• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season 2021/22***

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Ah, OK. Yeah, 19 I think. 156 on debut IIRC. Absolutely waxed lyrical about by the radio commentators on sports roundup. All we had to go on back then.

Edit: Looking it up in the archive. Was at Lancaster Park. so it would have been Peter Sharp on comms with one other.
Peter Sharp made your average one-eyed Cantab appear rational.

I used to love the parochial nature of the Sports Roundup comms; Kevin Hart, Wads, Ron wotshisface from Welly, Sharp, Alan McLaughlin, Iain Galloway. All unashamedly biased. Fantastic listening.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

I used to love the parochial nature of the Sports Roundup comms; Kevin Hart, Wads, Ron wotshisface from Welly, Sharp, Alan McLaughlin, Iain Galloway. All unashamedly biased. Fantastic listening.
Bloody oath. Ron Snowden incidentally - what a character he was (potentially still is).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Great post. Brings back many memories

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I remember listening to that. For some reason Henry Blofeld was on guest comms, and he just raved about the innings.
That would help explain why the innings got such a huge reputation and talk of making the England tour that winter.

1. Blofeld is naturally very effusive.
2. Cultural cringe, especially within NZ cricket back then - that a foreign voice and opinion is worth 2 x a local one.

ataraxia

International Coach
Glenn Phillips pretty much playing a shot a ball here. A 30-ball 50 from #3 reached in the 15th over.

Three debuts, Gibson and Ashok missing out.

nzfan

GP was going so well... bugger he's gone. Probably the first ball he looked to defend this inning. He's been batting well of late.

Immenso

Holy hell, Ben Horne's stance.

It reminds of a low level club game I played once when before the toss both teams agreed there would be no LBWs today, and then the opposition then went out and demonstrated their well-honed no-LBWs batting techniques ....

1644540637511.png

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Embarrassing dismissals for Auckland's openers today, though surprising to see W O'Donnell opening the innings in the first place. Phillips fun and I'm fine with him playing his natural game of biff to remind the NZ selectors he's a test option down at 5 or 6.

nzfan

Embarrassing dismissals for Auckland's openers today, though surprising to see W O'Donnell opening the innings in the first place. Phillips fun and I'm fine with him playing his natural game of biff to remind the NZ selectors he's a test option down at 5 or 6.
He's got to play his game. I think he looks very vulnerable when he's looking to defend. When attacking he looks his best.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Bowwwls.....short and wiiiiiide!
Haha this is so good, if it refers to Goran Paladin's (outstanding) impression of Snowden. Actually, Paladin's parody was so good I'm actually 100% honestly unsure as to whether Snowden actually said the following:

'High....wide....CAUGHT AT MID ON'

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He's got to play his game. I think he looks very vulnerable when he's looking to defend. When attacking he looks his best.
Not exactly a description of a game that is going to translate to Test success for any period of time

nzfan

It reminds of a low level club game I played once when before the toss both teams agreed there would be no LBWs today, and then the opposition then went out and demonstrated their well-honed no-LBWs batting techniques ....

View attachment 30612
Add to that Duffman's approach to the crease as well... proper club cricket.

ataraxia

International Coach

View attachment 30612
Horne got a few runs, but then got out in a way that he deserved to.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Chapman out for 97, which is disappointing. I am not a huge watcher of his, but he previously struck me as a guy who didn’t play a good pull shot - but he played some really lovely ones today.