• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agreed

Much of it was total rubbish really

We're coming towards the pointy end of the season in the major footballing codes here and the differences in skill levels between players in League/AFL and Rugby is absolutely massive

Has to be a major worry for the ARU

91Jmay

International Coach
South Hemp. obviously more skilled but at times I feel the game being so loose can lead to periods of sloppy play. North hemp. slower paced but more structure to it. Obviously when they face each other generally south much better though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I enjoyed SA manhandling the Aussie Pack. They intimidated the aussies somewhat. Were it not for the man advantage SA win that game.

Pleased though Aussie got up in the end. Foley did himself no favours and laid an egg in the game except for his goal kicking.

Beale looked incredible in the 12 jersey. Possibly the best attacking 12 in the world. Some people are just saying his defence is too suspect to get the start at 12. But he won the game basically.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yeah I'm getting less impressed with the way a yellow card influences a game. Spoils it imo. I realise its an opportunity for sides to step up as the ABs did but they are exceptions.

I'd tentatively suggest a yellow card penalty where the offending player stays on the field but the receiving side gets a shot on goal in front on their opponent's quarter line. Should they convert then a re start with the receiving side getting a choice of lineout or scrum 10 metres out.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I'm getting less impressed with the way a yellow card influences a game. Spoils it imo. I realise its an opportunity for sides to step up as the ABs did but they are exceptions.

I'd tentatively suggest a yellow card penalty where the offending player stays on the field but the receiving side gets a shot on goal in front on their opponent's quarter line. Should they convert then a re start with the receiving side getting a choice of lineout or scrum 10 metres out.
It does seem like half the time they call them they get it wrong.

Hopefully in the world cup they (the refs) will step up their games.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I had thought McCaw was becoming a bit of a liability at the beginning of this season, but he's improved. I still think Cane is better but it's no longer an issue of him blatantly being held back by sentimentality.

Carter though is going to have a lot to prove to be first choice, or even second choice when he comes back from injury. At his best his all round game is more complete than either Cruden or Barrett, but those two are just straight up playing better than him.

I love the Cruden-Barrett battle. Cruden has better defense, better footwork close to the line, offloading, and more vision. But Barrett has better pace, a better punt, and a Mertens-esque long pass.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
tbf i didnt see much of the nz game on the weekend but mccaws second game against the wallabies was insane, still the best 7 in world rugby for sure and i'm a big hooper fan

ripper868

International Coach
McCaw is a cheating **** who only picks fights with wimpy wallaby five-eighths, then gets upset when they take it to him (his blues with Cooper and Larkham spring to mind)

I of course say the above in jest, he is a brilliant player.

Argentina will roll us this weekend.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Australia to win by 20+
NZ to win by 20+

Take a $5 multi on both teams covering a 7 point spread.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
tbf i didnt see much of the nz game on the weekend but mccaws second game against the wallabies was insane, still the best 7 in world rugby for sure and i'm a big hooper fan
He used to have those types of games every week, minus the stupid infringement that gave away the yellow.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He used to have those types of games every week, minus the stupid infringement that gave away the yellow.
Indeed,

I first clapped eyes on him in the 2003 world cup. I thought Jesus Christ had put on an All Blacks Jersey. I had never seen anyone play like that.

There is no question that he is not at the same level now, but he is still capable of the odd good showing. He is somewhat inconsistent now. Lets see how he goes on Saturday.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The major thing he's lost is his ball running. He had all the attributes of a 7 in terms of defense and turnover ability (still does) but then he also could run like the best number 8s.

There was a few years where pretty much every game he topped the tackle count and first-to-ruck stats and was usually very high up on metres gained too.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The major thing he's lost is his ball running. He had all the attributes of a 7 in terms of defense and turnover ability (still does) but then he also could run like the best number 8s.

There was a few years where pretty much every game he topped the tackle count and first-to-ruck stats and was usually very high up on metres gained too.
In the 2003 game I saw he would have won that stat by a country mile. I had never seen and have never seen since a work rate like that.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah, as a 7 you're expected to lead your side in that area but not to the extent that McCaw does.

My major gripe with Messam is that even in his good games he's never close to topping the tackle count or getting to the rucks quickest. He makes a few good runs but his basic work rate has never been good enough, IMO.