• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Somerset said:
Apparently Clarke was suffering from a slight illness for part of the series so that was understandable, but compared to the rest of the side, he had a very average series. As you bring up, so many positives for Australia, while only the occasional moments for New Zealand.
I think what New Zealand should take out of the series is that John Bracewell should be fired and Stephen Fleming should be sacked. John Wright should be brought in as coach and Daniel Vettori should be made captain. He's clearly shown backbone that no other New Zealander cricketer seems to want to display, and with those Harry Potter eyeglasses, it seems he's brainy enough to handle the job as well.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Gangster said:
I think what New Zealand should take out of the series is that John Bracewell should be fired and Stephen Fleming should be sacked. John Wright should be brought in as coach and Daniel Vettori should be made captain. He's clearly shown backbone that no other New Zealander cricketer seems to want to display, and with those Harry Potter eyeglasses, it seems he's brainy enough to handle the job as well.
There was little wrong with Flemings captaincy, and I don't think anyone else would even consider sacking him from the captaincy. He's still the best captain in Test cricket. He cannot help it if his team do not perform...

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Dasa said:
There was little wrong with Flemings captaincy, and I don't think anyone else would even consider sacking him from the captaincy. He's still the best captain in Test cricket. He cannot help it if his team do not perform...

I agree. We don't want the BC's turning into the black caps

OMFG WE DIDN'T WIN FIRE THE CAPTIAN AND THE COACH.

Dydl

International Debutant
John Bracewell certaintly expressed, well, his, umm, opinions about almost everything. He could have been trying to distract the Aussies, well it seemed to work......in Australia's favour...

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Dasa said:
It wouldn't have hurt if he had led by example during the series.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
To me Martin is the kind of bowler who needs several variables in his favour to take wickets. He needs:
1) Overcast conditions
2) New ball
3) Fresh pitch
And hardest of all...he needs to have one of those rare days when he can bowl on a consistent line and length.

Against SA last year all these things came together and he ended up taking a whole heap of wickets. Since then hes had a couple of those things but not all of them and has struggled as a result.

The question is can we afford to keep him if his good days only come once a season?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
It wouldn't have hurt if he had led by example during the series.
be was up against one of the, if not the, greatest bowler in Cricket history in, but heck he went in and opened, that took guts you have to give him that

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
be was up against one of the, if not the, greatest bowler in Cricket history in, but heck he went in and opened, that took guts you have to give him that
New Zealand dont seem to realise how lucky they are to have Fleming as captain. They would have fared much worse in recent years but for this great captain.

I wish India had Fleming :mellow:

howardj

International Coach
SJS said:
New Zealand dont seem to realise how lucky they are to have Fleming as captain. They would have fared much worse in recent years but for this great captain.

I wish India had Fleming :mellow:
I think his captaincy is a bit over-rated myself. For instance, the first innings when Clarke came to the crease, he didnt even bring one of his pace bowlers back - just kept the slowies on, and played Clarke through to stumps. Then the only real idea he had in the 2nd dig, was to employ the 'go-slow', hoping for rain.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
I think his captaincy is a bit over-rated myself. For instance, the first innings when Clarke came to the crease, he didnt even bring one of his pace bowlers back - just kept the slowies on, and played Clarke through to stumps. Then the only real idea he had in the 2nd dig, was to employ the 'go-slow', hoping for rain.
Its difficult (and unfair) to assess anyone on one or two performances or decisions, least of all a skipper.

anzac

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Bond would hopefully fill that role. Martin impressed me heaps on the first morning of the second test. I thought he bowled very well without much luck, and I also thought he was great against South Africa a while back, when he bowled equally well but actually got the wickets that time. If he can bowl like that all the time, he will be a quality bowler.
I have to agree with the dissenters regarding C Martin's bowling attributes................
having finally been able to see a bit of the cricket I stand by my earlier post regarding Martin - that being he is only likely to take wickets when bowling with a newish ball in the first session when there is still life in the wicket from overnight dew, and swing aided by overcast conditions..............without these he is of little threat IMO - RSA were just unlucky to get him when the conditions aided him.............

he needs to get closer to the stumps; keep his pace up; get the ball to shape 'the other way'; and learn to bowl around the wicket...................

anzac

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Bond would hopefully fill that role. Martin impressed me heaps on the first morning of the second test. I thought he bowled very well without much luck, and I also thought he was great against South Africa a while back, when he bowled equally well but actually got the wickets that time. If he can bowl like that all the time, he will be a quality bowler.
I have to agree with the dissenters regarding C Martin's bowling attributes................
having finally been able to see a bit of the cricket I stand by my earlier post regarding Martin - that being he is only likely to take wickets when bowling with a newish ball in the first session when there is still life in the wicket from overnight dew, and swing aided by overcast conditions..............without these he is of little threat IMO - RSA were just unlucky to get him when the conditions aided him.............

he needs to get closer to the stumps; keep his pace up; get the ball to shape 'the other way'; and learn to bowl around the wicket...................

considering Martin is 30+ I'd rather look to develop O'Brien who at least tried some variations - around the wicket & mixed his pace up...............IMO O'Brien suffered from there not being a 'leader' in the NZL seam attack.............

anzac

International Debutant
lord_of_darkness said:
Get Tuffey back into the frame.. hes a champ bowler on home soil!

only if he has his ball release & seam position sorted - otherwise he's cannon fodder at his pace (or lack thereof).............

anzac

International Debutant
zinzan12 said:
The other problem I have with both Martin and Franklin is that they lack aggression. We (NZ) need a Dion Nash type character as an opening bowler. You almost get the feeling that Both Martin and franklin are to much "nice guys"....strange as it sounds
very good point - all the AUS seamers have a bit of mongrel in them which is something NZL has lacked since the departure of Cairns & injury to Bond..............IMO it's one reason the selectors have persisted with Butler despite his deficiencies.............the other being his pace at 140+ kph................

I have no idea who any other aggressive NZL seam bowlers would be - Adams but like Butler can be persistantly too short - Wilson looked like he had something in the Tsunami Appeal ODs.........

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
anzac said:

considering Martin is 30+ I'd rather look to develop O'Brien who at least tried some variations - around the wicket & mixed his pace up...............IMO O'Brien suffered from there not being a 'leader' in the NZL seam attack.............
Isn't O'Brien older than Martin?