• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NRL 2010 thread

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Referring to 1986-1989 ARL.
1980-1985: three comps each to Parramatta and Canterbury. And maybe if we got rid of the cap we could have the Dragons buy eleven straight premierships again. I wouldn't mind that personally...

I mean, is Ian Schubert even an accountant?
The man won a Premiership. What more qualifications does a bloke need?

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
The cap for AFL is $7.693 million a club whereas the cap for NRL is AU$4.6875 million. And this is indicative of the nature of the two leagues.
This statistic is a bit misleading as an AFL club needs a bigger squad, but I agree with the rest of your post. Bar the dire content in the last line of course which doesn't bear repeating :tongue:

IMO, the Storm will get through a few games on ability alone and a couple on anger but the rest of the time it'll be "who gives a ****, let's just get this meaningless season over and done with."
The problem will be when the going gets tough, the Storm will fade away (something they've always been renowned for avoiding). I can't see them being willing to put their body on the line. Against a talented hungry team, +13 against the Storm could be a very very good value bet. Don't forget their team will look very different in a few weeks after some of their players jump ship.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The salary cap when applied correctly is a great thing IMO. The problem is, the NRL can't have a good enough salary cap because there's not enough money in the game.

In my time following AFL, which is pretty much all of my years on Earth, I have never once heard anyone seriously question the cap.

The cap for AFL is $7.693 million a club whereas the cap for NRL is AU$4.6875 million. And this is indicative of the nature of the two leagues.

NRL supporters whinge and moan about the cap, but the simple fact is, all would be solved if there was more money in the game, which means bums on seats and memberships purchased. The NRL business model is just not competitive. The days where you can rely on people signing up to the leagues club to ensure money goes to the club are gone.

Coupled with this, the AFL have consistently negotiated a far better TV rights deal meaning more money to the game.

You can't raise the cap in NRL, it simply isn't possible. Clubs struggle to fill the $4.7m cap as it is, so you just have to come to terms with the fact that NRL players monetary worth will always be less than AFL players because AFL players can produce more revenue for the club and for the game.

But as we all know, it's tough for NRL to compete when it's an inferior game. But whatever.
Agree with every word of this.

howardj

International Coach
I'm not sure their welfare should be a prime consideration when fashioning a punishment. They absolutely raped the game, and would have continued to do so but for being caught. The punishment for this season is exactly the same as that meted out to the Bulldogs in 2002, it's just that it has to be imposed prospectively rather than retrospectively.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure their welfare should be a prime consideration when fashioning a punishment. They absolutely raped the game, and would have continued to do so but for being caught. The punishment for this season is exactly the same as that meted out to the Bulldogs in 2002, it's just that it has to be imposed prospectively rather than retrospectively.
Exactly, thats why i can't understand why people are kicking up a stink about it...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think the Storm should have to forfeit the season by not playing it. I can't see the point of playing against them for a certain victory. Teams are going to get themselves injured. And Storm players will not care about doing head high tackles and getting suspended for 3 weeks. OK they might care but there is less disincentive for them to infringe. And what happens if the Storm get frustrated by always losing and just decide to play dirty and take out their frustrations on the other team.

Anyways this is my view.

social

I think the Storm should have to forfeit the season by not playing it. I can't see the point of playing against them for a certain victory. Teams are going to get themselves injured. And Storm players will not care about doing head high tackles and getting suspended for 3 weeks. OK they might care but there is less disincentive for them to infringe. And what happens if the Storm get frustrated by always losing and just decide to play dirty and take out their frustrations on the other team.

Anyways this is my view.
What happens if the Storm win every match - the "premiers" will rightly be regarded as a pretender rendering the whole competition meaningless

Furthermore, I'd imagine that the Storm players are absolutely filthy with the NRL. What happens if their stars withdraw from all rep games just to piss the NRL off?

Also, the Storm should insist that every club is immediately put under the same scrutiny as they were and what happens if several other clubs are found guilty of the same offence?

Unfortunately, this season could very easily go straight down the toilet

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
What happens if the Storm win every match - the "premiers" will rightly be regarded as a pretender rendering the whole competition meaningless
Because they cheated...

Furthermore, I'd imagine that the Storm players are absolutely filthy with the NRL. What happens if their stars withdraw from all rep games just to piss the NRL off?
You really think Slater, Inglis, and Smith won't want to play for Australia and try to win another Origin series?

Also, the Storm should insist that every club is immediately put under the same scrutiny as they were and what happens if several other clubs are found guilty of the same offence?
I hate this alarmist and sensationalistic line. If it happens it happens, but let's not delve into terrible 'what if' scenarios. Unless it's proven other clubs have done the same, let's not taint them with unfounded suspicion.

social

Because they cheated...

You really think Slater, Inglis, and Smith won't want to play for Australia and try to win another Origin series?

I hate this alarmist and sensationalistic line. If it happens it happens, but let's not delve into terrible 'what if' scenarios. Unless it's proven other clubs have done the same, let's not taint them with unfounded suspicion.
The only way to prove otherwise is to audit everyone else immediately

Reality is that many people suspect that it is a widespread practice and the Daily Telegraph is already reporting rumours of another team paying players in cash via the old brown paper bag

As for the Rep season, it's happened before in many, many other sports and rugby league isnt any different

BTW, just discovered that the Storm have 36 players on their roster so the breach equates to well under 10k per man per season.

I wonder how many players would've left if they were earning 10k less? Probably a tiny number

In other words, they didnt even have to do it - ****wits

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
The only way to prove otherwise is to audit everyone else immediately

Reality is that many people suspect that it is a widespread practice and the Daily Telegraph is already reporting rumours of another team paying players in cash via the old brown paper bag

As for the Rep season, it's happened before in many, many other sports and rugby league isnt any different

BTW, just discovered that the Storm have 36 players on their roster so the breach equates to well under 10k per man per season.

