• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

pup11

International Coach
Very true. I think Vettori was harsher on Collingwood too, he was holding back in comparison with the comments here IMO.
Collingwood really didn't had a shred of excuse to hide behind though, which Haddin obviously has in this case, so both cases are slightly different in that regard.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well if Haddin has cheated then he should be punished, i am not going to defend a cheater just because he is the part of a team i support.

Though it would have been much better had Dan Vettori lodged an official complaint against Haddin for this incident, rather than just talking about it in the media, because it really doesn't serve much purpose other than providing spicy piece of news to sports column.

As things are Haddin might get away with this (if he is guilty) with just a bit chit-chat via the media, and shouldn't really be the case.
I just listened to the press conference (which is the 4th interview down here if you want to listen Radio Sport - Just Sport - New Zealand's Sports Network - Audio Bank : Featured Interviews) and its not like Vettori went out of his way to mention it, he was asked the question & just made the comment that Haddin's reaction said it all. If he had said 'no comment' that would probably have been deemed worse in many respects

Burgey

IMO, they have to make an example of Haddin in this instance though, otherwise its something other keepers around the world could look expose and then just plead ignorance like he did, that is to knock the bails off with their gloves when the ball beats the bat
You think he knocked the bails off deliberately? :huh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Not the first time Vettori has taken a pot-shot at an Aussie cricketer during a series, last time around when these two teams played each other in an ODI series, he opened raised doubts over Tait's bowling action, but he is the New Zealand captain, and he really needs to watch his way with the words he uses.

He can't just go on accusing fellow international cricketers of wrong doing when he really has no proof to go with what he is saying,
Haha, no proof? He had the benefit of the replays while sitting in the dressing room - the images were proof enough. I saw it for the first time tonight on the news. The fact he took the ball in his gloves had to have been a massive give-away to Brad Un-Australian.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Though it would have been much better had Dan Vettori lodged an official complaint against Haddin for this incident, rather than just talking about it in the media, because it really doesn't serve much purpose other than providing spicy piece of news to sports column.
He asked a question and he answered it.

As to the bolded bit, Ponting was responsible for this by escalating the matter.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just listened to the press conference (which is the 4th interview down here if you want to listen Radio Sport - Just Sport - New Zealand's Sports Network - Audio Bank : Featured Interviews) and its not like Vettori went out of his way to mention it, he was asked the question & just made the comment that Haddin's reaction said it all. If he had said 'no comment' that would probably have been deemed worse in many respects
Exactly what I said, but pup decided to ignore it and continue trying to make it look like the Aussie was the wronged one here.

social

Glad I havent seen the incident

I still havent recovered from the Port Arthur Massacre and another crime of that magnitude would destroy my faith in humanity

Zinzan

You think he knocked the bails off deliberately? :huh:
No, I don't for a minute think his intention was to deliberately knock the bails off, but I believe that he knew his gloves had hit first & were in front of the wickets after it happened & his initial reaction to the dismissal backs this up. At this point I feel he should have been obliged to tell the umpire he wasn't sure. He had this opportunity & didn't take it.

stephen

Haha, no proof? He had the benefit of the replays while sitting in the dressing room - the images were proof enough. I saw it for the first time tonight on the news. The fact he took the ball in his gloves had to have been a massive give-away to Brad Un-Australian.
Noone should comment without first seeing the even in real time. The even happened in real time, and should be viewed in real time if you want to accuse people of misdemeaners. Watching live it did not look dodgy at all.

Burgey

No, I don't for a minute think his intention was to deliberately knock the bails off, but I believe that he knew his gloves had hit first & were in front of the wickets after it happened & his initial reaction to the dismissal backs this up. At this point I feel he should have been obliged to tell the umpire he wasn't sure. He had this opportunity & didn't take it.
Yeah, I think that's probably fair enough tbh.

Zinzan

I suppose the sixty-four thousand dollar question is what Gilchrist would have done in the same situation & I'd guess he'd have asked the umpire to review.

pup11

International Coach
He asked a question and he answered it.

As to the bolded bit, Ponting was responsible for this by escalating the matter.
Ponting has been a big idiot when it comes to handling matters like these, so why is that coming across as a surpise at all to anyone, he goes way over the top when it comes to standing up for one of his team-mates.

As for Vettori being asked the question, he could have answered it in a different way, he could have easily expressed his displeasure over the incident, without being this insightful and graphic about his thoughts, he could have told the press that he and his team management would review the replay, and take the matter to he match referee if they felt it was required.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Noone should comment without first seeing the even in real time. The even happened in real time, and should be viewed in real time if you want to accuse people of misdemeaners. Watching live it did not look dodgy at all.
Have you got tired of trying to steer the conversation onto other umpiring misdemeaners (sic)?

So by noone commenting, does that mean we're only allowed to discuss it on this forum once we've got an unedited copy of the full match directly from Channel 9?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yeah, which is why Broom looks bewildered and initially hesitated to go off. :blink:

_Ed_

Glad I havent seen the incident

I still havent recovered from the Port Arthur Massacre and another crime of that magnitude would destroy my faith in humanity
Haha. I apologise that some of us have gone a bit over the top with this.

But it's also not a complete non-issue.