• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NRL 2010 thread

howardj

International Coach
For the record, I think you'll find the salary cap was introduced in 1990.

Anyway, I agree that the Storm should be unable to play finals this year - even if they get below the cap by this weekend (whereby players agree to pay cuts). Fact is, but for the rorting, the squad would not have been intact at the start of this year. That they may take action to get themselves below the cap by say tomorrow, does not change that.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Odds on the Melbourne Storm reappearing as the Central Coast Storm?
I guess thats a possiblity, I still think that it would be the Bears but a good number of the team would be the current Melbourne squad in the same way the Storm were formed in 98 from Hunter and the Western Reds.

howardj

International Coach
I don't want them to relocate if they can't survive in Melbourne.

Fact is, there are way too many teams in the NRL. Sixteen teams used to be OK back in the 1990s. However, there are now currently over 100 former NRL players in England. Therefore, there's simply not the cattle to have 16 teams. These days, when there are a few injuries, your team is cactus and forced to call up guys from the Toyota Cup. Also, on the financial front, there is no way 16 teams is viable in essentially SE Qld and the East Coast of NSW.

12 teams, for such a small market and a small talent pool, is more realistic.

Simon

Disagree, 16 teams is a must for the tv deal and all those sort of things. Theres not enough talent for more teams but 16 works fine, the value of the game would immediately decrease should television only get 7 games instead of 8 per week.

howardj

International Coach
I'm not sure the pay TV deal would decrease that much if you cut out the Monday night game and had 14 teams. The free to air component, the richest revenue stream, would remain essentially unchanged. It's food for thought anyway. Even with just 14 teams, instead of my preferred 12, it would be good. That's 40 players to disburse amongst the other clubs and add to their quality/depth.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway, I agree that the Storm should be unable to play finals this year - even if they get below the cap by this weekend (whereby players agree to pay cuts). Fact is, but for the rorting, the squad would not have been intact at the start of this year. That they may take action to get themselves below the cap by say tomorrow, does not change that.
My understanding is they are unable to take paycuts (ala the bulldogs '02) and that they have to get rid of players...

Also that it seems they were looking like being well over the $700k mark above the cap next season... A club run totally on deceit and anyone who says the players and Bellamy werent aware of this is very naive...

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure the pay TV deal would decrease that much if you cut out the Monday night game and had 14 teams. The free to air component, the richest revenue stream, would remain essentially unchanged. It's food for thought anyway. Even with just 14 teams, instead of my preferred 12, it would be good. That's 40 players to disburse amongst the other clubs and add to their quality/depth.
I think the Monday night game is Fox's biggest in terms of ratings. They'd probably cut out the second 7.30pm Saturday night game.

howardj

International Coach
My understanding is they are unable to take paycuts (ala the bulldogs '02) and that they have to get rid of players...

Also that it seems they were looking like being well over the $700k mark above the cap next season... A club run totally on deceit and anyone who says the players and Bellamy werent aware of this is very naive...
I'm starting to come around to that view myself.

Guys like Smith and Bellamy - they've always struck me as people who hate losing a little too much. It's not difficult to imagine that they knew, especially the coach.

Craig

World Traveller

I think it is the players they wanted to keep the most, and they might have some tricky questions to face when the ATO comes knocking. Brian Waldron has also resigned.

I won't be surprised if the Gold Coast Titans get into trouble soon.

howardj

International Coach
I've always thought, what is wrong with having no cap?

Sure, four or five clubs will probably dominate.

However, that happens in the English Premier League, and that comp is fantastic.

I think it's better having trading - where if (as in the AFL) a player gets poached, the club doing the poaching has to trade one or two players of equal ability in return.

Burgey

For the record, I think you'll find the salary cap was introduced in 1990.

Yeah, what if they take pay cuts, stay together and win the comp next year or the year after?

That's what the Bull****s got to do.. Say sorry, cop a fine, keep a squad together assembled by rorting, and won the comp two years later.

Some penalty.

Burgey

I don't think Melbourne are/were clearly that much better than everyone else this year, Dragons were premiership favourites yesterday and deservingly so imo.
I dunno mate, Melbourne were the team no one wanted to play.

As a fan of the now defending premiers, I will accept the decision not to give us the title if it means Manly don't get theirs.

But I will remind everyone that we beat 1st, 3rd and 4th (I think) on the way to losing to 2nd in the GF.

Would have been one of the best runs to a premiership ever.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I've always thought, what is wrong with having no cap?

Sure, four or five clubs will probably dominate.

However, that happens in the English Premier League, and that comp is fantastic.

I think it's better having trading - where if (as in the AFL) a player gets poached, the club doing the poaching has to trade one or two players of equal ability in return.
Take that free market crap out of the NRL thread. I love a comp where Cronulla could potentially win the premiership in three years.

EPL is a joke because most people are only interested in the games that features Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool. The only reason people care about Fulham v Tottenham is because of a ridiculous culture that doesn't exist in Australia unless you support Richmond.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, what if they take pay cuts, stay together and win the comp next year or the year after?

That's what the Bull****s got to do.. Say sorry, cop a fine, keep a squad together assembled by rorting, and won the comp two years later.

Some penalty.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the NRL value a player higher than he's being paid for the purposes of the cap if they feel it necessary? If so you'd think they'd be all over the Storm if they tried any of those sorts of shenanigans.

DingDong

State Captain
obviously the 07 and 09 finals need to be replayed i don't thinnk its fair just to hand it over o manly and parramatta