• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in England

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
dontcloseyoureyes said:
That's a tad harsh. I'd say feeble at worst, probably mediocre.
Averaging 19 in his last 11 tests.

For a guy whose position is consistently justified by reference to his batting, that's abysmal. Especially when you consider that he gives his wicket away virtually every innings.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
On the subject of Jones, I'm afraid you've just got to accept that he is one of Fletchers favourites, and that's what's so annoying about this Fletcher regime. If for instance Panesar had a couple of mares and bowled tripe he'd be out of the team in favour of one of Duncan's 3 dimensional players. Still his keeping has improved massively and deserves credit for that.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
bowling Monty btw, looking very dangerous lets hope he can get one or two of the big three
Yeah his bowled very well today.

Edit- And his just got another wicket.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Just want to know peoples thoughts here. If the king of Spain was to make a miraculous return to fitness tomorrow, who would you play in the next test out of him and Panesar, and who do you think England would actually go for?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
UncleTheOne said:
Just want to know peoples thoughts here. If the king of Spain was to make a miraculous return to fitness tomorrow, who would you play in the next test out of him and Panesar, and who do you think England would actually go for?
Right now I'd drop Saj and play both.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
UncleTheOne said:
Panesar should play, Fletcher would pick Giles.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Assuming you are talking about Ashley Giles, i think England would still opt to play with Monty as he has proven himself that he can take wickets.. :D

Monty U legend.. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
UncleTheOne said:
Tough one. I'd go for Gilo simply because he gives us better balance. When you see Monty rip it like the last two balls of that over I think I'd say he has more potential as a spinner tho. I don't think his batting is a totally lost cause either, but he's never gonna be much of a fielder.

Beefy laying on the hyperbole in the commentary "best orthodox left arm spinner since Underwood". No pressure on the boy then... :p

chalky

International Debutant
With Bell at 6 and a 4 man attack I would play Monty as the batting becomes less important and you need all 4 of your bowlers to be wicket takers.

If Flintoff was batting at 6 and 5 man attack I would pick giles as the number 8 batting postion becomes more crucial. Also generally in Englands five man attack the spinner is used just to give the quick bowlers a rest.