• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand v India T20s & ODIs

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Looks like Kane is slowly getting back into batting form now that he seems to be over his elbow injury (touch wood) and is playing more regularly.
If Kane is dropped from T20’s who will score the runs? The other blokes aren’t doing overly much at the moment.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like Kane is slowly getting back into batting form now that he seems to be over his elbow injury (touch wood) and is playing more regularly.
If Kane is dropped from T20’s who will score the runs? The other blokes aren’t doing overly much at the moment.
Kane's scoring runs but there not coming at the right pace. A 40(40) when the team is chasing 190 is useless unless you have someone do what Philips did vs England in the WC and make 60(35) at the other end.

Socerer 01

International Captain
the purpose of dropping him is to find the answer to your question

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
the purpose of dropping him is to find the answer to your question
Yeah, this. I'm not in favour of holding onto Kane, because without his 40 off 40 we might score less - because we're still not winning. Allow someone like Chapman to take that role and see if he can run with it.

It should probably be mentioned that Conway isn't exactly hitting it amazing, either. The Australian epic apart, he's scoring at a run a ball or worse in his last half a dozen innings, too.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Macca with the sage insight that SKY is well on his way to being a popular and well known cricketer
I mean, I didn't really know the guy that much. Played naff all ODIs, and plays T20Is and IPL - neither of which I generally watch. So I think that's a fair call.

thierry henry

International Coach
I mean, I didn't really know the guy that much. Played naff all ODIs, and plays T20Is and IPL - neither of which I generally watch. So I think that's a fair call.
You won't be surprised to know that I'm in much the same boat when it comes to ignoring most T20 cricket. Nevertheless, this was a T20 match and I think it's pretty weird for the commentators to talk about the current #1 player in the world as a prospect for the future. The commentators should be able to talk at a level that the casual fan understands while also coming from a perspective of "I am actually aware of what is happening in the world of cricket".

It's also particularly weird when the T20I World Cup literally finished a week ago and SKY was one of the big stars going into the tournament.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You won't be surprised to know that I'm in much the same boat when it comes to ignoring most T20 cricket. Nevertheless, this was a T20 match and I think it's pretty weird for the commentators to talk about the current #1 player in the world as a prospect for the future. The commentators should be able to talk at a level that the casual fan understands while also coming from a perspective of "I am actually aware of what is happening in the world of cricket".

It's also particularly weird when the T20I World Cup literally finished a week ago and SKY was one of the big stars going into the tournament.
OK yeah you'd expect a professional commentator to know who he is. But if you're talking 'popular' and 'well known', I guess that'd be a fair comment. He'd obviously be huge in India, and I'd heard the hype, but didn't know who he was. Pretty crazy for a guy to be debuting as a 31 year old, to this level of ability, and from reading about him that he's been an IPL semi-regular since 2012 or so.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Saw a little of the game last night and that 22-run SKY over off Ferguson was amazing batting. Wide near-yorker for four, short ball at the body for four, think Ferguson only bowled one actual bad ball (the third one, considering no third man).

We were never going to chase that target without a big boost from Allen or Phillips. I would like to see Mitchell at 3 sooner or later (i.e. prior to the next T20 World Cup) - can do the Kane role but with much better acceleration once in.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
By anchoring an innings which didn't need anchoring, KW's innings necessitated the need for an anchor, given the pressure his innings placed on the other batsman/men. It's like his batting partners were being gaslighted. 'It's not me, it's you. Look, you keep getting out.'

I like the idea of Mitchell at 3.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
By anchoring an innings which didn't need anchoring, KW's innings necessitated the need for an anchor, given the pressure his innings placed on the other batsman/men. It's like his batting partners were being gaslighted. 'It's not me, it's you. Look, you keep getting out.'

I like the idea of Mitchell at 3.
This is the best way I've seen the anti-Williamson (if you want to call it that) sentiment articulated.

Absolutely, he puts incredible amounts of pressure on Phillips, Neesham, Mitchell etc to score, and score quickly in the 2nd half of our innings. Don't like the word but yeah, it's akin to gaslighting - no I'm doing my job, why aren't you doing yours? Hell, he almost did that to himself in the last T20 World Cup. Now I'll put my hand up and say I wasn't watching (I went to bed when Finn got out) but 56 off 8 overs, 7 an over chasing 9s, when you've chewed up that powerplay period with less players out...now I know India are a good enough bowling side, but it's just insanity that we keep doing this.

If we're honest, we had one great performance in the World T20 that got us to a semi-final, a game where Finn scoring runs enabled us some momentum. The rest was formulaic, passive, outdated T20 batting. Can we please move on, move Mitchell up, start developing the likes of Chapman, whoever else is waiting in the wings and play a more attacking brand. Hell, if we're going to play meaningless T20 series', make them entertaining, too. No one will give a **** if we lose JAMT20s if they're fun to watch.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is the best way I've seen the anti-Williamson (if you want to call it that) sentiment articulated.

Absolutely, he puts incredible amounts of pressure on Phillips, Neesham, Mitchell etc to score, and score quickly in the 2nd half of our innings. Don't like the word but yeah, it's akin to gaslighting - no I'm doing my job, why aren't you doing yours? Hell, he almost did that to himself in the last T20 World Cup. Now I'll put my hand up and say I wasn't watching (I went to bed when Finn got out) but 56 off 8 overs, 7 an over chasing 9s, when you've chewed up that powerplay period with less players out...now I know India are a good enough bowling side, but it's just insanity that we keep doing this.

If we're honest, we had one great performance in the World T20 that got us to a semi-final, a game where Finn scoring runs enabled us some momentum. The rest was formulaic, passive, outdated T20 batting. Can we please move on, move Mitchell up, start developing the likes of Chapman, whoever else is waiting in the wings and play a more attacking brand. Hell, if we're going to play meaningless T20 series', make them entertaining, too. No one will give a **** if we lose JAMT20s if they're fun to watch.
Amazing how it can be repeated word by word for India and even Australia. Even Pakistan play the same brand with the bat they just get away coz they got much better bowlers than Ind, NZ or Aus.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This is such a great take. Applies probably to many anchors in t20 cricket/

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Seifert got a long run and didn’t make the most of it, keeping is as bad as Conway’s and his batting lacks the x-factor that Allen brings. But you’re right, Allen is very raw and has a long way to go (semifinal vs Shaheen was a good indication).

If anything, the mainstays aren’t delivering often enough. Guptill (not in the squad I know), KW, Conway, Neesham, Ferguson collectively have mostly been below par in the last 12 months.
Neesham really does flatters to deceive everyone. Guy barely bats at high S/R even in IPl & is a massive failure. Minnow basing is different though.
Munro used to provide explosive starts to NZ... And could roll his arm over. NZ gave up rather too early on him.
Ferguson is mercurial who can turn up the heat outta nowhere... And has LOI skills.
Milne has lost good pace. KW has no business to play T20.
Rather invest in Chapman & Seifert. There used to be a Tom Bruce as well who albeit failed at International level.

ashley bach

International Captain
I've got to admit, while I've generally been a fan of Jimmy Neesh over the years, really starting to wonder about his value to the team these days,
he doesn't bowl at all, and the best he seems to be able to produce these days is a quick fire 15 on a good day.