• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season 2021/22***

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Think Mathew Bell was 17 and opening for ND.
But may have been hawke cup for Northland, need to check.

Edit. Yes, only 17 years and 1 month old when debuted for ND at FC level, although it was non-Plunket Shield: Northern Districts v New Zealand Academy.

But debuted in PS only 6 months later at start of next season.

Immenso

Ah, OK. Yeah, 19 I think. 156 on debut IIRC. Absolutely waxed lyrical about by the radio commentators on sports roundup. All we had to go on back then.

Edit: Looking it up in the archive. Was at Lancaster Park. so it would have been Peter Sharp on comms with one other.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Otago finally developing a few decent young homegrown players:
Chu
Llew Johnson
Cumming (and perhaps his little brother too)
Beckham Wheeler-Greennall maybe

nzfan

Otago always debuts their players at young age. Nathan Smith at 17, Duffy at 17, Hamish Rutherford at 18 I think. Hamish Rutherford will probably get to play with both the dad Cumming and the junior.

nzfan

Glenn Phillips at 18 or was it when he was 19? Can't remember him opening but Rachin Ravindra opening for firebirds vs CD at 18?

Flem274*

123/5
Good to see Otago finally developing a few decent young homegrown players:
Chu
Llew Johnson
Cumming (and perhaps his little brother too)
Beckham Wheeler-Greennall maybe
They gave us Smith, Duffy and of course developed Wagner into a test bowler. Retaining players, not finding them, has always been the challenge.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Ah, OK. Yeah, 19 I think. 156 on debut IIRC. Absolutely waxed lyrical about by the radio commentators on sports roundup. All we had to go on back then.

Edit: Looking it up in the archive. Was at Lancaster Park. so it would have been Peter Sharp on comms with one other.
I remember listening to that. For some reason Henry Blofeld was on guest comms, and he just raved about the innings.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
North Otago gave us Smith and Southland gave us Duffy.
Both part of Otago for cricket though (like Llew Johnson NO as well). Not like Craig Cumming (from South Canterbury which is part of Canterbury). Otago should really be called "Southern Districts".

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
They gave us Smith, Duffy and of course developed Wagner into a test bowler. Retaining players, not finding them, has always been the challenge.
They produce gems but it's often been the players surrounding them that have been a little substandard. I can't think of too many Otago born and bred players that have flown the coop over the years (Smith being the obvious recent exception). Their imports regularly drift away/home, though.