• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

BeeGee

International Captain
Err, yeah... It's a t20. The bowlers can bowl faster as they only need to sustain it for 2 or 3 overs.
Yeah, the spinners were really bending their back.

If this was a T20 thing, I probably would have mentioned it earlier than the 300th T20 that I've watched.

Gee, the speed gun seems pretty generous. Either that or McClenegan and Henry are consistently in the early 140s. Oh, and here comes Milne...
147 km/h and it doesn't carry to the keeper
Yep, the gun was fast.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, the spinners were really bending their back.

If this was a T20 thing, I probably would have mentioned it earlier than the 300th T20 that I've watched.

Yep, the gun was fast.
Yeah, spinners would never bother bowling quicker in T20's.

Seriously, I don't see anything with the speeds that looks particularly unusual. We've always known that Mitch tops out at about 141/142 kmh. Milne bowling at 150ish is nothing new. Henry hitting 143 is, but it's hardly a massive shift from his previous top speed of 140 (especially given his earlier bowling efforts were in ODI's).

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, good to see the pacers bowling well, even if they didn't have enough runs to defend. Hopefully the batsmen can put up a better effort in game 2.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Does Mitch have more in the bank than Boult? He must do, right? But it would be horrible if Boult missed out on the WC squad.

I legitimately cannot choose.

The best thing to happen would be for Mills' action to be called.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Does Mitch have more in the bank than Boult? He must do, right? But it would be horrible if Boult missed out on the WC squad.

I still think Mill has a lot to offer at the World Cup. Two new balls, harder pitches, a guy whose been there done that...I guarantee you he's an asset in Brendon's eyes. Henry's ceiling might/definitely is better than Kyle's - ie he's quicker, shapes it as well if not more, bowls genuine wicket-taking balls, could take the top off a good side - but he's played 2 ODIs. Two.

If you look at Millsy's ODI record, he's gone in excess of seven an over ONCE in 5 years. ONCE. For a guy who bowls in powerplays, did a lot of death work etc, that's outrageous. If you feel like you have a side who can chase 300 (and today, you have to) you need Millsy in your side to counterbalance whichever wicket-takers in Southee, Mitch, Boult, Henry etc you're going to play. Plus you have a 166-game cool head. I'd be playing him.

BeeGee

International Captain

We need to see them all perform in 50 over games first, but having plenty of competition for bowling spots is a nice problem to have.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Henry has always been a late 130s early 140s bowler.

Mitch's range is all over the place.
I don't know if he gathers the right amount of credit for it but Mitch is a tremendously smart cricketer. The pace range is more a horses for courses/picking his moments sort of thing rather than a to-ing and fro-ing of energy and speed. If he roared in every time, he might be a better chance to play Test cricket but he might also be less effective, or get injured.

Then every now and then he gets the reverse sweep out or tries to steal the strike off a top-order player on 70-odd. I'm sure even Einstein had times when he pushed on a door that said 'pull'

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I still think Mill has a lot to offer at the World Cup. Two new balls, harder pitches, a guy whose been there done that...I guarantee you he's an asset in Brendon's eyes. Henry's ceiling might/definitely is better than Kyle's - ie he's quicker, shapes it as well if not more, bowls genuine wicket-taking balls, could take the top off a good side - but he's played 2 ODIs. Two.

If you look at Millsy's ODI record, he's gone in excess of seven an over ONCE in 5 years. ONCE. For a guy who bowls in powerplays, did a lot of death work etc, that's outrageous. If you feel like you have a side who can chase 300 (and today, you have to) you need Millsy in your side to counterbalance whichever wicket-takers in Southee, Mitch, Boult, Henry etc you're going to play. Plus you have a 166-game cool head. I'd be playing him.
Yeah, would aboslutely be picking Mills, though he's becoming less and less effective in the later overs (then again, Henry has also proven to be very hittable in the late overs). Would be looking to bowl him 7-8 overs up front, and then a couple in the middle.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's just that Southee does Mills' job and does it better. Two Southees is better than one, yes, but the role Mills is playing could be obsolete soon.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

I also think for all the talk about NZ 's batting strength there were be a few games where one of the pacemen is required to bat 6-7 overs with Ronchi, Vettori/NcCullum. I'd far rather see Millsy than any other seamer come out to bat with 50 needed off 40 and 2/3 wickets left. He's easily the best batsman of the 6 contenders

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's just that Southee does Mills' job and does it better. Two Southees is better than one, yes, but the role Mills is playing could be obsolete soon.
Yeah but Southee can bowl 5+ death/powerplay overs whereas Mills is best at going for 6 overs at the top. Sure Southee can do what Mills can do, but Southee's greatest value is at the end of the innings for us. Not because he isn't great at the start but because he is by far and away our best at the end.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
After the World Cup, certainly it will be. As said above, Southee is our man at the death/in powerplays, and Millsy should be used up front.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Very good points. It's just that id like to be able to get someone like David Warner out early. I suppose there are plenty of other wicket takers in the lineup.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I really think Mills' action will be reported the very next ODI he plays.
I doubt it. I'm watching his work in the NZ A series and that's not an action that is going to stand up to attention.

Is true that Mill hasn't been knocking sides over at the top of late, but if he plays he's going to have Southee, Mitch/Boult and a Henry or Milne etc. If you've got Millsy, Vettori and/or NcCullum squeezing, you've got a nice balance with another two being wicket-takers.

I'd like to see Millsy, Southee and Mitch as a three-pronged, with Dan, Corey Anderson and either NcCullum or Neesh based on surface.

Isn't it just infuriating that Jesse isn't going to be there. His bowling alone would solve headaches.