• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Rutherford may be a fine human being, but he is an immature batsman who doesn't understand how to be effective within his own limitations.

He is the opposite of John Wright-Bruce Edgar-Mark Richardson and even to an extent Glenn Turner who although having more shots than the previous three was very cerebral in terms of knowing his own strengths and weaknesses and making adjustments for each pitch. Given the four names I have mentioned are our finest openers of all time (Assuming you bat Sutcliffe at 3) then I suggest Ken's son needs an extended period in FC cricket to find his game.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
So if it's a warm up shoot out do you think they'll play Latham at 3 in those to give Gups and Ruds full exposure to the new ball?

NZTailender

"Williamson and other IPL players Brendon McCullum, Trent Boult, Tim Southee and Matt Henry will join the team before the second warmup game"

Well thank **** for that.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon it's Henry's time to replace Wagner. I like Wagner but if we're willing to give Rutherford such a long run based on potential surely the same rationale applies to Henry.
Uh surely that's a different rationale, given Bracewell is the incumbent?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I don't consider Bracewell the incumbent. I consider the third seamer role essentially up for grabs because of a dearth of truly impressive performances in that role.

NZTailender

Given the 'horses for courses' explanation trotted out (pardon the pun) by McHesson for Bracewell in the last series, you'd say the third seamer role is up for grabs via shoot out.

Did Wagner end up having a better PS in the end?

Edit: Inseparable it'd seem. Bracewell the better SR, worse ER and 1 less 5fer

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Given the 'horses for courses' explanation trotted out (pardon the pun) by McHesson for Bracewell in the last series, you'd say the third seamer role is up for grabs via shoot out.

Did Wagner end up having a better PS in the end?

Edit: Inseparable it'd seem. Bracewell the better SR, worse ER and 1 less 5fer
Yeah, but Wagner definitely came home stronger in the back half of the season, which could work in his favour.

I tend to think that the selectors wouldn't have picked Henry if they weren't planning on playing him. Still, Bracewell essentially got picked for the last test match because he was bowling better in the nets in the lead-up to the match, so I imagine form in the warm-ups will be the crucial factor.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I now think Henry is the best bowler of the three but I'd be happy with any of them showing good form in English conditions.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think Henry playing is very unlikely. I would love for it to happen but there are two incumbents in his path.

Howsie

International Captain
I'll be really disappointed if Henry isn't the first choice as the third seamer here, he's easily the better bowler of the three. Nothing but handicapping ourselves if we go for Bracewell or God forbid Wagner.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
The main thing in Henry's way is that he doesn't fit the "Rugged Workhorse" archetype McHesson seem to have cut out for the third seamer role in tests

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think we'd all agree Matt Henry is the ideal selection for England at that time of year with the Duke ball. I don't know if he's the best of the three across all conditions - given I haven't seen him play much red ball at all - but with a ball that might stay newer for longer, and therefore hoop right up to the opportunity to get a new one (if needed) it seems pretty straight-forward that he's the man.

Anyone thinking the scores might be along the lines of the 1999 series?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think we'd all agree Matt Henry is the ideal selection for England at that time of year with the Duke ball. I don't know if he's the best of the three across all conditions - given I haven't seen him play much red ball at all - but with a ball that might stay newer for longer, and therefore hoop right up to the opportunity to get a new one (if needed) it seems pretty straight-forward that he's the man.

Anyone thinking the scores might be along the lines of the 1999 series?
If the pitches are like the ones from SRL's tour last year then I tend to doubt it.