• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Howe_zat

Audio File
I can't even really see it as a money decision seeing as the Force have more fans than the Rebels do, not to mention a lot more success, and half a continent almost to themselves for a market.

Seems like the lazier decision if nything.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I can't even really see it as a money decision seeing as the Force have more fans than the Rebels do, not to mention a lot more success, and half a continent almost to themselves for a market.

Seems like the lazier decision if nything.
Think it's more about the potential market size for the franchise. Melbourne has well over twice the population of Perth.

My take is the ARU preferred a foothold in the second biggest marketplace based on what might be rather than what is.

However one looks at it the Australian union have moved their own goalposts though. Something about WA convinced them to make the Force Australia's fourth Super franchise but now, despite outperforming the Rebels on field and off, they're being sacrificed on the alter of the nebulous potential of the market in Melbourne.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tbh, the culling of the Force is really just the public face of the train wreck that is Australian rugby

Fact is that the sport is dying a slow death with participation rates in the toilet (Rugby union popularity rates plummeting in Australia | Newshub) and general interest as low as I have ever seen it

How did it come to this?

The ARU took the short term gain option and, as a result, very little of the game can be seen on free tv apart from the Wallabies

Unfortunately, the Wallabies are basically a standing joke atm so TV ratings are down with only 2 matches in 2016 being among the top 100 most watched football matches of 2016 with its best performance coming in at no. 50

Aside from the odd match or highlight package, no Super Rugby is seen on free to air and that competition's issues are compounded by the fact that its format is not only incomprehensible to most but the majority have no allegiance to the franchise system anyway

Factor in the ARU's top-down approach where most of the game's (limited) financial resources are directed at the pro game plus rabid competition from other sports and union in this country is literally staring into the abyss with a lot more pain coming its way

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
no chance of SARU putting a team in Perth?

makes more business sense than playing in Pontypridd every other week
No.... playing in Pontypridd makes more logistic sense for SA, and opens up another money making market. Better than playing in Aus where there is no money for rugby anyway.

Spark

Global Moderator
Have watched ten minutes. Seen about five hundred missed tackles and no defensive organisation worthy of the name already. Think that'll do me.

social

It's amazing that the vast majority of keyboard warriors that post on rugby forums can correctly pinpoint the errors that the Wallaby selectors make and yet the guys paid to do the job can't

Spark

Global Moderator
It's amazing that the vast majority of keyboard warriors that post on rugby forums can correctly pinpoint the errors that the Wallaby selectors make and yet the guys paid to do the job can't
From the Super Rugby I watched this year (admittedly the least I've watched since I was in primary school) I don't think selection would make one whit of difference

social

From the Super Rugby I watched this year (admittedly the least I've watched since I was in primary school) I don't think selection would make one whit of difference
Don't think they would have a prayer against the ABs in any event but they are making it doubly hard by playing with an unbalanced back row, players being selected out of position and are implementing ridiculously complicated defensive structures to compensate for guys that can't defend in the positions in which they are picked

It's a cluster ****