• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

ripper868

International Coach
certainly a more, uh, traditional 6N match this one.

van der Merwe sure is rapid.
Neat little flick that from Russell

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Shades of SBW about the offload from Russell for Steyn's try.

Both the, er, Shetland Saffers (?) on the wings obviously ate the greens, didn't they? Very robust boys both.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This is even more pleasing than last week, I feel like the last 5 years in the Six Nations has just been beat England week 1 and get brought crashing back down to earth by Wales week 2.

Russell has been so good second half.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Scotland South Africa and Ireland in the same world cup group?
Who the **** does the draw for the World Cup 3 years before the event, it's one of the stupidest things I've seen.

If Scotland keep winning games you end up in the stupid situation where you potentially have 3 of the top 5 in one pool, with the other two also on the same side of the draw, freeing up a path to the final for a team ranked 6-10.

ripper868

International Coach
Dour old start to this game...

England getting the rub with the penalties..thought that was pretty clear pen for Italy at the ruck that led to the lineout for the first try

ripper868

International Coach
Love the intent Italy are playing with when they have the ball, Capuozzo looking like he could do anything at any moment.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I mean, we're 19-0 ahead, but we've been very conservative and predictable.

Pretty sure Owenaro has kicked every time he's had it.

If we seriously want to move past a ten man game he's not the stand off to do it.

Nice to see Chessum continuing to show why selecting Jonny Hill was farcical and just plain wrong though. Few things I enjoy more than being proved right.

ripper868

International Coach
Was just thinking the same. Whilst England are comfortably winning this, they've hardly shown anything beyond 10 man rugby. There's credit to be given in closing a game out (like the Irish v France), but this has been a pretty barren test match, despite 4 tries.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yup.

Puts me in mind of any number of grindingly functional wins over the Azzurri we had in the late noughties without ever seriously suggesting we'd be in the shake up for the 6N crown, improbable WC final in 2007 notwithstanding.

Capuozzo has shown a few tantalising glimpses of his quality, but has mostly been muffled effectively.

Ha, breaks the gainline as I type. Boy's very good.

ripper868

International Coach
Well...another try could make the last 15 very interesting...but I expect a fully shut shop very very shortly from the Rose.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Probably the most inventive back play we've managed all game for Arundell's try, low bar as that is.

From two blokes who didn't start. #justsayin'

weeman27bob

International Regular
Obviously we haven't scored a lot from the backs, but I think we've looked perfectly respectable when we have put it through the hands.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Obviously we haven't scored a lot from the backs, but I think we've looked perfectly respectable when we have put it through the hands.
Wouldn't necessarily dispute that, which is why it's so frustrating Farrell kicking away possession every single time.

I'm pleased to be moaning about a performance in victory, don't get me wrong, but just not sure we're moving forwards.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Agree with Smith

SOME mauls are a blight on the game as they are the only facet of rugby where obstruction is legal

Thorn is playing the straw man by making the argument that the next step is to do away with contested scrums & line out when nobody is saying that

People simply want players to be able to contest for the ball and allowing the ball carrier to be shielded behind others prevents that from happening

Unfortunately, the rules are controlled by the NH & there’s no chance of meaningful change

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
These teams are awful, especially Wales. You wonder why they’re kicking away every possession, but as soon as they don’t you always immediately understand.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Given yer Leekists won the slam in 2021 their regression is almost impressive.

But we're scarcely better. Handling and support play especially has been below par, but we have rucked well.