• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in England

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Not picking Yasir was stupid. I saw the highlights for Day One, Razzaq`s shot was awful. Harmison bowled well, but Pakistan certainly didn`t apply themselves. Monty was great, plenty of bounce.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Beleg said:
Is this the worst Pakistani attack fielded during the last 30 years?
Dont know about that but its definitely the worst situation as far as openers are concerned that Pakistan has been in many many years.

Pakistan and India both have had problems with openers but of late Pakistan has been opening with youngwters who seem to think if you plonk your front foot forward and drive the new ball bowlers will submit and surender.

Its amazing how differnet Pakistani former cricketers keep supporting the case of one nephew or another favourite blue eyed boy but no one says our openers just dont have the technique to play the new ball if it moves.

You can not open in test matches and succeed against the moving ball unless
a) you know how to play off the back foot and
b) you know how to leave the ball that is neither going to hit the stumps nor can be scored off without risk.

Test opening batsmanship is as much about being able to leave the ball which wont be hitting the stumps as it is about playing the one which will.

No one in Pakistan seems to be teaching these youngsters this basic fact. All that is being talked about is why is the fellow, not in the team, not playing. Even when he is no better in this respect.

The bowling may not be great but the opening batsmen suck! And this inspite of the hundreds they have scored and will score in the future on placid tracks and when bowlers can get no movement - vertical or horizontal.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
cricinfo said:
I am going to have to behave. My wife has just called to say she is reading the commentary
95.6 Umar Gul to Mahmood, no run
95.5 Umar Gul to Mahmood, FOUR, steered in the air through third slip. Inzamam paying the rpice for not attacking someone who is not a Test No. 8
95.4 Umar Gul to Mahmood, no run, again short but a bit straighter and Mahmood is struck on the glove. The ball plops down safely
95.3 Umar Gul to Mahmood, no run, short and Mahmood jerks out of the way
lol :laugh:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
alternative said:
Cricinfo said:
It’s that stage of the afternoon where it’s all a bit sleepy. The crowd are either slumbering in the heat or just beginning to stir after digesting lunch. The alcohol has not began to kick in … about an hour from the first Mexican wave
:D

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Smart batting from Mahmood on the verge of tea...
indeed, the best thing to do was get out for 0 like Plunkett would have done.

This would have the side benefit of meaning Bell gets less chance to score runs of course

Scaly piscine

superkingdave said:
indeed, the best thing to do was get out for 0 like Plunkett would have done.

This would have the side benefit of meaning Bell gets less chance to score runs of course
You're only jealous because Mahmood aims for the square leg umpire more often than Plunkett.

Anyway GBH showing how its done. Seems like the combination of mediocre bowling and the onus to attack is getting Bell out of his tentative Ramprakash-like shell.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not biggest admirer of Ian Bell but I thought he played a pretty good knock today, very pleasing on the eye.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
I think Faisal will be ok to bat, but it wont make much difference anyways. I expect Pakistan to roll over if Inzy and Moyo don't put up a fight tomorrow. The team has completely lost it. The batting in the first innings could have been a different story had it not been for Yousuf attempting his dangerous late cuts when a slip was in place! Well the Pakistani batting was bound to collapse at least once on the tour, I just pray we don't see them making the same mistakes

Scaly piscine

Just heard the biggest pile from Nicholas while watching the highlights program, going on about how it's a problem that the middle order of Collingwood, Bell and Jones doesn't have the same authority as Vaughan and Flintoff and they allow the bowlers back into the game...

Muppet. Pretty sure Vaughan and Flintoff holing out gormlessly in quick succession lets the bowlers back into it.

simmy

International Regular
TT Boy said:
Not biggest admirer of Ian Bell but I thought he played a pretty good knock today, very pleasing on the eye.
He always is. Such a talented player.

Feel for him that entire cricketing world watched him have a poor Ashes series and that may hold him back in the short term despite his obvious talent and potential.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
bell is the best techinal batsman in england

his technique is the best i have seen from an englishman for years

gunner

U19 Cricketer
i bet he will lose his place soon as he gets 1 low score

when shoaib and asif come back for 4th test match