• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** QLD v NSW State of Origin Thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NSW team named, a couple of shocks like Gasnier at 5/8, Gallen on the bench, Hornby on the bench and King moved to the centres...

1. Hodgson
2. Gothe
3. King
4. Cooper
5. Tahu
6. Gasnier
7. Gower
8. Mason
9. Buderus (c)
10. Bailey
11. Simpson
12. Hindmarsh
13. O'Donnell
14. O'Meley
15. Menzies
16. Gallen
17. Hornby

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shifcofske, Hannay & Carroll included in the Qld origin side for the decider.

XXXX QUEENSLAND MAROONS

v New South Wales Wizard Blues
Telstra Dome, Melbourne
Wednesday July 5

1. Clinton SCHIFCOFSKE Canberra Raiders
2. Brent TATE Brisbane Broncos
3. Justin HODGES Brisbane Broncos
4. Josh HANNAY North QLD Cowboys
5. Adam MOGG Canberra Raiders
6. Darren LOCKYER (c) Brisbane Broncos
7. Johnathan THURSTON North QLD Cowboys
8. Steven PRICE New Zealand Warriors
9. Cameron SMITH Melbourne Storm
10. Petero CIVONICEVA Brisbane Broncos
11. Nate MYLES Bulldogs
12. Carl WEBB North QLD Cowboys
13. Dallas JOHNSON Melbourne Storm

14. Shaun BERRIGAN Brisbane Broncos
15. Chris FLANNERY Sydney Roosters
16. Sam THAIDAY Brisbane Broncos
17. Tonie CARROLL Brisbane Broncos

Coach: Mal MENINGA

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
burkey_1988 said:
Gower's kicking game isn't even all that great.
I disagree, but it's irrelevant to my point, because he's the only player in the team who kicks in play on a regular basis, and it will ruin NSW chances when it comes to getting repeat sets, because they'll just charge Gower and he'll have nowhere to go to. Gasnier has no short kicking game to speak of, and neither does Hodgson.

Should've been Hill and Kimmorely, probably, even though Kimmorely usually chokes in Origin. He's been playing well.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Buderus kicks out of dummy half often, and Hornby will be doing quite a bit when he gets onto the field. But you have a point, the kicking game will rely on Gower really until Hornby gets on.

Secondly, I'm glad Hill wasn't picked. His defence has always been dodgy and he hasn't been in good form for about three seasons now. As for Kimmorley over Gower, I'd take Gower every time.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see the blues winning this, too much pressure on Gower, Buderus and Hornby's kicking games. Nice to see Gallen and O'Donnell in the side, Kite and Ryan are unlucky but these guys are playing better. Would of liked the selectors to pick a half back to partner Gower, either Head or Kimmorley.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
good to see schifcofske picked even though everyone knew it was gonna happen anyway. Not sure about Hannay but our injury toll is pretty bad...
Id say Hodges has only been picked to give the selectors another weekend to have a look at potential replacements... my money is on Tonga if hes fit...

howardj

International Coach
dontcloseyoureyes said:
:laugh: Gasnier

We're going to lose. Shut down Gower's kicking and they've got no one to go to.
Hodgson, Buderus, Hornby?

Class players like Gasnier don't just fall in a heap because they're playing in a different position. He wasn't too shabby against the Cowboys on Saturday night, playing some of the game at pivot. He's going to be given more pill next Wednesday, which for NSW can only be a good thing. He's been a bit starved of possession in the Series thus far. Fire up, b!tch! :laugh:

howardj

International Coach
The Qld team has a bit of a lethargic look about it - Carroll, Schiffers, Hannay (what the hell?), Flannery. It certainly doesn't look dynamic. Surely we're not so desperate that we have to turn to Hannay. He's a nothing at this level, and has not even played a handful of NRL games this year. However, I still think we'll put up a great showing though. Should be a top match.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I don't care how classy he is, in my opinion, he's not even the best centre in the game, he can't be one of the top two #6's in game.

Thumbs down from me, doesn't mean I won't be screaming blue come Wednesday week.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I don't care how classy he is, in my opinion, he's not even the best centre in the game, he can't be one of the top two #6's in game.
What wonderful respect you pay to New Zealand and Great Britain. They don't actually have any of the top centres or 5/8s in the game, but if they did, would they be discounted because they aren't Australian and can't play origin? Origin is the best 26 players in the world on the same pitch, without those pesky Kiwis/poms bringing the standard down, right? 8-)

Craig

World Traveller
howardj said:
The Qld team has a bit of a lethargic look about it - Carroll, Schiffers, Hannay (what the hell?), Flannery. It certainly doesn't look dynamic. Surely we're not so desperate that we have to turn to Hannay. He's a nothing at this level, and has not even played a handful of NRL games this year. However, I still think we'll put up a great showing though. Should be a top match.
Injuries aside I think he was also picked of his "combination" with Thurston.

Still we wrote off Queensland and Lillyman before Game ll and looked what happened? :laugh:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
dontcloseyoureyes said:

Thumbs down from me, doesn't mean I won't be screaming blue come Wednesday week.
Who is the best centre, in your opinion?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
steds said:
What wonderful respect you pay to New Zealand and Great Britain. They don't actually have any of the top centres or 5/8s in the game, but if they did, would they be discounted because they aren't Australian and can't play origin? Origin is the best 26 players in the world on the same pitch, without those pesky Kiwis/poms bringing the standard down, right? 8-)
Well, for one, I obviously didn't mean it that way.

New Zealand play Vagana at #6 in their national side, so unless you're insane, you'll agree with me there. I watch a fair lot of Super League, as many games as possible each week, but I'm no expert, so educate me on who are the best centres and 5/8th's in the game. I'm assuming, being a St. Helens tragic, that Jamie Lyon will come up. He may be able to stake a claim to the best centre [he's Australian anyway], though I still believe Gasnier and Hodges are better. Lyon can kick goal though, which is a plus.

I rate Paul Deacon though, top player IMO (even though he's a halfback)