I wonder how many players would've left if they were earning 10k less? Probably a tiny number

In other words, they didnt even have to do it - ****wits
I agree about auditing everyone else immediately. However, trust the bloody Telegraph to start up rumours of other teams cheating. Let the NRL investigate, in the meantime forget the petty and damaging speculation of things that could be untrue.

Plus how can the Storm have 36 players in the cap? The squads are of 25 players.

Craig

World Traveller
I was initially completely in agreement with this pov, but now I'm really undecided. They would have had to lose more than 8 points initially, but to have absolutely nothing to play for is a powerful disincentive for both the team and the fans. They are already going to have a very tough ride surviving from here, and dwindling crowds will be a heavy kick to a club already on the floor. Keep in mind this is a city in which we really need a presence, and the Storm have made great inroads there.

What about the fact that one team in the comp has absolutely no motivation to win games this year? If Melbourne's on field performance goes arse up, how is it fair some teams to get 2 easier games (the Dogs and Cows for example both play the Storm twice in the next few weeks) while some teams only got to play them once, while they were strong (the Dragons for example). You can argue that the Sharks represent a similar problem, but the NRL is not directly to blame for the Sharks ineptitude.

Obviously the NRL had to be seen by the northern teams to be very very tough on this, and I think a concern about it's core support was behind the punishment, but I think they could have found a way to keep the Storm competitive this year, while also doling out a punishment that would be acceptable to the other teams.

How about a loss of 14 points, and an inability to accrue any more points until they offload enough players to be under the cap?
Apparently the suggestion came up that each win, they would donate $20,000 to an agreed charity. I still believe they will turn up and be competitive. I mean people get competitive over a lot of minor things (like playing a game of backyard cricket or tiddly winks).

The other interesting thing is that people like Eddie McGuire and have blasted the NRL for trying to kill the Melbourne Storm. I suppose it isn't like they are a threat to Collingwood.

The salary cap when applied correctly is a great thing IMO. The problem is, the NRL can't have a good enough salary cap because there's not enough money in the game.

In my time following AFL, which is pretty much all of my years on Earth, I have never once heard anyone seriously question the cap.

NRL supporters whinge and moan about the cap, but the simple fact is, all would be solved if there was more money in the game, which means bums on seats and memberships purchased. The NRL business model is just not competitive. The days where you can rely on people signing up to the leagues club to ensure money goes to the club are gone.

Coupled with this, the AFL have consistently negotiated a far better TV rights deal meaning more money to the game.

You can't raise the cap in NRL, it simply isn't possible. Clubs struggle to fill the $4.7m cap as it is, so you just have to come to terms with the fact that NRL players monetary worth will always be less than AFL players because AFL players can produce more revenue for the club and for the game.

But as we all know, it's tough for NRL to compete when it's an inferior game. But whatever.
What are you talking about, the next NRL TV rights deal is said to be close to the $1b mark. There also differences in squad sizes etc.

But on a different subject, FMD, the Tigers ball handling was shocking, I would be filthy if I was the coach of an u12 team and I saw that. Which shows that if they could have handled the ball better, they might of got the points as Penrith looked ripe for the taking. But to their credit, Penrith hang in there and got the win.

Great game down at CUA stadium tonight. NRL needs more of that good stuff.
And pretty well attended as well. I thought Lewis and Heighinton were fantastic for both teams.

Last edited:

social

I agree about auditing everyone else immediately. However, trust the bloody Telegraph to start up rumours of other teams cheating. Let the NRL investigate, in the meantime forget the petty and damaging speculation of things that could be untrue.

Plus how can the Storm have 36 players in the cap? The squads are of 25 players.
Dont pretend to be an expert but,according to the Storm's website, they have 36 on their "NRL roster"

Anyway, spoke to a mate of mine today who is very closely affiliated with an NRL club

Says that he can "guarantee" that his club is clean (tax lawyer so you'd hope he'd know) but that there is no way that all are simply because of his knowledge of agents' demands

Given that his club are mid-table, he reckons that this is their best chance to win the comp in the next couple of years :laugh:

Son Of Coco

Sorry but that is simply a fallacy

Anyway, when (not if) rugby union comes knocking with contracts DOUBLE what is being offered by league, you dont think they'll be tempted?
Not according to Wendell Sailor, Lote Tuquiri or Timana Tahu.

Craig

World Traveller
Dont pretend to be an expert but,according to the Storm's website, they have 36 on their "NRL roster"

Anyway, spoke to a mate of mine today who is very closely affiliated with an NRL club

Says that he can "guarantee" that his club is clean (tax lawyer so you'd hope he'd know) but that there is no way that all are simply because of his knowledge of agents' demands

Given that his club are mid-table, he reckons that this is their best chance to win the comp in the next couple of years :laugh:
Are you sure some of those players are NYC players, therefore what they earn would be a lot lower?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
And every 4 years you'll get the ball passed to you. That will be the one game worth watching, thougjh granted I do love a good penalty goal shoot out. Nothing like a 55 metre place kick between the sticks to get my swonnicles stirring.

**** rugby. **** Melbourne. Thurston who?

The juggernaut rolls on.
I never had Burgey pinned for a union hater, but I suppose I learn something new every day. Oh well, onto the ignore list he goes. :(

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Are you sure some of those players are NYC players, therefore what they earn would be a lot lower?
Yeah some of them would be NYC players or second-tier players. Only 25 players come under the first grade salary cap.