• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** QLD v NSW State of Origin Thread

howardj

International Coach
It's only two months away, and I really think - for the future of the series - Qld have to start winning soon. Below is my team to do the job.

1. Billy Slater
2. Greg Inglis
3. Willie Tonga
4. Justin Hodges
5. Brent Tate
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Scott Prince

13. Dallas Johnson
12. Ash Harrison
11. Mick Crocker (c)
10. Ben Ross
9. PJ Marsh
8. Steve Price

Webb
Tronc
Flannery
Thurston

I’m sick of three things.

Firstly, I’m sick of our ¾ line being monstered by big NSW players such as Gasnier and King. The key is to pick big 3/4’s like Hodges, Tate, Inglis. NSW will laugh if we pick the same ¾ line we did for the final game last year: Williams, Berrigan, Bowman and Sing. No way!

Furthermore, I’m sick of immobile dinosaurs like Civoniceva and Thorn. Pick a mobile, skilful forward pack. Pick players who can play 80 minutes or close to it. Not guys who burn up all of our valuable interchanges by the 60 minute mark, and can’t move laterally or pop a pass.

Third, I’m sick of no creativity from the two players who touch the ball most. Pick a creative hooker and halfback (instead of robots like Cam Smith). Harrison will make 100 tackles per game, so we don’t need a robot like Smith (creating nothing around the ruck) again this year.

Finally, make Mick Crocker (the most passionate footballer in the history of the solar system) the Captain. Last year, such was his Origin hunger, he made Billy Moore look dispassionate.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
care factor about state of origin now? 0... i mean come on the commentators haven't even started talking it up yet...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
my team
1 Clinton Schifcofske
2 Billy Slater
3 Brent Tate
4 Justin Hodges
5 Greg Inglis
6 Darren Lockyer
7 Johnathon Thurston
8 Steve Price
9 Cameron Smith
10 Nate Myles
11 Michael Crocker
12 Dallas Johnson
13 Ashley Harrison
Reserves
14 Ben Ross
15 Shaun Berrigan
16 Shane Tronc
17 Petero Civoniceva

im happy with the balance in that side, Thurston is becoming one of the best halves in the game and deserves to be in the number 7, i like guys liek Johnson and Nate Myles, they are made for origin, Berro on the bench gives us something different too.
the outside backs is tough, i simply cant understand Schif being over looked so many times, but im putting him there, i would have liked Inglis in the centres but Tate and Hodges can physically match whoever NSW picks, Tonga is the unlucky one to miss out, but i think he will get a chance at some stage in the series.

Blaze

Banned
SOO lost meaning like 10 years ago. Scrap it and play a 3 match Test series between NZ and Aus..

howardj

International Coach
The selectors' rationale for not picking The Schiff, is that they think he is too slow. I think the safety he provides is awesome, but the selectors - especially in this age of fast paced footy - are just not going to pick him ahead of guys like Bowen, Slater etc.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
howardj said:
It's symbolic. I don't expect him to give any Churchillian speeches!
I still don't get you.

Price would be my captain but it'll go to Lockyer.

howardj

International Coach
Lead by example, that's what I mean. Anyway, as long as my team is picked, doesn't bother me so much who is captain.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I agree with Crocker as captain. The guy plays his best footy during Origin and would seriously lead from the front.

Barring injury, the NSW starting lineup almost picks itself. Five-eighth is probably the only position I can't be almost positive on, being a Roosters man, I hope Anasta gets it, but I can see Barrett starting with Anasta on the bench. Anasta can also play in the back row, giving you another option. The front row is another spot I'm not sure on, I don't think Jason Ryles is as good as his reputation might suggest, and would much prefer Joel Clinton up front with Luke Bailey to start the match, with Ryles on the bench. I think Ben Kennedy retired from State of Origin for this season? If he didn't, he's my lock, if he did, Waterhouse gets it if he's playing decent footy. Wing almost picks himself on the bench, Topou is an impact player and could [might not also, ;)] make a huge impact in State of Origin.

