• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

shaka

International Regular
Zimbabwe are going to feel unlucky to play the side with their full team available, Oram, Styris, Butler, Bond, Fulton etc are all scheduled to return for the Zimbabwe series.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
shaka said:
Zimbabwe are going to feel unlucky to play the side with their full team available, Oram, Styris, Butler, Bond, Fulton etc are all scheduled to return for the Zimbabwe series.
yes, kinda ironic when you consider even a half-fit NZ side would beat Zim

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
zinzan12 said:
Franklin for the future yes, but Martin gets the big thumbs down for me.He can bowl with good pace at times but I question his top 2 inches. He's also too one dimentional, only seems to bowl insiders (to the right hander) and bowls from too wide to get LBW's. As one of the commentators said today I don't know why he doesn't try round the wicket to the lefthanders, especially when Gilchrist is smashing him.
Do any of you think Martin should try round the wicket to the right handers? When he is getting the ball to swing in a long way bowling round the wicket would give him a good chance for lbw.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
yes, kinda ironic when you consider even a half-fit NZ side would beat Zim
There would be some eyebrows poppin up when time comes around.. the rebel players are slowly making themselves availabe.. and as much as id hope bond makes his return.. my thoughts are that hes gonna get injured somewhere along the line again..

shaka

International Regular
Selectors opt for him because of the 6 wickets he took against SA, and the ball that he bowled to dismiss Graeme Smith.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Do any of you think Martin should try round the wicket to the right handers? When he is getting the ball to swing in a long way bowling round the wicket would give him a good chance for lbw.
He should.. that frantic style he bowls in might suit around the wicket..

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
shaka said:
Selectors opt for him because of the 6 wickets he took against SA, and the ball that he bowled to dismiss Graeme Smith.
That's what makes me think he's a Harmisonesque bowler. They're both like a curry - if they're half-cooked, they've got all the ingredients but they give you the sh*ts.

Martin has pace and can move the ball... Harmison has height, pace and bounce... what makes them bowl complete crap so much?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Casson said:
That's what makes me think he's a Harmisonesque bowler. They're both like a curry - if they're half-cooked, they've got all the ingredients but they give you the sh*ts.

Martin has pace and can move the ball... Harmison has height, pace and bounce... what makes them bowl complete crap so much?
a look at Harmison's action might provide some of the answers (not for Martin though understandably :p ), although you'd think that if he could bowl well with an action like that some of the time then why not all of the time.

Personally, I think it may be a case of (as your curry analogy suggests) an underdone Harmison not having the technical capabilities to gain results. If he's on top of his game and fighting fit then it's another thing altogether - I think he walks a fine line with a bowling action like that.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
zinzan12 said:
Congrats to Australia for a well deserved test series win to go along with the 5-0 oneday whitewash. Only whether intervened, stopping the perfect result.

Gilchrist was the star, with Mcgrath, Ponting, Martyn and Warne not far behind.

For Australia Clarke was the only player to really struggle in the test series.

As a NZ'er, I'm now asking myself whether this is the best sporting team that has toured this country in any sport
Apparently Clarke was suffering from a slight illness for part of the series so that was understandable, but compared to the rest of the side, he had a very average series. As you bring up, so many positives for Australia, while only the occasional moments for New Zealand.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
shaka said:
Very good point, and a Zimbabwean fan must be dreading the thought of facing a full-strength New Zealand side even after the terrible defeats handed out to the New Zealanders by Australia. Why include Peter Fulton in that list though, I don't think he's unavaliable or injured at the moment?