• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand v India T20s & ODIs

thundaboult

International Debutant
I don't know why we couldn't have played some fringe players - the likes of Macewell (who will surely play in game 3), Chapman, Cleaver, Duffy, Rippon etc
Too rigid, too stuck in our ways. Can't even experiment or dare to entertain in a jammy series. Would also add clarkson to that list of names. I'm positive sears would have been selected here if he wasn't injured so credit to NZC there. But knowing them, he wouldn't have played a game so take that credit right back. Honestly though, don't think its the personnell changes that will permanently solve our issue. Its the mindset they have to bore us to death. Fix that and even Watling could come in and strike at 150 I bet. We will never put ourselves in a position to impose our game in a final playing this way. This current group of dullards will always do the nitty gritty fight from the bottom crap and not lift a white ball trophy.

Last edited:

halba

International 12th Man
Kind of crazy that India have the depth that this guy only debuted last year.
India always produces big hitters. Starting with the great man Tendulkar and then a plethora of hitters like Sehwag. A particularly big one from memory was Yuvvie, he hit 6 6s off broad in a t20 world cup. Another recent standout, was the recently retired, big hitting Mahendra Singh Dhoni.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, if NZ are going to get beaten by 60-odd would rather it happen with less regular names, or at least some switching players around in the batting order. Would at least learn something that way.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
How does this prove the no-crossing rule is bad? Proves the point that you shouldn’t be able to benefit from getting out imo. Hit a single if you want to get off strike.
I still prefer if the rule had not changed. It deprives the audience of watching the better batsman play. Also takes out one nuance of the game, that of bowler trying to give strike to batsman by sacrificing his wicket. And quite a few potential nail biting finishes can become a boring end game due to this rule.

h_hurricane

Some of the SKY stats are amazing. Less than 2 years since his t20 international debut, he is already at #58 in the all time run scorers list and rapidly rising. That is when there are plenty of players who have played close to a decade or even more.

No one in the run scorers list above him have a SR higher than his 181. The next highest is Munroe who is way behind with 156. Only 2 guys (Kohli and Rizwan) have a better average than him, and they strike at 137 and 126 respectively.

The bloke is going to end up as a T20 ATG or even the GOAT.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Some of the SKY stats are amazing. Less than 2 years since his t20 international debut, he is already at #58 in the all time run scorers list and rapidly rising. That is when there are plenty of players who have played close to a decade or even more.

No one in the run scorers list above him have a SR higher than his 181. The next highest is Munroe who is way behind with 156. Only 2 guys (Kohli and Rizwan) have a better average than him, and they strike at 137 and 126 respectively.

The bloke is going to end up as a T20 ATG or even the GOAT.
To me, he is already a t20 atg..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ideally what we are lacking is a left hander who can bat 5 IMO. Its where I am hoping we see a successful return for Jaddu soon. And hopefully Washy figures out his big hitting abilities. I dont think Pant has it but I would like to trial him for a few series as an opener before discarding him for good in white ball cricket. Mainly coz he is a left hander and we have so few of them around.

Pant / Ishan (wk)
Gill/Shaw
Virat/Hooda
SKY / Shreyas
Jaddu / ???
Hardik / Venky Iyer
Washy / ???
Shardul / Harshal
D Chahar / ???
Bumrah / Arshdeep
Chahal / Bishnoi

