• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2018

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I find it hard to call it a great victory.

Certainly Patel and Boult had excellent games. But I think most of the test wasn't characterised by greatness. Pretty much a bunch of who-collapsed-worse...
That's being overly cynical. It's a game turning as much on fortune as performance. All NZ fans should savor this win.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Don't get me wrong I enjoy it.

I just think some of the wins on NZ's last tour of the UAE were more impressive
Debatable. That One day side was definitely better but Pakistan's wasn't as good. The Sharjah test was certainly hard to forget (Vettori's last hurrah, Mccullum's crazy double) but we'll never know to what extent Hughes' death had an effect on the course of the match. The way NZ clawed their way back into this game after the poor show on day 1 feels a bit more satisfying.

Having said that in the 2014 series it was pretty cool how NZ managed to hang in there after being demolished in the first test and come back with a share of the spoils.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Ajaz is the first nz spinner I've seen nail the SC side spin heavy release. Just enough spin to grip, and at the right angle to exploit any natural variation. His action makes it easier to disguise the filthy round arm slider too.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I find it hard to call it a great victory.

Certainly Patel and Boult had excellent games. But I think most of the test wasn't characterised by greatness. Pretty much a bunch of who-collapsed-worse...
It was a bowler's game in the end. it's easy to point to the collapses but it showed what simply digging in and fighting it out will get you, runs wise. Anytime anyone looked to accelerate in any way they pretty quickly found themselves back in the Pavilion. Both sides built pressure well (though we let the pressure go more than Pakistan) and followed up on it. I was thinking Williamson was missing a trick at the end not changing fields or bowlers but he backed his men and his plana nd it paid off. Baz probably would've brought Boult back on at some point, or even Sodhi to buy a wicket with a full toss because #intent.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy it.

I just think some of the wins on NZ's last tour of the UAE were more impressive
I was thinking about this on the way in. The last Test win in the UAE was just in a world of it's own because of it's circumstance. the IDGAF certainly changed the way we played and was interesting to watch, and that win felt good - but this one just felt better.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
One of the things I liked the most about the win was the fact we got the set batsman out. Ali had basically got on top of the 'go for the tailender' plan and was in charge of who faced what, and then he was beaten by a pearler.

I don't know if it was just me not paying as much attention to other deliveries, but I definitely noticed with that wicket Ajaz seemed to come in wider from the crease than all his previous deliveries in the over and over before that. Not able to go back through the footage, but if so, I think he has more nous than we've ever given him credit for in the domestix threads.

Flem274*

123/5
can we stop legitimising the pakpassion cry that hughes death made them lose that 2014 test thanks? the entire nz team wanted to go home. mccullum spent 200 runs trying to get himself out raising the middle finger to nzc who wouldn't let the team come home.

Howsie

International Captain
timely reminder howsie called ajaz a declaration bowler
tbf that came from a couple of regular first class cricketers.

He bowled well, I’ve barely seen him bowl myself but I was impressed with his accuracy more that anything. He had some nice drift going on there for a little while but after watching Mark Craig, Ish Sodhi and early doors Mitchell Santner struggle to consistently hit a good length it was nice to see a spinner be consistently at the batsman and testing him.

Being as short as he is it’ll be interesting to see how he goes in New Zealand if he gets the chance, because he sure as heck won’t be getting that amount of turn.

Immenso

The only parts of this test I watched was Raval and Latham getting out in the first innings day 1, then nothing because **** these guys who can't bat, can't win cricket if you can't score runs ...... , then last night I finished watching something on the DVR and returned to live TV with Pakistan needing 22 to win and NZ needing 5 wickets. I figured I'd watch a bit for the last few overs out of curiosity to see Ajaz bowl for the first time (proper).

Immenso

tbf that came from a couple of regular first class cricketers.

He bowled well, I’ve barely seen him bowl myself but I was impressed with his accuracy more that anything. He had some nice drift going on there for a little while but after watching Mark Craig, Ish Sodhi and early doors Mitchell Santner struggle to consistently hit a good length it was nice to see a spinner be consistently at the batsman and testing him.

Being as short as he is it’ll be interesting to see how he goes in New Zealand if he gets the chance, because he sure as heck won’t be getting that amount of turn.
Fair enough assessment I'd say.
He'd spent a couple of years getting topping the wicket table but always averaging over 30, lots of overs. Last season was the first time he bagged wickets and averaged low 20s.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Jeez, how good was that performance from Nicholls in retrospect. At the time he and Watling were batting lots of people were commenting that the pitch had died out and that we'd need 300+ to stand a chance. Turns out the two of them were just making difficult conditions look easier than they were. Arguably Nicholls' best ever test innings.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Jeez, how good was that performance from Nicholls in retrospect. At the time he and Watling were batting lots of people were commenting that the pitch had died out and that we'd need 300+ to stand a chance. Turns out the two of them were just making difficult conditions look easier than they were. Arguably Nicholls' best ever test innings.
Shouldn't take Flem too seriously tbf :p

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, wow, wow. That has to be one of the greatest wins of all time. Well done NZ and well done to Patel. First time I had ever heard of this guy. Introduce yourself!!

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
That's some extraordinarily gutless batting from Pakistan. Gabrielesque.

Well done New Zealand, terrific win.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, it's funny that he's taken so long to get any attention given that he's been the top wicket-taker in the Plunket Shield three years running. I take Howsie's point about how he's unlikely to get much bounce or turn in NZ, but - with all due respect to the FC cricketers that Howsie spoke to - you don't do that by being a declaration bowler. As noted, also seems possible that he's taken his bowling to another level in the last year - huge improvement in his strike rate and average last season. Also agree completely about how great it is to have a spinner who can land 6 out of 6 on a good length. Could you imagine trying to defend 175 with Mark Craig in the team? Pakistan would've wrapped up the match before lunch.

The Hutt Rec

Got home from the airport at about 12:30 and stayed up till 4am watching the replay ... so worth it. Amazing from Patel, Wagner really good, thought the captaincy decisions from Williamson were on point all throughout that innings as well. Huge credit to Nicholls and Watling yesterday, biggest partnership of the game by 26 runs, so crucial in hindsight ... was pleased to see Watling get some recognition with the big blasting batsman of the match or whatever.