• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I was also disappointed with the *** ******* media mocking Cheika as a clown. Very disappointing stuff...

You should always show respect to your opponents and the jersey.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree that was poor by our media, although lest us forget this little beauty from a few years before Aussies start getting rich about cheap satire.

Zinzan

Other than it being over, the best thing that can be said about the Wallabies' season is that we have blooded many new players and you'd hope that one or more might turn into stars of the future.

Reality is that we've been thrashed by the Abs, beaten easily by a developing England, lost away to the worst Springbok team in living memory, still dont seem to be any closer to finding our best combination and the game itself is being overrun by other codes in Australia with the ARU in complete denial

Really is a mess
A good end of year tour could change a lot of that.

Zinzan

It was a bloody terrible decision, I can't understand it one bit.
It was a tough one in that..... Was Savea going to get to him and stop him scoring? Almost certainly not.

However, was it technically obstructing a players ability to make the tackle by seemingly changing his line slightly (even if it was unlikely), then the answer is yes, so technically it was a penalty, even though logically everyone knew he wasn't likely going to get him.

I think the bigger point is that in rugby, they don't look at the big picture of whether it would have actually mattered in reality, whereas the NRL are much more realistic about whether it would have made a difference to the try being scored.. ie. their obstruction interpretations.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
you do get to change your line though. You don't have to get out of the way of anyone - you're not in front of your teammate, you're behind him. You're lining up to take a pass.

The changing your line stuff is meant to be when you're in front of a player.

Mike5181

International Captain
There was a non-zero chance of chasing the player down, and he did it intentionally. I probably would've given the try, but I can understand the rationale. If Savea had pulled out an ankle tap or something and saved the try, you have to give him the opportunity to do that. You can't go and obstruct chasing players without the ball.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If you're in front of a person, chasing the ball, you're allowed to change your line. They're behind you. You might need to get in position for the pass or kick or take an offload. It's not your problem if they're behind you.

"Changing lines" is completely irrelevant.

It's also irrelevant if you potentially block someone from making a tackle. You have just as much right to run any line you want as they do.

Mike5181

International Captain
Changing your line =/= visibly obstructing someone by either purposely pushing or putting your shoulder into him

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Agree that their was zero chance of him chasing the player down, but you are not allowed to obstruct/take-out another player off the ball, which was clearly done in this case. While it could be argued that he was moving into a position to support the ball carrier, it clearly (at least for me) was not the case... the minute it was decided that he should be penalized for obstructing the player, the try could not count as the obstruction happened before the try was scored. It was, while apparently harsh for the try scorer, the correct decision in my mind.

But all this is irrelevant as the number of try`s scored in the last 20 min was always going to happen, NZ have done this against every team for 2 years now where they are just fitter and have a better bench strength and tend to rack up at least 2+ tries in the last twenty. The only team in the world who has a hope of touching the Blacks at the moment is a combined Lions team, trained and coached exceptionally well.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Changing your line =/= visibly obstructing someone by either purposely pushing or putting your shoulder into him
I can agree with this, and if this is what the referee had said it might be a little closer to being fair. But the referee said at least three times that he "changed his line" or whatever. Which is a completel mis-comprehension of the rules, IMO.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
6 tries to 1 doesnt lie and the ABs also had AT LEAST one legitimate try disallowed BUT that was an absolutely ridiculous decision

HP was stupid to stick out an arm, etc but Savea did the same beforehand whilst another AB tried to hold HP back earlier in the play

If the TMO had any sense whatsoever, he simply would have concluded that the try was inevitable and the rest evened itself out

ripper868

International Coach
Section S14, Row KK if your keen for a beer. I'll be in the Wallabies Jersey with a "Joubert was right" hat on.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
YES!!!

Congratulations to Ireland! Tremendous boil over from the 2014 test and an amazing feat to achieve the win in Chicago during the same week that the Cubs broke their curse. Completely outplayed *** ****** both physically and tactically. Switched the point of attack in possession, kicked for touch brilliantly (a lost art in *** ******* rugby), quick off the line when *** ******* went wide and even snuffed out *** ******* attack with the choke tackle.

*** ******* didn't miss Retallick and Whitelock at all. The comeback wasn't exciting because the Irish held their nerve and stamped home their authority on a win they richly deserved. Can’t wait for the rematch in Dublin to see if *** ******* have an answer.

Joe Moody is quickly becoming my favourite player. Aaron Smith didn’t cover himself in glory.

Ireland completely outplayed *** ******* with their kicking game. Their kicks for touch were far superior to *** *******'s and they slaughtered *** ******* with their kick-chase game.

The *** ******* discipline and line out woes compounded matters in terms of lost possession, but Ireland were tactically superior as well. They carried the ball inside their own 22, worked hard at changing the point of attack and avoided kicking the ball back to *** ******* and giving them counter attack opportunities.

Defensively, they read *** *******'s attacking patterns and did a good job of cutting *** ******* down on the flanks and holding up our runners in midfield. During the comeback, *** ******* lifted their intensity and cleared the rucks with blinding speed but who knows why it took so long to bring that physicality to the test.

When Moody was binned we saw the difference between this team and the one with Carter, McCaw and Conrad Smith. I doubt they would have allowed Ireland to score so many points in that period.

Things I want to see

1. Much more of the Savea/Smith/Naholo combination, please.
2. Kaino must start at lock against every top team.
3. It was a great call to leave Barrett on the bench.
4. I'm happy Aaron Smith started. Those passes he threw before he was hooked were desperate 78th minute stuff in your own 22.

This *** ******* side is now suffering the indignity of being the only *** ****** that has lost to Ireland. They were charged with the pedigree of carrying on the undefeated legacy, and now it seems like their massive 18-Test streak counts for nothing.

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
Was at Aus v Scotland on Saturday, absolutely cracking atmosphere. Lucky to get away with the win, was impressed with the intent Scotland played with, good attacking rugby - their first try was an absolute dream. Feel Australia was wasteful again, and probably needed to take the tackle instead of going for the miracle offload on more than one occasion. Happy with the win though!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I went to HQ for the England/Boks test. Still lousy with cold now, but that's beside my point.

Odd game. I can't recall ever being in a stadium where the home team is banishing a ten year hoodoo where the outcome felt so inevitable. After Youngs sold his first dummy it was always a question of how many. The lack of tension amongst the faithful was, I suppose a testament to how far Sir Eddie has dragged us in a year.

Shame we won't be facing the ABs this autumn to see how close we are to them now. Although I fully expect to see an England - dominated Lions when we square up in NZ next year. Can see places for North, Halfpenny, ***ton, Warburton and Roberts, in descending order of likelihood but the engine room should be 100% Red Rose.