• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
messam is very very good though
he's good in loose attack/counter-attack type games that generally happen against Aussie teams where his sevens skills really come to the fore, but he can be pretty invisible against SA/Argentina style forward packs.

He's not particularly good at creating go forward ball out of nothing. He needs broken play to thrive.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Realise I'm very late to this, and hindsight's a great thing, but what were the thoughts on Beale at 10 last week? I was surprised they didn't go with Foley (not that I profess to be an expert).

Have to say, despite the conditions last week I really enjoyed the game. Hard and uncompromising. But I fear what will happen this evening.

Harking back a few weeks, the Super 15 final was one of the best games of football across any code I've seen in ages. Crusaders were magnificent given they lost Carter so early.

One thing I've noticed about rugby which I really enjoy. The ref might give a dodgy/ contentious decision, but it isnt dwelt on for ages with endless replays during the game. They get on with it. Contrast with league which is ****ting me no end atm with the agonizing over every 50:50 call.

Last edited:

dermo

International Vice-Captain
i've said this to a few people this week but it was the sort of game where if you didnt/did think beale was the man to play 10 then that game wasnt going to change your mind, deserves another shot in dry conditions at the very least

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not much to say about the game. NZ were determined to make amends for last week. Australia took a bad yellow card and got hammered with the man advantage. After that we had too big a lead and could afford to play expressively which led to more points.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
completely outclassed by a far superior team, white and beale will cop a lot of **** for that because they're easy targets but the entire team was comprehensively out played, particularly in the forwards

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if our players are that much better. I just think we had the better game plan on the night.

Also I am convinced that we must train for 15 vs 14 situations because we are close to unstoppable with the man advantage while Australia has had a couple of cracks at us now with a man in hand over the past two weeks and has not made us pay.

I don't know how to weigh in on Beale as I will need to watch the game again. I barely remember him doing anything right or wrong, my mind is just full of AB highlight reels.
If you forced me into a corner and poked me with sharp sticks until I said something then I would say that I thought he went better than last week but that Australia always seemed to be on the back foot or going backwards and some of that needs to come back to your 1st 5s ability to move the team around the field. Still I just don't remember him touching the ball much. I don't think we let him play well.

How about Barrett shutting down Folau on the break away - never thought I would see that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He is the 2nd best front rower in the world behind Bismark. He would be easily in the world XV and he doesn't get any press in any of the media (that I have access to)
Alex Corbisiero says "hi".

Wouldn't have too many Poms in a World XV (Lawes and Launchbury would be in the shake up, but that's probably about it), but our big, American-born, Italian-surnamed loosehead would be in there.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Alex Corbisiero says "hi".

Wouldn't have too many Poms in a World XV (Lawes and Launchbury would be in the shake up, but that's probably about it), but our big, American-born, Italian-surnamed loosehead would be in there.
Most of England's pack is world class using the CW definition of world class. They impressed me no end in the series against us. Some of your backs need significant coaching.

James

Cricket Web Owner
remember this from last year?

He's ridiculously fast. Supremely talented player but still just behind Cruden.
Definitely, would be interesting to see speed tests from players within the All Blacks. Was a breathtaking performance and was interesting to hear people comparing it with the 1996 match in Wellington.

For me, the Wallabies are still light and poor in the tight five and lack players who can give any decent go forward. They'll only win one of their remaining games IMO and that will be against Argentina. They'll lose both Springbok matches and lose to Argentina in Argentina. I'll be happy to eat my words, but I'm shocked that this Wallabies team is talked up as much as it is.

All eyes will be on Folau come the end of this Rugby season to see if he sticks around for the World Cup or not. Perhaps he'll think a return to NRL and a crack at State of Origin will give him more.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Most of England's pack is world class using the CW definition of world class. They impressed me no end in the series against us. Some of your backs need significant coaching..
Corbs missed the tour as his main flaw is that he's very injury prone.

If the big lad stays fit he'll be the bedrock on which our WC tilt is built.

WIngs and inside centre are our big areas for concern. & I remain unconvinced by Robshaw as a 7, but appear in the minority on that one.

Hoepfully when big Sam Burgess makes the move over to the senior code he might be able to do an SBW-styley job for us at #12.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
For me, the Wallabies are still light and poor in the tight five and lack players who can give any decent go forward.
They should consider asking someone like Palu to convert into a lock. They need more grunt in that tight 5 as Slipper is the only one providing anything.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Corbs missed the tour as his main flaw is that he's very injury prone.

If the big lad stays fit he'll be the bedrock on which our WC tilt is built.

WIngs and inside centre are our big areas for concern. & I remain unconvinced by Robshaw as a 7, but appear in the minority on that one.

Hoepfully when big Sam Burgess makes the move over to the senior code he might be able to do an SBW-styley job for us at #12.
I like your first choice ten Farrell. He is quality. Your back up Burns is a worry and does not have self awareness and attempts to execute plays that better players wouldn't take on and ends up doing something counter productive such as kicking the ball out on the full on not kicking it ten from a kick off.

I love Manu at 13 and believe him to be the best 13 in the world.

Nothing wrong with Yarde on the wing and your full back.

Ashton gave away two tries in ten minutes against us. If you can't find a good winger then just put a midfielder out there who can tackle.

As for your 12 - even if you don't get Burgess - just put a role player there who accepts his limitations. Twelve trees and Burrell mistakenly had big reputations and their press had gone to their heads and they kept turning the ball over trying to make things happen.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Definitely, would be interesting to see speed tests from players within the All Blacks. Was a breathtaking performance and was interesting to hear people comparing it with the 1996 match in Wellington.

For me, the Wallabies are still light and poor in the tight five and lack players who can give any decent go forward. They'll only win one of their remaining games IMO and that will be against Argentina. They'll lose both Springbok matches and lose to Argentina in Argentina. I'll be happy to eat my words, but I'm shocked that this Wallabies team is talked up as much as it is.

All eyes will be on Folau come the end of this Rugby season to see if he sticks around for the World Cup or not. Perhaps he'll think a return to NRL and a crack at State of Origin will give him more.
They will run us close in Brisbane. They will bounce back. I am expecting them to beat SA based on how much SA is struggling with the Argies.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I love Manu at 13 and believe him to be the best 13 in the world.
I wish Rene Ranger would come back. Quite ridiculous that he's not playing international rugby.

I also think Piutau should give centre a go.

I wouldn't mind if they gave Tim Nanai Williams a go at second 5 either. Crotty was good last night though.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oz were rubbish

I am consistently amazed at how guys who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars per year can be so bad at the basics

For example, Palu's only job in minute one was to take the ball up and set it back

Could he do it?

**** no

That set the stage and we were appalling from that moment on

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I wish Rene Ranger would come back. Quite ridiculous that he's not playing international rugby.

I also think Piutau should give centre a go.

I wouldn't mind if they gave Tim Nanai Williams a go at second 5 either. Crotty was good last night though.
Yeah Rene gave up to soon.

Did you see Nanai Williams "D up" on the weekend and smash that guy? He has been told by the selectors to work on his tackling and he has been listening.

As much as I hate Crotty - the fact that he doesn't make any mistakes and just does his core role impresses me.