• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Well if its that obvious that Haddin had intentionally cheated, then i think Ponting is being stupid in defending him, and the second thing is what were the umpires doing, when this incident transpired??
Vettori never said it was obvious that Haddin cheated! He basically said that you could see that Haddin "knew something was wrong". Saying that amounts to Vettori calling Haddin a "cheat" is nothing but an overreaction.

By looking at the replay you can see some hesitation from Haddin, which is evidence enough that he wasn't 100% sure like he said. There is no reason to hesitate when a batsman is bowled, is there?
Also, you could tell by Broom's reaction that something wasn't quite right with the dismissal. Why hesitate to go off if you were bowled?

You are having a go at Vettori without even seeing the incident first. And juding your opinion on the overreaction of a captain under enormous pressure, who at the time hadn't even seen the replay himself, if I remember rightly.

Regarding the umpires, square leg should have called a no ball.

And to think this could have been all handled so easily considering it didn't end up affecting the result..... :(

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The real Peter Fulton is gun. Don't know who this imposter with none of the precise foot movement or confidence of Fulton. James Marshall on stilts probably.

Our problem is all the domestic run scorers are Matthew "Ramprakash" Sinclair, journeymen (like Cumming) or teenagers, like Williamson.

All the ready made guys in form like Broom and Guptill are in the team. The likes of Greg Hay are batting like **** this year.
Welcome Mathew Sinclair to Cricket Web

James Nixon | 12:18am gmt 20 Jan 2009

We at Cricket Web are both proud and excited in welcoming Mathew Sinclair. Mathew will be regularly contributing blog pieces for Cricket Web readers to enjoy. His years of experience and ongoing participation in both international and New Zealand domestic cricket will no doubt provide valuable insight to the world of professional cricket at all levels and his first-hand knowledge of players and cricket issues will allow him to give us all a very informed opinion.

Don't insult fellow CWer's FFS!!!!!

Zinzan

Not the first time Vettori has taken a pot-shot at an Aussie cricketer during a series, last time around when these two teams played each other in an ODI series, he opened raised doubts over Tait's bowling action, but he is the New Zealand captain, and he really needs to watch his way with the words he uses.

He can't just go on accusing fellow international cricketers of wrong doing when he really has no proof to go with what he is saying, though i didn't watch the Haddin incident, as i was only able to catch up on the last 30 balls of the New Zealand innings, but still considering the kind of incident it was, umpires should have been able to spot any foul-play involved, if any!!

Seemed like an excellent game though, even though Australia lost, given their recent run of lacklustre performances, atleast it was good to see Aussies showing some spirit and taking the game down to wire, and this one now promises to be a very good series.

One more thing i would like to touch upon is Australia use of batting PP, i mean they have been using it shockingly so far, we were criticising South Africans for using their batting PP in the last 5 overs, but atleast they had some sort of plan to use it.

Aussies on the other hand look clueless with it, i think Saffies were very smart with the use of their batting PP, they knew Albie Morkel is there biggest power-hitter, so they backed him to make the best use of the batting PP, and Australia need to do something similar, pick a bloke who is best equipped to make most of batting PP, rather than leave it for guys live Hopes, Johnson and the tail.
What a ****** joke, Don't try & make out Vettori's the villain in this whole controversy, just because Haddin cheated. Vettori is well within his rights to make post game comments & he was actually right on the mark. If you watch the reply you can see in Haddin's initial reaction that he looked unsure & reacted as if something wasn't quite right, have a look yourself at the links of it posted in this thread.

It was then Ponting that took it out of context, not Vettori, the latter just told it as he saw it & was correct

Flem274*

123/5
Welcome Mathew Sinclair to Cricket Web

James Nixon | 12:18am gmt 20 Jan 2009

We at Cricket Web are both proud and excited in welcoming Mathew Sinclair. Mathew will be regularly contributing blog pieces for Cricket Web readers to enjoy. His years of experience and ongoing participation in both international and New Zealand domestic cricket will no doubt provide valuable insight to the world of professional cricket at all levels and his first-hand knowledge of players and cricket issues will allow him to give us all a very informed opinion.

Don't insult fellow CWer's FFS!!!!!
:laugh:

Skippy's gun, but he's a wierdo at international level.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The real Peter Fulton is gun. Don't know who this imposter with none of the precise foot movement or confidence of Fulton. James Marshall on stilts probably.

Our problem is all the domestic run scorers are Matthew "Ramprakash" Sinclair, journeymen (like Cumming) or teenagers, like Williamson.

All the ready made guys in form like Broom and Guptill are in the team. The likes of Greg Hay are batting like **** this year.
Not bad a time for the likes of Williamson to get a gig. He looked a class above for the New Zealand U19 side last year whilst in England and if the Aussies seem to be taking the piss in a live series, New Zealand can also experiment. Gotta a draw a line under Cricketweb blogger, Sinclair.

pup11

International Coach
Vettori never said it was obvious that Haddin cheated! He basically said that you could see that Haddin "knew something was wrong". Saying that amounts to Vettori calling Haddin a "cheat" is nothing but an overreaction.

By looking at the replay you can see some hesitation from Haddin, which is evidence enough that he wasn't 100% sure like he said. There is no reason to hesitate when a batsman is bowled, is there?
Also, you could tell by Broom's reaction that something wasn't quite right with the dismissal. Why hesitate to go off if you were bowled?

You are having a go at Vettori without even seeing the incident first. And juding your opinion on the overreaction of a captain under enormous pressure, who at the time hadn't even seen the replay himself, if I remember rightly.

Regarding the umpires, square leg should have called a no ball.

