• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NRL 2010 thread

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not when a part of those deals to play in japan includes a House, Car, Mistress, Blonde Mistress, Dwarf Mistress and a chance at Takashi's Castle.
Yeah, exactly. It wouldn't be hard for them to save money. They're not renting a house and paying for everything like your average Joe. They're also getting paid a fair bit of money.

Johnners

Friday April 23
Bulldogs vs Broncos
Cowboys vs Eels

Saturday April 24
Panthers vs Wests Tigers
Sharks vs Knights

Sunday April 25
Raiders vs Rabbitohs
Dragons vs Roosters
Storm vs Warriors

Monday April 26
Sea Eagles vs Titans

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Thurston confirmed as being in for the Cowboys tonight. Only ended up missing one week of footy. The bloke's a freak. Whenever he gets injured he ends up coming back so much earlier than he should.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've always thought, what is wrong with having no cap?

Sure, four or five clubs will probably dominate.

However, that happens in the English Premier League, and that comp is fantastic.

I think it's better having trading - where if (as in the AFL) a player gets poached, the club doing the poaching has to trade one or two players of equal ability in return.
Take that free market crap out of the NRL thread. I love a comp where Cronulla could potentially win the premiership in three years.

EPL is a joke because most people are only interested in the games that features Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool. The only reason people care about Fulham v Tottenham is because of a ridiculous culture that doesn't exist in Australia unless you support Richmond.
+1000000000000000. Couldn't agree more, well other than the possibility of the Sharks winning a premiership :ph34r:

Alot of these problems will become less prominent when News stops rorting the game of TV money, and clubs are able to afford a rise in the cap. We'll be able to retain better players, be able to afford to expand the game at it's frontiers, generating more money etc etc.

Or so we hope anyway.
I'm not an NRL fan, but ****ing eh!

Boring seeing the same 3 or 4 teams win every year.

The salary cap is one of the best things about Australian sport. And the fact the Storm have been caught makes it even better.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Greg Inglis, Billy Slater, etc come on and join a sport that is growing, rich, has no nasty salary caps, professionally run and, best of all, each week you actually get to play something

$100m boost for rugby | The Daily Telegraph
And every 4 years you'll get the ball passed to you. That will be the one game worth watching, thougjh granted I do love a good penalty goal shoot out. Nothing like a 55 metre place kick between the sticks to get my swonnicles stirring.

**** rugby. **** Melbourne. Thurston who?

The juggernaut rolls on.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
And every 4 years you'll get the ball passed to you. That will be the one game worth watching, thougjh granted I do love a good penalty goal shoot out. Nothing like a 55 metre place kick between the sticks to get my swonnicles stirring.

**** rugby. **** Melbourne. Thurston who?

The juggernaut rolls on.
Yeah this. Assuming this message is from the future and the Juggernaut refers to the unstoppable nature of the Panther forwards.

howardj

International Coach
I'm not an NRL fan, but ****ing eh!

Boring seeing the same 3 or 4 teams win every year.

The salary cap is one of the best things about Australian sport. And the fact the Storm have been caught makes it even better.
Well, let's have a look at that...

In the last four years of no salary cap, there were four different premiers.

Fact is, the salary cap is unable to be policed.

I mean, it took a tip off for them to detect Melbourne's $1.7million in illegal payments- dating back five years.

Even with Canterbury in 2002, but for a tip off, that would not have been detected.

God knows how much other rorting has gone on.

howardj

International Coach
Although I really rate him as a commentator, I think Phil Gould's agendas sometimes get the better of him. He has used this whole Storm-gate thing as a baseball bat to weild against the NRL. His main argument is that the Storm should be allowed to accrue points and have a crack at this year's comp, provided they offload players and get under the salary cap.

Imagine for a moment if they were allowed to that, and then they go through and make the GF. Rugby league would be a laughing stock as you'd have the team who at the start of 2010 was prepared to continue to committ one of the biggest frauds in Australian sport, playing off in the 2010 GF. What a joke. Even if they were under the salary cap, having them play in the GF in the same year as this disgrace was uncovered would make a mockery of the sport.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well, let's have a look at that...

In the last four years of no salary cap, there were four different premiers.
What sport are you referring to?

And you know 4 years is a crap sample size, considering the AFL had a salary cap and Brisbane won 3 premierships and made 4 grand finals. But eventually they fell away.

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Although I really rate him as a commentator, I think Phil Gould's agendas sometimes get the better of him. He has used this whole Storm-gate thing as a baseball bat to weild against the NRL. His main argument is that the Storm should be allowed to accrue points and have a crack at this year's comp, provided they offload players and get under the salary cap.

Imagine for a moment if they were allowed to that, and then they go through and make the GF. Rugby league would be a laughing stock as you'd have the team who at the start of 2010 was prepared to continue to committ one of the biggest frauds in Australian sport, playing off in the 2010 GF. What a joke. Even if they were under the salary cap, having them play in the GF in the same year as this disgrace was uncovered would make a mockery of the sport.
Agreed. Plus these arguments about the Storm having nothing to play for are ridiculous. Yes it might feel a little hollow at first, and not sure how they'll get up for this weekend, but in the long term they will do well.

