he was really being extra generous in his praise and some ill-feeling with mcgrath over the sarwan incident still lingers....:)
He did mention that McGrath got him out more times than any other bowler, but said that Warne was "the best bowler, not just the best spinner". I don't know if the Sarwan incident has anything to do with it or not. He may also have been taking the fact that he generally does better against spinners than seamers into account.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
He did mention that McGrath got him out more times than any other bowler, but said that Warne was "the best bowler, not just the best spinner". I don't know if the Sarwan incident has anything to do with it or not. He may also have been taking the fact that he generally does better against spinners than seamers into account.
such praise for a spinner coming from brian lara is flattering indeed, even if that spinner is shane warne....:)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, it is interesting to see how people change their opinions with time (and also based on the place they are at.). In 2001, I distinctly remember both Warne and McGrath claim that Sachin was the best in the world quite easily. Warne actually said something like Sachin is 1st, Daylight is 2nd and Brian Lara is 3rd. But now, after announcing his retirement, he has mentioned that Lara and Sachin are both the best. McGrath himself was generally claiming Sachin to be the best in the world circa 99 and even upto 2001. From then on, it went to "both Sachin and Lara are the best" in 2004 and now, after announcing his retirment, he has said that he will put Lara slightly ahead of Sachin.

Lara, IIRC, in one of his interviews 2 or 3 years ago, claimed that Wasim Akram and Murali were the best bowlers he has faced. Wasim the best fast bowler and Murali the best spinner. Now, he thinks Warney is the best.

And also, when Warney and McGrath made those glowing praises about Sachin, it was either that they were in India or that India were touring Australia. Is it a coincidence? :p

Also, is it a coincidence that Lara speaks so highly of Warne in his hometown? :p

But, to speak more seriously, Lara has been quite vocal in his praise for Warney over the past couple of years. In fact, IIRC, he was the only one apart from the Australian team who spoke up for him in the 2003 WC about his drug ban and stuff. And Warney for his part has been more than just glowing in his assessment of Lara in the recent past. I guess they just realized how good each other was rather late in their careers. :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
Haha, I love it when at other times you try to sound unbiased, and then there are these posts. Mate, I'm not unbiased, I think Warne IS the greatest, but I don't hide it behind some pathetic air of pomposity.

What is also interesting is that Murali reckons Lara is the best batsman and Warne thinks Sachin is harder to get out.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Well, it is interesting to see how people change their opinions with time (and also based on the place they are at.). In 2001, I distinctly remember both Warne and McGrath claim that Sachin was the best in the world quite easily. Warne actually said something like Sachin is 1st, Daylight is 2nd and Brian Lara is 3rd. But now, after announcing his retirement, he has mentioned that Lara and Sachin are both the best. McGrath himself was generally claiming Sachin to be the best in the world circa 99 and even upto 2001. From then on, it went to "both Sachin and Lara are the best" in 2004 and now, after announcing his retirment, he has said that he will put Lara slightly ahead of Sachin...
It might also have to do with Sachin dropping in his legacy a few notches in recent years where now both are quite even in almost all aspects.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
KaZoH0lic said:
Haha, I love it when at other times you try to sound unbiased, and then there are these posts. Mate, I'm not unbiased, I think Warne IS the greatest, but I don't hide it behind some pathetic air of pomposity.

What is also interesting is that Murali reckons Lara is the best batsman and Warne thinks Sachin is harder to get out.
understand this once and for all (if you can, that is):

--i think warne is a great bowler

--i don't think warne is the greatest bowler ever

--i think the guy has been one of the most colourful personalities ever to grace the game

--even outside of stats against lara, i consider glenn mcgrath to be a much greater bowler than shane warne insofar as comparison between a pace bowler and a spin bowler can be made

--i didn't see the actual interview so i didn't get to see what was actually said and it sounded strange to me given the stats i quoted above, the difference is so stark that you don't have to be biased to quote those, fuller helpfully provided some clarification instead of throwing insinuations...if you can understand the difference...

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
honestbharani said:
Well, it is interesting to see how people change their opinions with time (and also based on the place they are at.). In 2001, I distinctly remember both Warne and McGrath claim that Sachin was the best in the world quite easily. Warne actually said something like Sachin is 1st, Daylight is 2nd and Brian Lara is 3rd. But now, after announcing his retirement, he has mentioned that Lara and Sachin are both the best. McGrath himself was generally claiming Sachin to be the best in the world circa 99 and even upto 2001. From then on, it went to "both Sachin and Lara are the best" in 2004 and now, after announcing his retirment, he has said that he will put Lara slightly ahead of Sachin.
Maybe because they're taking the whole careers into account?

Let's face it, there's no real contest between the 2 now as to who is better really is there?

Fusion

Global Moderator
pasag said:
I took this, it doesn't have the wicket, just the celebrations at the end of it. It's shaky as hell as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpM8mtsCzS0
Cool video, thanks for sharing. It gives you a view from the stands, which is interesting to me. Incidently, how close were you sitting? Seems like you had great seats.

P.S: Lol at Andy's comment on the video.