• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2016/17

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan had this awful series in NZ but the conditions won't be similar and Wahab and Yasir likely to get more out of Australian conditions than NZ. Australia still in a spot of bother with their batting line up apart from Warner, Khawaja and Smith. If you look at Pakistan's batting line up, it's still pretty settled and they just need to be on top of their game against Haze and Starc specifically.

Pakistan have sorted out their opening slots with Azhar and Sami Aslam. Sami Aslam looks like a good long prospect. They just need to stick with these two. Shafiq dropping down and Babar Azam at #3 has got to do a lot with Arthur's decision probably. Time will tell if it becomes a successful ploy.

Pakistan favorite to win the series for me.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree that Yasir and Wahab will give Pak the advantage but I dont think they are the faves... Australia with Starc and Steve Smith and Warner is always gonna start with a huge advantage in Aus conditions against just about any team in the world. And with one game being a D/N one, for me Aus are the easy favorites here.

Mind you, it still is the best chance for Pak to win a test and/or series against Aus in Aus in ages, esp. the D/N game at Brisbane, if the pitch is hard and bouncy as usual and the night conditions aid some swing. How long into the evening does sunlight last in Brisbane this time of the year?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Ijaz Ahmed. Fmd he was a good bat out here. Scored some great runs with that wood chopper style of his. Love him.
One of those cricketers from outside your country who randomly stuck in the mind of a young cricket fan, much in the same way Aravinda de Silva did, ditto Mike Atherton (even though he was a bit dire tbf), Carl Hooper and Andy Flower.

Aamer Sohail, remember him mostly from Shane Warne Cricket '99 in that, if you selected a left arm seamer and bowled bouncers at him, it was a sure fire way of getting him out cheaply.

Ah, the 90s.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think we're pretty comfortable favourites here. Our batting is iffy, but I can't see Pakistan's bowling making enough inroads there. Wahab flatters to decieve, and Yasir isn't as reliant on bounce as a lot of leggies are. Amir could be a threat but even he hasn't run through a side so far in his comeback. And their batting I don't think has had enough experience in Australia, in total the Top 7 has played six Tests overall. The New Zealand wickets probably isn't a good of a warm-up as what they would've hoped too.

Though starting with the D/N Test is a lottery, granted.

vcs

Yasir made some of the Aussie batsmen look like absolute chumps last time in the UAE. Will be interesting to see how he does.

Slifer

International Captain
I would say this is probably Pakistans best chance to win in OZ but with the brittle batting lineup they have, I don't see them lasting long vs a fit Oz attack.

listento_me

U19 Captain
As much as Pakistan have been an excellent test nation from the tail end/early 2011 on wards, doing well pretty much everywhere and against everyone, Australia are going to hammer them.

I feel like Starc and Hazlewood will probably end up with 20+ wickets a piece at averages under 20.

Have you lot seen the Pakistan squad? The two Khans are gonna get taken to the cleaners by Warner and Smith.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As much as Pakistan have been an excellent test nation from the tail end/early 2011 on wards, doing well pretty much everywhere and against everyone, Australia are going to hammer them.

I feel like Starc and Hazlewood will probably end up with 20+ wickets a piece at averages under 20.

Have you lot seen the Pakistan squad? The two Khans are gonna get taken to the cleaners by Warner and Smith.

Out of curiosity, is your definition of everywhere, everywhere in the United Arab Emirates?

listento_me

U19 Captain
Think we're pretty comfortable favourites here. Our batting is iffy, but I can't see Pakistan's bowling making enough inroads there. Wahab flatters to decieve, and Yasir isn't as reliant on bounce as a lot of leggies are. Amir could be a threat but even he hasn't run through a side so far in his comeback. And their batting I don't think has had enough experience in Australia, in total the Top 7 has played six Tests overall. The New Zealand wickets probably isn't a good of a warm-up as what they would've hoped too.

Though starting with the D/N Test is a lottery, granted.
Amir is the only one you Aussies have to worry about tbh. You're right he hasn't run through a line up in his come back but then again they have dropped 11 or 12 catches off of him in like 7 tests. That's a horrendous return for a young guy working on confidence.

If he can carry on bowling like he has done in the last few months and the catches stick, then he'll be a handful. Wahab, Sohail, Imran, Rahat and co will get taken to the cleaners.

I think Shah will go steady and pick up 3-4 wickets per match.

Shady Slim

International Coach
pakistan in with a shot if they put up more hobart esque pitches, and in with an outside chance if we get more adelaides, but none at all if we get perths

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Amir didn't exactly run through sides before his ban either. His 2010 tour of England is pretty much his only successful bowling in his international career.

Burgey

Don't see any basis for Australia being especially confident about this series tbh. Sure Pakistan was bad in NZ but it isn't like Australia just pummelled SA. Australia's batting is at best unproven and at worst still tragic. Pakistan have the bowlers to take 20 wickets if there's anything in the decks, so they're a big shout IMO.

Zinzan

Don't see any basis for Australia being especially confident about this series tbh. Sure Pakistan was bad in NZ but it isn't like Australia just pummelled SA. Australia's batting is at best unproven and at worst still tragic. Pakistan have the bowlers to take 20 wickets if there's anything in the decks, so they're a big shout IMO.
Mate, if you seriously think they;re a decent shout, you should like them paying $4.80 for a series win vs Australia's $1.05.

I think you're massively overrating Pakistan in Australian conditions personally. If you actually look at their side, man for man, they really aren't anything to write home about in this part of the world & I say that even after they managed that unlikely drawn series in England.

I'll be very surprised if it isn't 3-0 to Australia weather permitting.

Burgey

Mate, if you seriously think they;re a decent shout, you should like them paying $4.80 for a series win vs Australia's $1.05.

I think you're massively overrating Pakistan in Australian conditions personally. If you actually look at their side, man for man, they really aren't anything to write home about in this part of the world & I say that even after they managed that unlikely drawn series in England.

I'll be very surprised if it isn't 3-0 to Australia weather permitting.
I never bet on anything that can talk back, mate.

Australia winning the last test doesn't solve the propensity to collapse. I'm not over estimating Pakistan, I have no confidence in Australia.