• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016

91Jmay

International Coach
Deserve to lose this for the arrogance of making so many changes. Rotating seamers I can see but this amount of changes smacks of a hubris I don't like.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Deserve to lose this for the arrogance of making so many changes. Rotating seamers I can see but this amount of changes smacks of a hubris I don't like.
I agree, unless there are injuries we don't know about this does seem like taking the piss from England.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Bit of an indication that while our first choice spinners have problems the well is not exactly overflowing.
While I wouldn't necessarily disagree, Dawson isn't even close to being one of the best spinners in county cricket. He has been selected because of England's obsession with spinners who can bat.

Niall

International Coach
While I wouldn't necessarily disagree, Dawson isn't even close to being one of the best spinners in county cricket. He has been selected because of England's obsession with spinners who can bat.
According to the Daily Mail (I know) Dawson will be in the squad for India and Bangladesh, horrific image this guy bowling to those batsman, but heh on the plus side he may add 20 or so runs. so swings and roundabouts:ph34r:

Liam Dawson set to win spinners' race for selection for England Test tours to Bangladesh and India | Daily Mail Online

Pothas

Would be amazed if he is in the Test squads. He has had a brilliant season in one day cricket so I think England looking at him as a back up for Moeen is totally fair enough but being picked in the Test squad would just be so weird.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
the decision to leave out rashid is mind boggling.

he's neither.....

a) a guy who's played too much international cricket this summer

or...

b) a guy who's not in need of more international exposure

such a weird decision.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Would be amazed if he is in the Test squads. He has had a brilliant season in one day cricket so I think England looking at him as a back up for Moeen is totally fair enough but being picked in the Test squad would just be so weird.
Would it be more or less bad than selecting Richard Dawson?

a massive zebra

International Captain
According to the Daily Mail (I know) Dawson will be in the squad for India and Bangladesh, horrific image this guy bowling to those batsman, but heh on the plus side he may add 20 or so runs. so swings and roundabouts:ph34r:

Liam Dawson set to win spinners' race for selection for England Test tours to Bangladesh and India | Daily Mail Online
The very last sentence of that article gives a great overview of England's attitude to this matter. It is interesting to see no mention of arguably the most successful spinner of the year, Ollie Rayner, who has played a key role in Middlesex's title charge. Given they already have Stokes, Woakes and Ali to get runs down the order, I think it might make a little sense to pick a spinner who is likely to get wickets in spinning conditions!

Howe_zat

Audio File
The very last sentence of that article gives a great overview of England's attitude to this matter. It is interesting to see no mention of arguably the most successful spinner of the year, Ollie Rayner, who has played a key role in Middlesex's title charge. Given they already have Stokes, Woakes and Ali to get runs down the order, I think it might make a little sense to pick a spinner who is likely to get wickets in spinning conditions!
Rayner is also an allrounder, hasn't helped him.

Hacks just cbf to think beyond who's played in an England shirt recently

grecian

Dunno why they don't rate Rayner, maybe it's what HZ said and he needs bounce, but it's hard to say it's on lack of batting ability because he definitely can bat.

a massive zebra

International Captain
13 wickets @ 37 in List A matches is a brilliant season in one day cricket?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
rayner needs a lot of bounce to succeed.

when the bounce is not there for him he turns into a dart thrower. i can't think of a single front line spinner i've watched live who is prone to bowling as flat as he does.

Pothas

13 wickets @ 37 in List A matches is a brilliant season in one day cricket?
359 runs @71 with a strike rate of 118 and a bowling economy of 4.2 in the Royal London thingy, think I would call that a fairly brilliant season, he was excellent in the twenty20 as well. Would say that makes him a pretty good candidate as a back up to Moeen's role in the ODI side, does nothing to suggest he should in the Test side.