• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 3 - New Zealand v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha where am I confident btw? I think India can win. I'm not confident they will win by any means.

You also ignored my point regarding SA's mental fragility, which plays into their batting lineup.

Plus, batting in ODIs is more important as vcs and others have pointed out. Especially on Indian soil.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Couple of hours now since the end of the game. Am close to tears with joy right now. It's been a tough couple of weeks for me, personally, and really heading into this game, I was just hoping we wouldnt get mangled and embarassed. To win is almost unbelievable. Jacob Oram...I knew he could do it. Great bowler, great cricketer, great heart. The entire team never gave up...I've never been prouder to be an NZ cricket fan. Whoops, there go the water-works. All of the misery and pain of the last 12 months has been worth it.

I remember when I was 6 years old, watching Kiwi cricket hopes being dashed by a young Inzamam in the 1992 world cup in the semi-final. Despite the heart-ache, that was the moment that crystalised my love of cricket, and in particular of the New Zealand team. Since that time, New Zealand has never won a WC elimination match. We did ourselves proud in 1996 against the Aussies, and surprised everyone by making the semi's in 1999.

But this tops everything. I'm speechless. I'm humbled. Well done lads. You've only got a day or two to celebrate, but you deserve every minute of it.

God I love cricket.

smash84

The Tiger King
Batting > Bowling in ODIs in terms of importance.

?
dwta

However a hearty congratulations to the Kiwi fans. I just came back after 2.5 hours and was expecting to see SA coasting home. Instead NZ have pulled off a stunner.

Well done NZ.......wish you all the best for the next match

Woodster

International Captain
Am delighted for NZ, no-one was giving them a chance before the game, myself included, yet once again they relished the underdog tag and came through. Can't wait to catch up with the highlights later.

I didn't believe SA could do it again, yet once again when presented with an excellent opportunity to get into the latter stages of the tournament, they blow it. Their batting depth was always a concern for me, but having such a strong top order covered that up to a degree earlier in the competition.

If England beat Sri Lanka it would be a most unlikely semi-final match up!!Well I can dream aswell can't I ?

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Every time people here related SA and choke i thought it was a bit overrated, but after today i am a believer too. SA just crumbled under pressure. I am sure it must have pained. And the talk of chokers would hurt them more. NZ played brilliantly, specially in the field. That catch by Oram and the run-out of Guptill really turned the game around. But finally Cricket wins. What a game!!! :)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Just watched the highlights on Youtube. Allan Donald was pretty happy at the end of the game, hugging the rest of the NZ camp!

99*

International Debutant
Great result. Oram immense, Ryder played well, but could have done so much more imo.

Feel for the Saffie fans, must be like watching us in union KO matches.

Want England to win so bad now, have a chance against them. SL not so much.

Himannv

International Coach
Just got home after a long night of drinking with some friends and watching the match. Awesome stuff NZ, absolutely fantastic. Best WC ever.

Himannv

International Coach
Couple of hours now since the end of the game. Am close to tears with joy right now. It's been a tough couple of weeks for me, personally, and really heading into this game, I was just hoping we wouldnt get mangled and embarassed. To win is almost unbelievable. Jacob Oram...I knew he could do it. Great bowler, great cricketer, great heart. The entire team never gave up...I've never been prouder to be an NZ cricket fan. Whoops, there go the water-works. All of the misery and pain of the last 12 months has been worth it.

I remember when I was 6 years old, watching Kiwi cricket hopes being dashed by a young Inzamam in the 1992 world cup in the semi-final. Despite the heart-ache, that was the moment that crystalised my love of cricket, and in particular of the New Zealand team. Since that time, New Zealand has never won a WC elimination match. We did ourselves proud in 1996 against the Aussies, and surprised everyone by making the semi's in 1999.

But this tops everything. I'm speechless. I'm humbled. Well done lads. You've only got a day or two to celebrate, but you deserve every minute of it.

God I love cricket.
Fabtastic post. Good game by the Kiwis and a win worth talking about. So many have written them off and this is definitely a good response.

JBH001

International Regular
I can't believe this, tbh. I went to bed after the NZ innings thinking 221 would not be enough and wake up to find that not only did we win convincingly in the end, but also that SA bottled it yet again. I need to pinch myself. Great result boys and a fantastic win. I need to watch the highlights at 12 now.

Commiserations to the SA fans. Go NZ cricket!

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
I can't believe this, tbh. I went to bed after the NZ innings thinking 221 would not be enough and wake up to find that not only did we win convincingly in the end, but also that SA bottled it yet again. I need to pinch myself. Great result boys and a fantastic win. I need to watch the highlights at 12 now.

Commiserations to the SA fans. Oh, and go NZ cricket!
Need to change your sleeping schedule IMO.

JBH001

International Regular
Need to change your sleeping schedule IMO.
Ha! I hate the time difference, really. A couple of hours earlier and I would have watched it all but 2pm is my max when I want to have a reasonably effective and productive day the next day. The fact that the Auckland club cricket finals are on this weekend also meant that I wanted some sleep before having to front up for my final game of the season at 12. However, it is pissing down here in Auckland and it looks like a cancellation - there's some irony for you.

smash84

The Tiger King

God I love cricket.
Fantastic post Bahnz..........very well written.........I was young too during that 1992 WC Semi-Final between Pakistan and NZ. Was an epic match tbh and the claim to fame for a young Inzamam. The crowd was stunned that Pakistan managed to scrape through. The enduring image for me from that match was the late David Shepherd (one of my all time favorite umpires) walking into the clearly disappointed NZ side and saying something (I guess must have given his commiserations). That for me is one of the lasting images of that semi-final.

NZ had a really cool uniform color in the 92 WC. I liked that grey better than all black tbh.

Good luck to the NZ team for the SF. This time around though they don't have to face Pakistan in the semi-final so at least that is good news. Well played.