I'm sure Inglis, Slater, and Smith will want to stay in form and match fit for the upcoming Test match and Origin series. Players like Aiden Tolman and Ryan Hoffman, among others, are chances for Origin and will want to make the team. Others will also be possibly playing for new contracts with other clubs next year.

Melbourne won't be at their best, but they won't be a lost cause on the field.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year

I was initially completely in agreement with this pov, but now I'm really undecided. They would have had to lose more than 8 points initially, but to have absolutely nothing to play for is a powerful disincentive for both the team and the fans. They are already going to have a very tough ride surviving from here, and dwindling crowds will be a heavy kick to a club already on the floor. Keep in mind this is a city in which we really need a presence, and the Storm have made great inroads there.

What about the fact that one team in the comp has absolutely no motivation to win games this year? If Melbourne's on field performance goes arse up, how is it fair some teams to get 2 easier games (the Dogs and Cows for example both play the Storm twice in the next few weeks) while some teams only got to play them once, while they were strong (the Dragons for example). You can argue that the Sharks represent a similar problem, but the NRL is not directly to blame for the Sharks ineptitude.

Obviously the NRL had to be seen by the northern teams to be very very tough on this, and I think a concern about it's core support was behind the punishment, but I think they could have found a way to keep the Storm competitive this year, while also doling out a punishment that would be acceptable to the other teams.

How about a loss of 14 points, and an inability to accrue any more points until they offload enough players to be under the cap?

howardj

International Coach
Agreed, it's not fair asking the players (the ones who didn't know about this fraud I hasten to add) to play for nothing this year. But, there are many innocent victims in this whole sorry saga. And, unfortunately in applying what I think is the correct penalty, the above-mentioned players are yet more innocent victims.

howardj

International Coach
What sport are you referring to?

And you know 4 years is a crap sample size, considering the AFL had a salary cap and Brisbane won 3 premierships and made 4 grand finals. But eventually they fell away.
Referring to 1986-1989 ARL.

I guess, yes there is a good argument for a cap. But, it just seems so futile in light of this breach and the Bulldogs breach. Which, as stated, were only picked up because of a whistleblower. I mean, is Ian Schubert even an accountant?

social

You forgot to add, "and you'll touch the ball twice a game"
Sorry but that is simply a fallacy

Anyway, when (not if) rugby union comes knocking with contracts DOUBLE what is being offered by league, you dont think they'll be tempted?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The salary cap when applied correctly is a great thing IMO. The problem is, the NRL can't have a good enough salary cap because there's not enough money in the game.

In my time following AFL, which is pretty much all of my years on Earth, I have never once heard anyone seriously question the cap.

The cap for AFL is $7.693 million a club whereas the cap for NRL is AU$4.6875 million. And this is indicative of the nature of the two leagues.

NRL supporters whinge and moan about the cap, but the simple fact is, all would be solved if there was more money in the game, which means bums on seats and memberships purchased. The NRL business model is just not competitive. The days where you can rely on people signing up to the leagues club to ensure money goes to the club are gone.

Coupled with this, the AFL have consistently negotiated a far better TV rights deal meaning more money to the game.

You can't raise the cap in NRL, it simply isn't possible. Clubs struggle to fill the $4.7m cap as it is, so you just have to come to terms with the fact that NRL players monetary worth will always be less than AFL players because AFL players can produce more revenue for the club and for the game.

But as we all know, it's tough for NRL to compete when it's an inferior game. But whatever.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS

Don't like posting in this thread for obvious reasons (need a shower afterwards) but Storm playing for no points is ridiculous. Just kick them out for the rest of the year, simple.

social

I was initially completely in agreement with this pov, but now I'm really undecided. They would have had to lose more than 8 points initially, but to have absolutely nothing to play for is a powerful disincentive for both the team and the fans. They are already going to have a very tough ride surviving from here, and dwindling crowds will be a heavy kick to a club already on the floor. Keep in mind this is a city in which we really need a presence, and the Storm have made great inroads there.

What about the fact that one team in the comp has absolutely no motivation to win games this year? If Melbourne's on field performance goes arse up, how is it fair some teams to get 2 easier games (the Dogs and Cows for example both play the Storm twice in the next few weeks) while some teams only got to play them once, while they were strong (the Dragons for example). You can argue that the Sharks represent a similar problem, but the NRL is not directly to blame for the Sharks ineptitude.

Obviously the NRL had to be seen by the northern teams to be very very tough on this, and I think a concern about it's core support was behind the punishment, but I think they could have found a way to keep the Storm competitive this year, while also doling out a punishment that would be acceptable to the other teams.

How about a loss of 14 points, and an inability to accrue any more points until they offload enough players to be under the cap?
Agree with this

IMO, the Storm will get through a few games on ability alone and a couple on anger but the rest of the time it'll be "who gives a ****, let's just get this meaningless season over and done with."