• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The timing isn't ideal, tbf, but the increasing wankness of the team made it hard to see any other outcome.

1 win (and that against Japan) from 4 attempts this autumn isn't good enough.

Think Eddie's been good for us all thing considered, but not sure he's taken us anywhere since the last WC.

Borthwick the favourite to replace him, apparently.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eddie Jones was an amazing coach for England. 3 Six Nations in 7 years and they played phenomenal rugby on their way to the final in his only WC. But you could argue that the general trend was downward, his best England teams were at the beginning of his tenure and recently they've been very poor. Rugby coaches do tend to have a shelf life.

My initial reaction was shock because of the timing, but thinking about it more I don't really believe in the standard 4-year cycle. It gives the players a chance to adjust to how you want to play, but it also gives everyone else a chance to adjust to how you want to play. There'll be advantages to coming into the tournament with fresh ideas, and nine months isn't nothing.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah in terms of results Jones is our best pro era coach by miles since Woodward. And probably a fair bit better in terms of everything else (Brian Ashton was probably hard done to I guess).

I think he's endured worse defeats than this, especially in the six nations, but if he's lost the confidence of the players than it makes sense.

Main thing I'm concerned about is them nicking Borthwick off the Tigs.

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
I don't really believe in the standard 4-year cycle.
South Africa proved that you don't need four years to turn things around, and as you say, nine months isn't nothing. It's still not a great deal of time though, but they would have taken that into consideration and must have decided that brining in someone new even at this late stage is more likely to yield results than sticking with Jones.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Same thing happened with Jones in Australia

Eventually players stopped listening and some of his whack selections & failure to address longstanding issues caught up with him

Burgey

I don't follow the game as closely as most but I thought Rennie had them making some decent advances. As with CA's board, Rugby Aus needs to stop tinkering around the edges and just resign en masse themselves.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If Eddie coaches the wobblies to a world title the RFU's decision to sack him without a clause preventing him from taking over another country before the WC is going to look pretty silly.

Uppercut

If Eddie coaches the wobblies to a world title the RFU's decision to sack him without a clause preventing him from taking over another country before the WC is going to look pretty silly.
Not really coherent though is it? If you think he's worthy of the sack then if anything you should want him coaching a rival.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't follow the game as closely as most but I thought Rennie had them making some decent advances. As with CA's board, Rugby Aus needs to stop tinkering around the edges and just resign en masse themselves.
Maybe it was an inside job as insinuated by some British meat wrappers

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not really coherent though is it? If you think he's worthy of the sack then if anything you should want him coaching a rival.
Dunno. It's pretty standard practice for executives to have non-compete clauses put into their payoff T&Cs, isn't it?

& I don't think he's suddenly become a bad coach, his spell with was just dwindling into ever decreasing circles and had probably reached a natural (save the pending WC) conclusion.

Uppercut

Dunno. It's pretty standard practice for executives to have non-compete clauses put into their payoff T&Cs, isn't it?

& I don't think he's suddenly become a bad coach, his spell with was just dwindling into ever decreasing circles and had probably reached a natural (save the pending WC) conclusion.
Yeah that's because they have inside knowledge of a rival company. Which tbf is probably a big concern here that I hadn't thought of.

Still, I imagine it would be tough to get Eddie to accept it on the day you tell him he's sacked. Seems like a difficult enough conversation as it is.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It might just be me reading too much into Stuff, but I wonder why out of all the photos they had, who chose that close up pic of him taking a drink out of a water bottle.

ripper868

International Coach
I swear Alun Wyn Jones retired 15 years ago, yet he's still out there giving it everything. *this post is from the year 2045*

Howe_zat

Audio File
Welsh having a bit of a second wind after half time but it feels like too little too late really. Nice to see the ref enforcing the penalty on a bloke getting dived on after scoring, often gets overlooked.

Home side were outmuscled in the first half in general but the Lowe interception really felt like killing them off, the one time they had some genuinely nice possession it was another 7 conceded.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Never go back, is the old cliche. Looks like Gatland has quite the job on his hands.

Yer Micks look a proper team though; hard to see past them or the French this year.