• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Antihippy

International Debutant
I mean there can be some argument for sticking with potential versus results. Glenn Maxwell's form leading up to the world cup was in pretty dire straits as well but cricket australia kept persisting with him. Though he did build his form up in the tri-series before the WC.

Kinda different in this case though because Maxwell has already built an ODI reputation before his form dip, whereas stokes was relatively unknown.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I mean there can be some argument for it. Glenn Maxwell's form leading up to the world cup was in pretty dire straits as well but cricket australia kept persisting with him. Though he did build his form up in the tri-series before the WC.
Not sure how true this is. He was very good in India in 2013 and played a great innings in the tri series final before the world cup. You can count the number of decent ODI games Stokes has had on one hand.

BeeGee

International Captain
NZ really need to have a look at their spinner.
They can look at him as long as they want, it won't change anything. We have no test class spinners. Zero.

And for all the Jeetan Patel fanboys out there, yes, I'm including him too. He's not test quality. Doing well in county cricket means nothing. If I had a dollar for every failed NZ test player who moved to the UK and excelled in county cricket I'd have $3.27.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IDK, Stokes is one of the few guys I wouldn't be paying so much attention to his stats. Chap has that x-factor.

Niall

International Coach
I mean there can be some argument for sticking with potential versus results. Glenn Maxwell's form leading up to the world cup was in pretty dire straits as well but cricket australia kept persisting with him. Though he did build his form up in the tri-series before the WC.

Kinda different in this case though because Maxwell has already built an ODI reputation before his form dip, whereas stokes was relatively unknown.
Totally different to be fair, Maxwell had been an ODI gun for a long time before the World Cup, and even then he probably got a little lucky with Watson and Clarke getting injured.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Not sure how true this is. He was very good in India in 2013 and played a great innings in the tri series final before the world cup. You can count the number of decent ODI games Stokes has had on one hand.
Nah, he was pretty bad in zimbabwe (other than smashing the zimbabweans) and the home series against south africa. Which culminated in that leave in the BBL which got people calling for his head before the world cup.

As I've amended though, it is different because he's more established in the team than stokes.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Well done England. Excellent backs-to-the-wall efforts in this test against a backdrop of much turbulence. A firing Stokes adds a lot of heft to the side and the availability of a 4-man pace attack made a big difference. And great to see Cook play a vintage knock like that even though it has me worried he's back in the zone and will just carry on merrily at Leeds.

As I said in the previous post NZ need to see this as a wake-up call. Surprised that they weren't more cautious in their methods given half the side had landed in England just a few days earlier. Nevertheless hope the ECB have begun to recognize that there's enough quality in NZ and that their approach does make for entertaining test cricket, even if it wasn't always that smart.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Well done England. Excellent backs-to-the-wall efforts in this test against a backdrop of much turbulence. A firing Stokes adds a lot of heft to the side and the availability of a 4-man pace attack made a big difference. And great to see Cook play a vintage knock like that even though it has me worried he's back in the zone and will just carry on merrily at Leeds.

As I said in the previous post NZ need to see this as a wake-up call. Surprised that they weren't more cautious in their methods given half the side had landed in England just a few days earlier. Nevertheless hope the ECB have begun to recognize that there's enough quality in NZ and that their approach does make for entertaining test cricket, even if it wasn't always that smart.
Travesty this is a 2 match series.

Howsie

International Captain
That was disgraceful batting in the last hour. Disgraceful. NZ's tailenders need a rocket.

Put a shift in ffs.
Yep, something we've all been saying for a long time now. Southee is a complete waste of talent as a batsman but come on, what was that today?

Well played England, too good on the day and really apart from day 2 the entire test.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Well it's hard to imagine that Nzl contrived to lose this from where they were yday morning when everyone seemed to agree that they were closer to the driver's seat, if not in it. Just a bunch of moments here and there and some ordinary batting on the final day that they paid for big time, to say nothing of having England where they wanted them a few times in this test to put the game to bed and not taking them(30-4, scoring only 523 in the first innings). Maybe this defeat was as necessary for them as the win was for England, I don't know.

Last edited:

Frost

U19 Debutant
Yeah, considering we had India for 5 last summer and a much better more entertaining side only get 2. Total joke.
It is what it is,nz only has its self to blame they havnt tradionally been one of the top sides so why would teams like England or Australia give them more than 2 test.Hopefully the maintain a bit of consistency and when they negotiate the next ftp nz will get more tests

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Still buzzing. The last Test we won came an hour or two after the whites were relegated so it's been a long time since I've enjoyed one of these, and the way in which it was won. Test cricket eh? ****in hell. Best test I've personally watched since at least Trent Bridge 2013.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He is a genuine weapon as a 4th seamer in Tests if he is one of the top 6 batsmen in the country.
Yes, I like his bowling in test matches. A very good wicket taking 4th seamer. But that role doesn't expose his limitations as much because if he's having a bad day he just won't bowl as much, and you can sacrifice a bit of control for an important breakthrough or two.