• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 4 - Sri Lanka v England

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tooextracool

International Coach
So what about England's ODI side for this game? My personal opinion is that we might need Collingwood, not just for his experience in SL conditions against Murali, but also for his dibbly dobblies given the way our front line pacers have done this tournament.

Strauss
Bell
Trott
Bopara
Morgan
Collingwood
Prior
Bresnan
Tredwell
Swann
Anderson

Seems harsh on Wright, but I suspect that for this game Collingwood might be the right choice. Gives us more bowling options.

Himannv

International Coach
SL could go from an already very good team to a scary one if they could get Mahela to open with Dilshan, IMO. Obviously, assuming they can get someone pretty good for the middle-order slot as well. Not that Tharanga's bad, just not threatening enough against the best teams, I feel.
Agreed. A team like this would have been much stronger:

Dilshan
Mahela
Sanga
Chandimal
Samaraweera
Mathews
Perera/Kapu
Randiv
Malinga
Herath/Mendis
Murali

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
My SL XI;

1. Tharanga
  2. Dilshan
  3. Sanga
  4. Mahela
  5. Samaraweera
  6. Mathews
  7. Perera/Kapu
  8. Malinga
  9. Murali
  10. Herath
  11. Mendis

I am **** scared about Swann against our middle order, but England got to deal with 30 overs of our spin.
Dilshan, Mahela, Sam, Perera, Silva will play him withe ease. I am nervous when Swann is against Tharanga, Sanga and Mathews.

My team would be, MJ, Dilshan, Sanga, Sam, Silva, Mathews, Perera, Kule, Herath, Malinga, Murali.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed. A team like this would have been much stronger:

Dilshan
Mahela
Sanga
Chandimal
Samaraweera
Mathews
Perera
Randiv
Kulasekara
Malinga
Murali
Those guys are not good at BJs. Either not in the squad or will not be in the first XI.

Jacknife

International Captain
So what about England's ODI side for this game? My personal opinion is that we might need Collingwood, not just for his experience in SL conditions against Murali, but also for his dibbly dobblies given the way our front line pacers have done this tournament.

Strauss
Bell
Trott
Bopara
Morgan
Collingwood
Prior
Bresnan
Tredwell
Swann
Anderson

Seems harsh on Wright, but I suspect that for this game Collingwood might be the right choice. Gives us more bowling options.
Yes, it's what I'd go with and they've got to go with Bell up front, but I know Bell has said they've wanted him to combat the spinners in the middle overs, but in a interview, he put his hand up to open.
Like you say, harsh on Wright, but it's a horses for courses pick with Colly and hopefully he can finally come to the party with the bat. Hopefully this little lay off for Jimmy, will give him that bit extra and find some rhythm and accuracy.

pup11

International Coach
I think England only have a chance if they put up a good bowling effort becuase I think Sri Lanka really lacks batting depth and the day Sanga and Mahela don't click they could be in real trouble.

England have a better chance if they bat first because if they chase one would have to think Sri Lanka with their bowling attack would get the better of the English batting line-up.

Its important that England get Anderson switched on for this game, they are playing in humid conditions in Colombo so the ball definitely would swing and those are perfect conditions for Anderson.

Also I know there is little chance of this happening but handing the keeping gloves to either Colly or Morgan and either Collingwood or Bell opening the batting with Strauss are moves well worth considering.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think England only have a chance if they put up a good bowling effort becuase I think Sri Lanka really lacks batting depth and the day Sanga and Mahela don't click they could be in real trouble.

England have a better chance if they bat first because if they chase one would have to think Sri Lanka with their bowling attack would get the better of the English batting line-up.

Its important that England get Anderson switched on for this game, they are playing in humid conditions in Colombo so the ball definitely would swing and those are perfect conditions for Anderson.

Also I know there is little chance of this happening but handing the keeping gloves to either Colly or Morgan and either Collingwood or Bell opening the batting with Strauss are moves well worth considering.
I think you always some radical ideas up your sleeve pup :).........I agree with a lot of what you have to say but I think that your suggestions always seem to be chopping and changing the status quo..........a little too much for my liking though.......I think with the likes of Akmal showing how important wk is i think that is one suit other teams would be better off not touching.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You what?!

I've read some rubbish in my time, but that goes in at the top of the pile.

Lostman

State Captain
I am nervous when Swann is against Tharanga, Sanga and Mathews.

My team would be, MJ, Dilshan, Sanga, Sam, Silva, Mathews, Perera, Kule, Herath, Malinga, Murali.
Tharanga is an epic minnow basher, I will be pleasantly surprised if he gets to double digits on Saturday. He is guaranteed to play and open as well, so we just got to deal with it.:dry:
Also no way that Herath plays and Mendis does not. Only way Herath plays is if 3 spinners are chosen. I actually prefer 3 spinners, with Herath bowling with the newish ball, has done quite well doing this.
Mendis has also been bowling pretty well. His accuracy is close to 08 levels with only a few half trackers.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Is there any feasible way of dropping Prior? If Morgan is willing to take the gloves then at the very least it'd open up a spot.

Wright opening is an idea I'm coming around to even if it's far from ideal. If he's going to play (which he will, after his dodgy-but-effective-and-ultimately-crucial-40-odd) he needs a proper role and opening at least gives him that.

Bres and Swann are a given. Playing 2 spinners seems forced because we're running out of quicks, but works out okay given they won us the match against the Windies. Any of Anderson, Tremlett or Dernbach will do really, none of them inspire much confidence and any could work in theory.

Strauss
Wright
Trott
Bell
Morgan
Bopara
Colly
Bresnan
Swann
Tredwell
AN other

I almost don't care about team selection any more. Nothing has been logical in England's campaign anyway.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think England's campaign will either end here in an epic thrashing.. or they'll hiccup and stumble all the way to the big prize.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
After watching the way the Bangladesh spinners choked England's batters I fully expect Murali and Mendis to be all over England's batsman.

Sri Lanka for a comfortable win!

FBU

International Debutant
Sri Lanka need to play Fernando.

v England

16 matches 36 wickets at 20.05 econ 5.27 s/r 22.8 - Fernando
17 matches 26 wickets at 23.76 econ 3.73 s/r 38.1 - Murali
12 matches 26 wickets at 23.31 econ 4.90 s/r 28.5 - Malinga

Maybe it will be the battle of the slower ball, whose is most deceptive, Fernando or Dernbach. Bopara at the last WC. 2 runs needed to win from the last ball - stumps scattered by Fernando.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
wow........never thought that fernando could be half decent....quite impressive against England