And to think this could have been all handled so easily considering it didn't end up affecting the result..... :(
Well this is what Haddin has to say :
Haddin called Vettori's response "poor" and "low", but maintained the ball hit the stumps before his gloves. "I'm pretty disappointed in Dan that he didn't have the decency to come and speak to me after the game if he had an issue with it rather than air his thoughts in a press conference," Haddin told AAP. "I think the polite or the decent thing to do would be to come and ask me. He's played a lot of cricket now and he knows too well what happens with these situations, so I thought it was a bit low. I think it's quite poor."

He said he was unaware at the time that his hands were ahead of the wickets. "After looking at the replay, my hands were in front of the stumps," he said. "But the ball, I'm 100% positive, hit the bails first and then came up into my gloves." Under the Laws, a no-ball should be called if the wicketkeeper does not stay behind the stumps until the ball touches the batsman, passes the stumps, or a run is attempted.

Whatever it is, i am not having a go at Vettori, but i just don't think its right thing for him or any international player for that matter, to come out in the media and say such things (both about the Tait and Haddin issue).

If he has a problem he can talk to the match referee and officials to express his displeasure over something that he felt wasn't right and let the officials decide to do the rest.

_Ed_

Not bad a time for the likes of Williamson to get a gig. He looked a class above for the New Zealand U19 side last year whilst in England and if the Aussies seem to be taking the piss in a live series, New Zealand can also experiment.
Yeah, agree with this.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whatever it is, i am not having a go at Vettori, but i just don't think its right thing for him or any international player for that matter, to come out in the media and say such things (both about the Tait and Haddin issue).

If he has a problem he can talk to the match referee and officials to express his displeasure over something that he felt wasn't right and let the officials decide to do the rest.
I doubt he honestly went out to the nearest media guy and said what he said. He was asked a question and he gave a pretty mild response for mine, if Ponting and Haddin had seen the tape of what happened and read the comments accordingly they'd see how meh they were.

A bit dumb of them to escalate it.

Flem274*

123/5
Not bad a time for the likes of Williamson to get a gig. He looked a class above for the New Zealand U19 side last year whilst in England and if the Aussies seem to be taking the piss in a live series, New Zealand can also experiment. Gotta a draw a line under Cricketweb blogger, Sinclair.
Nah, we should play at full strength imo if they do a piss take. No Hussey and Ponting makes me think we can win the series imo, our bowlers weren't troubled by the Aussies and as for our batting, well I'll be surprised if Tait bowls well all series. If we can get through Johnson and Bracken we should be in business, thoug obv. the loss of Oram, Styris and Ryder hurts.

Williamson has smashed Bond around, so he's capable, but its still a live series. If we get comfy like SA, then I'd consider pulling him over.

Zinzan

Haddin called Vettori's response "poor" and "low", but maintained the ball hit the stumps before his gloves. "I'm pretty disappointed in Dan that he didn't have the decency to come and speak to me after the game if he had an issue with it rather than air his thoughts in a press conference," Haddin told AAP. "I think the polite or the decent thing to do would be to come and ask me. He's played a lot of cricket now and he knows too well what happens with these situations, so I thought it was a bit low. I think it's quite poor."

He said he was unaware at the time that his hands were ahead of the wickets. "After looking at the replay, my hands were in front of the stumps," he said. "But the ball, I'm 100% positive, hit the bails first and then came up into my gloves." Under the Laws, a no-ball should be called if the wicketkeeper does not stay behind the stumps until the ball touches the batsman, passes the stumps, or a run is attempted.

Like your attempt to do what you can to downplay what was blatant cheating by the aussies though. :dry:

Anyone know if Haddin's being investigated for bringing the game into disrepute ?

Hopefully he's banned for 2-3 games at least

Burgey

Like your attempt to do what you can to downplay what was blatant cheating by the aussies though. :dry:

Anyone know if Haddin's being investigated for bringing the game into disrepute ?

I'd be surprised if he is tbh. If they don't peg blokes for some of the blatant non-catchesw that have been seen the past few years, I don't see how they can peg him for this.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Injured XI

BFJ
Marsh
Watson
Styris
Symonds
Oram
-Keeper-
Franklin
Lee
McGain?
Clark

Laughably strong team.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Bit precious, isn't he? Collingwood, at least maned up.

Zinzan

I'd be surprised if he is tbh. If they don't peg blokes for some of the blatant non-catchesw that have been seen the past few years, I don't see how they can peg him for this.
IMO, they have to make an example of Haddin in this instance though, otherwise its something other keepers around the world could look expose and then just plead ignorance like he did, that is to knock the bails off with their gloves when the ball beats the bat

pup11

International Coach

Well if Haddin has cheated then he should be punished, i am not going to defend a cheater just because he is the part of a team i support.

Though it would have been much better had Dan Vettori lodged an official complaint against Haddin for this incident, rather than just talking about it in the media, because it really doesn't serve much purpose other than providing spicy piece of news to sports columns.

As things are Haddin might get away with this (if he is guilty) with just a bit chit-chat via the media, and shouldn't really be the case.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
IMO, they have to make an example of Haddin in this instance though, otherwise its something other keepers around the world could look expose and then just plead ignorance like he did, that is to knock the bails off with their gloves when the ball beats the bat
Yeah uh, it's going to take a very freakish circumstance where it's not plainly visible to everyone.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bit precious, isn't he? Collingwood, at least maned up.
Yeah, and for a guy who I hear commentators constantly trying to portray as some sort of "hard man" in the side it is pretty funny seeing him get so wound up. They should all get over it.