1. Anthony Minichello
2. Luke Rooney
3. Matt Cooper
4. Mark Gasnier
5. Matt King
6. Trent Barrett
7. Andrew Johns (c) [duh]

8. Joel Clinton
9. Danny Buderus
10. Luke Bailey
11. Craig Fitzgibbon
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Trent Waterhouse

14. Craig Wing.
15. Jason Ryles
16. Braith Anasta
17. Anthony Topou

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
my team
1 Clinton Schifcofske
2 Billy Slater
3 Brent Tate
4 Justin Hodges
5 Greg Inglis
6 Darren Lockyer
7 Johnathon Thurston
8 Steve Price
9 Cameron Smith
10 Nate Myles
11 Michael Crocker
12 Dallas Johnson
13 Ashley Harrison
Reserves
14 Ben Ross
15 Shaun Berrigan
16 Shane Tronc
17 Petero Civoniceva

im happy with the balance in that side, Thurston is becoming one of the best halves in the game and deserves to be in the number 7, i like guys liek Johnson and Nate Myles, they are made for origin, Berro on the bench gives us something different too.
the outside backs is tough, i simply cant understand Schif being over looked so many times, but im putting him there, i would have liked Inglis in the centres but Tate and Hodges can physically match whoever NSW picks, Tonga is the unlucky one to miss out, but i think he will get a chance at some stage in the series.

the longer lockyer plays at 5/8 the less chance they have of dominating, get him back at full backwhere he can run riot and tear opposition players appart..

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I agree with Crocker as captain. The guy plays his best footy during Origin and would seriously lead from the front.

Barring injury, the NSW starting lineup almost picks itself. Five-eighth is probably the only position I can't be almost positive on, being a Roosters man, I hope Anasta gets it, but I can see Barrett starting with Anasta on the bench. Anasta can also play in the back row, giving you another option. The front row is another spot I'm not sure on, I don't think Jason Ryles is as good as his reputation might suggest, and would much prefer Joel Clinton up front with Luke Bailey to start the match, with Ryles on the bench. I think Ben Kennedy retired from State of Origin for this season? If he didn't, he's my lock, if he did, Waterhouse gets it if he's playing decent footy. Wing almost picks himself on the bench, Topou is an impact player and could [might not also, ;)] make a huge impact in State of Origin.

1. Anthony Minichello
2. Luke Rooney
3. Matt Cooper
4. Mark Gasnier
5. Matt King
6. Trent Barrett
7. Andrew Johns (c) [duh]

8. Joel Clinton
9. Danny Buderus
10. Luke Bailey
11. Craig Fitzgibbon
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Trent Waterhouse

14. Craig Wing.
15. Jason Ryles
16. Braith Anasta
17. Anthony Topou

why play braith on the bench, actually why would he be in the side....

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
howardj said:
Lead by example, that's what I mean. Anyway, as long as my team is picked, doesn't bother me so much who is captain.
Mate, he's a hot head. He's got the shortest fuse in the game and is not the kind of player who should be captain. He certainly leads from the front but is not skipper material.

My NSW side

1. Anthony Minichello
2. Eric Grothe
3. Matt Cooper
4. Mark Gasnier
5. Matt King
6. Trent Barrett
7. Andrew Johns (c)

8. Mark O'Meley
9. Danny Buderus
10. Luke Bailey
11. Craig Fitzgibbon
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Paul Gallen

14. Dean Young
15. Jason Ryles
16. Luke O'Donnell
17. John Skandalis

But there is a lot of footy between now and Origin time so who knows who will be in form.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
bugssy said:
the longer lockyer plays at 5/8 the less chance they have of dominating, get him back at full backwhere he can run riot and tear opposition players appart..
Locky is too slow to play fullback now, and besides we have a lot of good fullbacks and not many good 5/8's...

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
State of Origin hasn't been the same since the Super League split, and lacks the intensity of when I was a kid, but I'd hate to see them do away with it. It's a bit presumptuous to think New Zealand can compete with Australia on a regular basis.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully this year I won't have something getting in the way of me watching SoO this year (like those pesky exams last year)

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Im tipping a very very different NSW side... With Graham Murray in charge i doubt we will see the Rooster/Dragon Dominated sides of past...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For me the 3 players Qld must have in their back line are Shifcofske, Hodges and Prince. Shifcofske must be picked, he is the best Qld fullback in the NRL - should have taken over as soon as Locky moved to 5/8. Hodges was one of the Broncos best last season and was the only player who could be proud of their performance in round 1. His defence is adequate, he is a strong runner and can fill various positions if needed. The non-selection of Prince last year was a joke. Thurston would be a great asset off the bench, but Prince is such a high quality player - he should be there for 80 minutes.