• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NRL 2010 thread

howardj

International Coach
Obviously teams beating Melbourne will get points, but no it's not an automatic 2 points win or lose.

I don't agree with any argument saying Manly (07) and Eels (09) should get the premiership, anything could have happened had they been playing another team in the grand final etc... No way can they retrospectively award the titles to them.
Agreed mate.

The analogy with an Olympic final, where the 2nd place getter is (rightfully) awarded the gold, is false. That's because, in an Olympic final, the 2nd place getter has beaten all other comers. By contrast, the 2nd place getter in the League hasn't beaten all other comers in the final or even in getting to the final.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah agreed here too. Parra and Manly have every right to be filthy. But so should the Broncos and Sharks at not making the GF in those years. How about the Tigers who finished 9th last year?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agreed mate.

The analogy with an Olympic final, where the 2nd place getter is (rightfully) awarded the gold, is false. That's because, in an Olympic final, the 2nd place getter has beaten all other comers. By contrast, the 2nd place getter in the League hasn't beaten all other comers in the final or even in getting to the final.
Yeh thats exactly the point.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
THE Daily Telegraph sports editor-at-large Phil Rothfield believes all NRL clubs are cheating the salary cap and has called for an amnesty period for teams to own up.
:laugh: Yeah those Sharks players must be on overs big time.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What is the difference in the offence between what Melbourne has done, and what the Dogs have done? Is it the amount of money, or more the length of time that it's been going on?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most clubs are cheating at least. Pretty sure every club bar Manly? have been convicted of breaching the salary cap.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Most clubs are cheating at least. Pretty sure every club bar Manly? have been convicted of breaching the salary cap.
Yeah but the other clubs that have breached the salary cap haven't done it to the same extent as Melbourne and Canterbury: both by how much and the deception involved.

pasag

RTDAS
Agreed mate.

?

link

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Most of those were situations that couldn't be avoided (things like injuries, rep selection, finals etc.) and they owned up to it.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
He's saying that in say athletics, if the person who comes first gets disqualified, the person in second can claim to have "beaten" every other competitor. Melbourne last year beat Parramatta in the final, but who's to say that the Broncos (who Melbourne knocked out in the preliminary final) wouldn't have won a final against Parra? How about Manly who were forced into a knockout in the second week due to being beaten by Melbourne? The Tigers finished in 9th, how far would they have gone if Melbourne hadn't made the finals? Would St George have made it if they had played the Tigers instead of Parra in week 1 of the finals?

You could extrapolate forever really.

Craig

World Traveller
Phil Rothfield calls for salary cap cheating amnesty for clubs to come forward | The Daily Telegraph

Great idea - throw the book (check that, they threw the whole ****in library) at one club and let everyone else off for an offence that many people believe to be widespread

Here's an idea, strip all clubs of all points and prohibit them from earning any points this year

We could then have every team play in a nbattle royale grand final
If Melbourne are going to go down, so should every other club that is found guilty. But fair enough too, Melbourne's admin cheated, so they should be punished. Might have to start coming up with a few stories or have declared their income when the ATO come knocking. What's the penalty for tax evasion?

I was going to go to their game against the Warriors this weekend, but didn't have the cash, even if I were, I still would of gone.

Son Of Coco

As an Inter fan I don't count the 2005/06 title that was given to them when Juventus got stripped of the title, if I were a Manly or Parra fan then I would be wanting it, but I do agree with you.

Matt Johns hit the nail on the head for mine, when you look at their side and wonder HTF they keep it all together, and you here whispers, but you ignore it, and then bam, this happens.

Cronulla should be happy. means they won't get the wooden spoon :ph34r:
Wondered the same thing about the Broncos to be honest.

EDIT: Not now obviously...but a couple of years back when they had almost all of the origin team playing for them.

Last edited:

iamdavid

International Debutant
What is the difference in the offence between what Melbourne has done, and what the Dogs have done? Is it the amount of money, or more the length of time that it's been going on?
Both, plus Melbourne appear to have gone to far greater lengths to keep things quiet in this case.

Although off the top of my head the Bulldogs breached it pretty badly in 2002 as well, I can't remember the exact figure or time frame but it was systemic breaches in that case too.

Mister Wright

Wondered the same thing about the Broncos to be honest.
Haha. The team that only 4 years since winning the comp have about 3 of those players from 2006 still playing for them. Obviously don't pay much attention to other clubs, but we've had a massive turnover the last 3-4 seasons. Very wrong to taint us with the same brush as Melbourne.

Back in the 90s there was no salary cap, Canberra were also in a very similar situation mid 90s.