• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Jasprit Bumrah fanboying thread

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont think we should be holding him back to the extent we have been. Should be playing SC tests because I want to see if he can expand his game to use reverse on dry pitches. Probably can.

The real issue is how much he is overbowled in away tests depite India playing 5 bowlers. It is really annoying to regularly watch him bowl long spells when there s a proper pace battery available.

centurymaker

International Captain
Although individual legacies don't matter as much, India's next big away series isn't until the end of 2024- close to 3 years from now, so if Bumrah isn't gonna play home, what is he gonna do? Play every single game of every ipl?

Yes he isn't required at home but in order to play okay no. of tests in the next few years and in order to stay test match ready, he will have to play most of home games too. Maybe he can be rested for dead rubbers or parts of series

centurymaker

International Captain
It has taken him close to 4 years to reach 100. He is 28 now.

He will have to play until he's 35-36 in order to reach 300 wickets.

I think he will finish around that mark. 275-325

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I dont think we should be holding him back to the extent we have been. Should be playing SC tests because I want to see if he can expand his game to use reverse on dry pitches. Probably can.

The real issue is how much he is overbowled in away tests depite India playing 5 bowlers. It is really annoying to regularly watch him bowl long spells when there s a proper pace battery available.
I believe "Bumrah is overbowled" is overdone a bit hence getting to stats.

He has been playing tests for 4 years now and bowled 5359 deliveries. That is 1340 deliveries per year. This translates to 214 deliveries per test or 35 overs. This workload per test is comparable to some of the leading bowlers in history and way below some of the most overworked ones like Lillee (44 overs per test) or Hadlee (42 overs per test).

Kapil, who has been India's leading pace bowler until Bumrah(or arguably still) has bowled 1799 deliveries per year which is 34% more on an average per year for 4 times more duration ! Even among Bumrah's contemporaries, Rabada has bowled 1507 balls per year for 6 years.

The highest Bumrah has bowled over a single calendar year in tests is 2238 balls in 2018. In Kapil's case it is 3553 deliveries in 1979. He also bowled 3469 in 1983. Botham too had a comparable workload to Kapil for a decade until he worn out. Bumrah admittedly had to play a lot of IPL and t20s, but then these guys had to play a lot of county and other FC cricket along with being all rounders.

Even in the last match, Bumrah bowled only 26 overs. He would one day go on to become India's best ever but shouldn't be the one who would have a reputation of great workload or good fitness imo.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I believe "Bumrah is overbowled" is overdone a bit hence getting to stats.

He has been playing tests for 4 years now and bowled 5359 deliveries. That is 1340 deliveries per year. This translates to 214 deliveries per test or 35 overs. This workload per test is comparable to some of the leading bowlers in history and way below some of the most overworked ones like Lillee (44 overs per test) or Hadlee (42 overs per test).

Kapil, who has been India's leading pace bowler until Bumrah(or arguably still) has bowled 1799 deliveries per year which is 34% more on an average per year for 4 times more duration ! Even among Bumrah's contemporaries, Rabada has bowled 1507 balls per year for 6 years.

The highest Bumrah has bowled over a single calendar year in tests is 2238 balls in 2018. In Kapil's case it is 3553 deliveries in 1979. He also bowled 3469 in 1983. Botham too had a comparable workload to Kapil for a decade until he worn out. Bumrah admittedly had to play a lot of IPL and t20s, but then these guys had to play a lot of county and other FC cricket along with being all rounders.

Even in the last match, Bumrah bowled only 26 overs. He would one day go on to become India's best ever but shouldn't be the one who would have a reputation of great workload or good fitness imo.
The number of overs isn't the real problem. As I said in that very post, it's that he bowls longer spells. They should be 5 over bursts at most. Even in the latest test he bowled a long 7 over spell. What's the point of 5 bowlers when you use them like this?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
The number of overs isn't the real problem. As I said in that very post, it's that he bowls longer spells. They should be 5 over bursts at most. Even in the latest test he bowled a long 7 over spell. What's the point of 5 bowlers when you use them like this?
Yeah, agree that 5-6 overs is optimal for him. Though, iirc, he took a wicket in his 5th over in one of the spells and Kohli was tempted to give a few more. Ideally, he should have been given a break and come back later.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
And I think (and may be mistaken) that the English sports scientists once found that spell length was the biggest injury risk factor rather than total overs.