• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
According to TMS the A team/development squad will be based in Perth like last time. So a reserve opener can be stationed there, and potentially a wicket keeper too, as well as extra bowling backup. Though I think after last summer with Prior and Haddin they may well have the keeper with the main squad.

tooextracool

International Coach
One would think we would take at least 5 fast bowlers

Bell in for Morgan for the first XI then

Morgan
2 of Bresnan/Shazad/Sidebottom
Panesar/Rashid
Probably Luke Wright

Wouldn't think we would take a spare opener or wicketkeeper, would just call them up if we get an injury. Not my choices, but what I think they will go with
Why are we still talking about Sidebottom? We have at least 4 options better than him (Onions, Shazad, Bresnan, Finn) when he is fully fit, considering hes barely even playing at that level on a regular basis there are probably 15-20 better bowling options.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm worried about the lack of competitive cricket we'll get this winter ahead of India's visit next year...:unsure:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Do people think Finn has a good chance of making the starting XI come November? Looking likely at the minute. Not sure how he'll go over there.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If they pick him for tests in England for which he's not especially well-suited they'll definitely have him in the side on fast, bouncy Australian tracks.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Do people think Finn has a good chance of making the starting XI come November? Looking likely at the minute. Not sure how he'll go over there.
Not sure who else would be? I was trying to think who the five quicks were going to be... Jimmy, Broad, Finn... Shazhad and Bresnan maybe? I wish Sidebottom or someone experienced could go in with Shazhad.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, what's the latest on Onions? Unlikely he'll go now sadly, I guess.

Anderson, Broad, Finn, Shazhah, Bresnan/Sidebottom/Plunkett ?

Then presumably Swann & Tredwell are the spinners

So the squad, for my money

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Morgan

Anderson
Broad
Finn
Swann
Shazhad
Plunkett
Tredwell

Prior
Kieswetter

Not sure on Plunkett or the spare keeper but reckon that if they stay fit the rest can book their flights, actually.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Morgan

Anderson
Broad
Finn
Swann
Shazhad
Plunkett
Tredwell

Prior
Kieswetter

Not sure on Plunkett or the spare keeper but reckon that if they stay fit the rest can book their flights, actually.
- Is Adil Rashid a chance over Tredwell? Rashid looks to be taking quite a fair few first class wickets this season.

- Plunkett was quite impressive last time England were in Oz, particularly in the ODIs.

- The 7 batsman you named should definitely tour, if Strauss or Cook gets injured, would you be confident in someone else from the squad you've named opening?

So much depth in England these days..

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Morgan

Anderson
Broad
Finn
Swann
Shazhad
Plunkett
Tredwell

Prior
Kieswetter

Yeah, I'd kinda go with that. I'd rather have Rashid I think over Tredwell, and I'm not sure about Kieswetter. I guess I just wish we had one more quick with a decent amount of experience.

Though, I did see Harmy putting himself forward in an interview this week. :ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
- Is Adil Rashid a chance over Tredwell? Rashid looks to be taking quite a fair few first class wickets this season.

- Plunkett was quite impressive last time England were in Oz, particularly in the ODIs.

- The 7 batsman you named should definitely tour, if Strauss or Cook gets injured, would you be confident in someone else from the squad you've named opening?

So much depth in England these days..
Not sure on Rashid, adds depth with the bat but doesn't appear to be in the Test plans currently. They misused him really by having him play limited overs stuff. We'll see though, wouldn't be a shock if he toured as if we need a second spinner (maybe at Sydney?) then he doesn't weaken the batting too much.

Plunkett hasn't played for England since 2007 I don't think but IIRC he toured not too long ago so he's someone they keep an eye on...and he's only about 25 or 26.

The opener question is one I was thinking of when I listed my squad. Bell opened in India once, er other than that, not so much. People say Trott could do it but I don't think he's really opened in FC cricket. I'm not sure.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure on Rashid, adds depth with the bat but doesn't appear to be in the Test plans currently. They misused him really by having him play limited overs stuff. We'll see though, wouldn't be a shock if he toured as if we need a second spinner (maybe at Sydney?) then he doesn't weaken the batting too much.

Plunkett hasn't played for England since 2007 I don't think but IIRC he toured not too long ago so he's someone they keep an eye on...and he's only about 25 or 26.

The opener question is one I was thinking of when I listed my squad. Bell opened in India once, er other than that, not so much. People say Trott could do it but I don't think he's really opened in FC cricket. I'm not sure.
Didn't Trott open in Bangladesh when we only played 5 batsmen?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Adil has done enough this year, to be the second spinner for me. He's gone back to County Cricket and really performed after his premature elevation to the team.

Really don't want Plunkers there, he's not had a great season, and he'd be fodder on Oz pitches in Tests, the way he gets smashed by counties at times is poor. Would rather go for someone like Woakes or even Bres or Amjad. Let's face it if Onions can get half-fit, he's a better option really then all of these guys, and wouldn't be surprisedif he makes it on the plane, even with next to no games.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Adil has done enough this year, to be the second spinner for me. He's gone back to County Cricket and really performed after his premature elevation to the team.

Really don't want Plunkers there, he's not had a great season, and he'd be fodder on Oz pitches in Tests, the way he gets smashed by counties at times is poor. Would rather go for someone like Woakes or even Bres or Amjad. Let's face it if Onions can get half-fit, he's a better option really then all of these guys, and wouldn't be surprisedif he makes it on the plane, even with next to no games.
If Plunkers would be fodder, Woakes would be doubly so. Not tall, not quick and relies on the ball nibbling around on a good length. On the harder pitches down under I can't see him prospering. V much an old school English seamer.

Onions is def the kiddy if he's fit, as you say, but if not the 5th seamer will probs be Tiny Tim. Myself, I'd probably take Kirby, as left field as that is. Wrong side of 30, but is tall and still nippy.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Either/or??? Ishant and Roach got ****ing smashed in Australia!
Roach was good in Australia.

Finn's played the last 5 Tests and was rested from all cricket to work on his strength and conditioning - you'd have to figure that he must feature in the plans for Australia.