Hopefully we find answers to the question mark spots soon.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know why we couldn't have played some fringe players - the likes of Macewell (who will surely play in game 3), Chapman, Cleaver, Duffy, Rippon etc
Indian interest is the only thing keeping New Zealand's whole cricket scene financially afloat, that would likely be the essence of it. He's also a starstruck kind of client.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Too rigid, too stuck in our ways. Can't even experiment or dare to entertain in a jammy series. Would also add clarkson to that list of names. I'm positive sears would have been selected here if he wasn't injured so credit to NZC there. But knowing them, he wouldn't have played a game so take that credit right back. Honestly though, don't think its the personnell changes that will permanently solve our issue. Its the mindset they have to bore us to death. Fix that and even Watling could come in and strike at 150 I bet. We will never put ourselves in a position to impose our game in a final playing this way. This current group of dullards will always do the nitty gritty fight from the bottom crap and not lift a white ball trophy.
You can level most of these criticisms broadly at the Indian t20 side too whose approach is quite dated.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
C
Ideally what we are lacking is a left hander who can bat 5 IMO. Its where I am hoping we see a successful return for Jaddu soon. And hopefully Washy figures out his big hitting abilities. I dont think Pant has it but I would like to trial him for a few series as an opener before discarding him for good in white ball cricket. Mainly coz he is a left hander and we have so few of them around.

Pant / Ishan (wk)
Gill/Shaw
Virat/Hooda
SKY / Shreyas
Jaddu / ???
Hardik / Venky Iyer
Washy / ???
Shardul / Harshal
D Chahar / ???
Bumrah / Arshdeep
Chahal / Bishnoi

Could tilak varma fill that left hander #5 role? Tends to bat higher up the order domestically but hit's the ball very was, was impressive for MI last IPL and has 2 good SMAT's under his belt now. Also bowls some handy off-spin that are serviceable as a 5th-6th option.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
C

Could tilak varma fill that left hander #5 role? Tends to bat higher up the order domestically but hit's the ball very was, was impressive for MI last IPL and has 2 good SMAT's under his belt now. Also bowls some handy off-spin that are serviceable as a 5th-6th option.
Yeah, ideally we would have Tilak Verma as the back-up for Jaddu but he needs some game time for our A sides. In fact, I think quite a few of our IPL stars from last 2-3 years are missing that A side time. We need to have our A side travel more and play more LOs on tour. Maybe even have seperate LO and long format A sides with their own coaching staffs etc.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain

Pant / Ishan (wk)
Gill/Shaw
Virat/Hooda
SKY / Shreyas
Jaddu / ???
Hardik / Venky Iyer
Washy / ???
Shardul / Harshal
D Chahar / ???
Bumrah / Arshdeep
Chahal / Bishnoi

Jaddu should stick to ODIs & Tests... Has become way more injury prone.
Tilak Verma is a young explosive left hander who had a breakthrough IPl last year & is now piling runs in domestic... Scored a FC ton for India A vs NZ.
Can bowl part time left arm spin as well

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jaddu should stick to ODIs & Tests... Has become way more injury prone.
Tilak Verma is a young explosive left hander who had a breakthrough IPl last year & is now piling runs in domestic... Scored a FC ton for India A vs NZ.
Can bowl part time left arm spin as well
He bowls offies but yeah, he can be tried for sure. Still think Jaddu adds enough value overall to be a first choice pick across formats.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Seifert has to play in NZ T20 side... Allen looks a bit raw & might not come off most of the time. No harm him giving him these bilaterals though but I always enjoyed Seifert's strokeplay in T20...

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
He bowls offies but yeah, he can be tried for sure. Still think Jaddu adds enough value overall to be a first choice pick across formats.
Jaddu hasn't done anything noteworthy in T20Is but he does brings a lot of balance. But next T20 WC is 2 years away & Jadeja is not getting younger.
We need him for next year's WC2023. T20 side should be full of youngsters.
Already TM is getting a lot of flak in playing old Boobi in a bilateral over Umran.

Moss

Seifert has to play in NZ T20 side... Allen looks a bit raw & might not come off most of the time. No harm him giving him these bilaterals though but I always enjoyed Seifert's strokeplay in T20...
Seifert got a long run and didn’t make the most of it, keeping is as bad as Conway’s and his batting lacks the x-factor that Allen brings. But you’re right, Allen is very raw and has a long way to go (semifinal vs Shaheen was a good indication).

If anything, the mainstays aren’t delivering often enough. Guptill (not in the squad I know), KW, Conway, Neesham, Ferguson collectively have mostly been below par in the last 12 months.