• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2015/16

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
slightly dissapointed rossco only batted 65 minutes. Still better than a duck. Kane seemed to have had a long dig which is pleasing.

At least the team is all healthy anyway.

Flem274*

123/5
Young's 70(?) on a filthy green top a couple of years ago sold me. Excellent leaver of the ball.

plus he studied rocks like all great men. new cricketing hero.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hunter in the Otago squad.

There was a bit of love on this forum for Jamieson, but of those two giant blonde clones in the U19s -I actually preferred Hunter (although selectors didn't agree when Randall came into team the next year and he and Jamieson were the 2 seamers in the spinners-fest UAE World Cup).

But anyway, Hunter got more side on and got outswing. Action reminded me of a 6 foot 8 Kyle Mills.

That last delivery looks a bit rough. Might get a bit ragged late in the day.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Read the article.

My opinion that Young looks good v spin based on such thorough analysis as seeing him use his feet v spinners on the video scorecard boundaries. ;) (admittedly, I see him do this regularly)

E.g. Opinion NOT based on viewing his defensive technique, use of crease, sweep, or even ability to tuck them off his pads for a single.

Therefore was interested in this bit of the article:

The left-armer bowling to him is the reformed Nick Beard btw.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Use of the feet to hit over the top never over-excites me tbh; it's when you see a batsman confidently use his feet to spin to defend or push singles that you know it's a properly developed skill.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Use of the feet to hit over the top never over-excites me tbh; it's when you see a batsman confidently use his feet to spin to defend or push singles that you know it's a properly developed skill.
I am fine with you having that view. I have a different view. And I don't think its important that we agree but do you use your feet against spinners?

I do frequently. I march down and punch them along the ground both through the onside and off side often for four, but also for singles. I never march down and defend it, because when I go I always make it to the pitch of the ball, and if the ball is shorter then I will look to get on the back foot. My work on shot is learning how to hit over the top against spinners. I find that one the more difficult to master out of all three shots you named. Good spinners get significant loop.This makes it hard to judge exactly where the ball will land. Especially if they can control their loop which some can. If my goal is just to punch you along the ground then I can adjust the angle of my bat for minute differences in where the ball actually pitches when I make the decision to come down. IF my goal is to hit you over the top then it is harder to bail out and adjust the bat face for the height of the ball at impact.

From a batting against spin perspective, and this you know already but I am typing it for my benefit so that I have a comprehensive post, being able to hit over the top to push some boundary riders back to the fence is critical. Big Daddy Kane does this as well. You need it to open up singles, even in the long form of the game.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
JA Raval, DG Brownlie, MG Bracewell (c), HM Nicholls, C Munro, DC de Boorder (wk), AF Milne, TD Astle, IS Sodhi, N Wagner, JA Duffy, KA Jamieson (12th)
Slightly odd how Young wasn't required to put a touch player in that top 5. I quite like Nicholls as a hustling LO player, but he's done very little in red ball cricket.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Slightly odd how Young wasn't required to put a touch player in that top 5. I quite like Nicholls as a hustling LO player, but he's done very little in red ball cricket.
I looked at that lineup and thought it was Munro who is the only I see not potentially paying test cricket for NZ in coming years, and therefore don't see rationale for him being in this series and Young not.

Other than that, a good selection. Much better than that Littlejohn/Buchanan series v India A about 3 seasons ago. Although this may just reflect the bulge of talent and more than usual death that's working its way through the system.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Cribb's Tharaka had an absolute Barry Crocker of a spell btw, the day after we gave him a Youtube video and some compliments. He's running out the drinks today and they're playing their more anodyne pace options.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I looked at that lineup and thought it was Munro who is the only I see not potentially paying test cricket for NZ in coming years, and therefore don't see rationale for him being in this series and Young not.

Other than that, a good selection. Much better than that Littlejohn/Buchanan series v India A about 3 seasons ago. Although this may just reflect the bulge of talent and more than usual death that's working its way through the system.
Well we know Hesson still sees something there. Admittedly it's probably "00011000111100011" in nature, and a non-abacus wouldn't understand. I enjoy the fact that they them keep hitting him with Asian spinners rather than Shield attacks though, I suppose.

The Indian market is only going to become even more desirous of Antipodean brawn and beef than it already is, you see. They already have numerous Karun Nairs and Unmukt Chands for every Will Young.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha yeah I did like those posts but surely the people who made them are more attached to them than I am.. :p
People expect me to laud a new player who brings a certain aesthetic to the game, more so than even-tempered precision. You're the Roger Federer of the forum though; your seal of approval is supposed to mean that player is both stylish and substantive.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha Woodock doing well again. Not so well that he puts my TAB money in jeopardy I hope.

Howsie

International Captain
Santner and that FC record everybody likes to bring up suffers again due to batting so low. Stuck with the tail and had to gun it. Should be at least ahead of Mitchell and Popli in the batting line up.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Haha Woodock doing well again. Not so well that he puts my TAB money in jeopardy I hope.
I'm pretty sure when Woodcock debuted as an opener for Wellington there was a comparison to Edgar. It's fitting that he has been restored to the top under Edgar's guidance.

Young guns McClure & Carter putting on a good stand against Auckland. George Worker is having a great start to the season too.

Here's an interview with Edgar about the coming season.

“They turn up here in the stadium, they wander in there and go ‘oh, I must just have a few hits’. What’s the point in having a few hits when there’s no purpose about it? So it’s to encourage the guys to be more self-sufficient about how they go about their training, what they’re working on, create scenarios, raise the bar in terms of intensity, so there’s always a purpose do what they’re doing. Then, culturally, working on that. Developing character, leadership and development, just helping them with that. And as they get better as players, and as individuals, hopefully success pops out the top.”