• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Jasprit Bumrah fanboying thread

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I wish he took more big hauls like Steyn. Bumrah's great spells generally need you to be watching to truly know how good they were. The figures at the end are not always that special. 2-27 in last game for example was a remarkable spell.

He still has lot of time though.
Because he dismisses the key players/ the key partnerships/breaks down a team/ bowls that magic spell and is not over-used at the end to mop up the tail/lesser batsmen/or is not always used when others can easily do the job as well/when he has given them the platform. So his figures don’t reflect -instead of a 2-fer/3-fer, it‘s actually worth a 5-fer in terms of real impact!!

He could have easily had a 5-fer yesterday but “it wasn’t necessary for him to bowl to remove Rabada and Ngidi‘, so India at the end bowled with Ashwin instead. Bowling is a team effort!!! Individual figures never tell the whole story!

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
So maybe we need to place less value on bowling averages/big wicket hauls. They ought to be seen as a rough guide.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
The closest I can think of in terms of Indian fast bowlers looking this dangerous are Sreesanth and Pathan, and neither of them looked near as unplayable as Bumrah
Sreesanth and Pathan, 2 guys who should've had 200 test wickets each.

What happened with Irfan- Greg 'the ****wit' Chappel trying to turn him into an allrounder, was criminal.

Sreesanth was a bit like KP- an eccentric personality who the Indian team didn't know how to deal with. He ****ed up with the matchfixing but I feel for him re what happened beforehand...on the outer with his teammates his whole career.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
irfan pathan was a 120 kmph trundler

his problem was not trying to get better at batting

it was losing his swing completely trying to become quicker and having no other tricks when the movement disappeared
He was 135 and occasionally touching 144 kph in 2003-4.

He stopped trying to master the art of bowling when he was being used as a batter/allrounder too much.

He was probably already doomed though as a swing bowler playing mainly in Indian conditions.

cnerd123

likes this
Didn't Irfan lose a lot of swing and pace after injury? I vaguely recall something about him trying to remodel his bowling action, after which he lost quite a bit and ended up picking a L&L bowler with some cutters.

Don't think the focus on his batting had a big role here. Maybe increased workload leading to that injury, or lack of direction/focus while in the team. But I always thought it was injuries and the action remodeling that really ruined his bowling.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Didn't Irfan lose a lot of swing and pace after injury? I vaguely recall something about him trying to remodel his bowling action, after which he lost quite a bit and ended up picking a L&L bowler with some cutters.

Don't think the focus on his batting had a big role here. Maybe increased workload leading to that injury, or lack of direction/focus while in the team. But I always thought it was injuries and the action remodeling that really ruined his bowling.
His action was weird. Seemed to chop and change it a bit.

I got the feeling he introduced a more simple action to conserve evergy and bowl dot balls for limited overs, rather than pitching it up and trying to get swing.

I remember pretty well the time that Greg Chappell coached...he would constantly talk in the media about Pathan now being used as an all rounder, how he would deliver limited overs and possible world cup success for India.

Maybe injury played a role in his loss of pace. But I really think if he was 20 years old now and managed well he could've so much more as a bowler.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Pathan's main issue was injuries, he had made a comeback in 2012(if m not wrong) and had a wonderful year but faded away again due to injuries.

Also, on one occasion during that time he had played a 4 day game followed by a 3 day warm up game against England which led to a major injury and then there was no coming back. I can't believe the stupidity of this, playing 7 days of FC cricket in a row including traveling. There was no one to manage the workload of the pacers at that point of time. Praveen Kumar's decline was also because of the same reason, he was so bloody good in tests despite of his lack of pace but had too much of a workload.

I think the workload of these guys has been monitored presently, not sure who is doing that but we are seeing less bowlers burning out overtime as compared to earlier.

Also, not sure what has changed in Ranji cricket but this article by Akash Chopra highlights how Ranji trophy was hurting our pace bowling prospects:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/aakash-chopra-on-the-extinction-of-fast-bowlers-in-india-622341

Teja.

Global Moderator
Pathan's main issue was injuries, he had made a comeback in 2012(if m not wrong) and had a wonderful year but faded away again due to injuries.

Also, on one occasion during that time he had played a 4 day game followed by a 3 day warm up game against England which led to a major injury and then there was no coming back. I can't believe the stupidity of this, playing 7 days of FC cricket in a row including traveling. There was no one to manage the workload of the pacers at that point of time. Praveen Kumar's decline was also because of the same reason, he was so bloody good in tests despite of his lack of pace but had too much of a workload.

I think the workload of these guys has been monitored presently, not sure who is doing that but we are seeing less bowlers burning out overtime as compared to earlier.

Also, not sure what has changed in Ranji cricket but this article by Akash Chopra highlights how Ranji trophy was hurting our pace bowling prospects:
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/aakash-chopra-on-the-extinction-of-fast-bowlers-in-india-622341
PK didn't even have that many miles on his body and didn't play that many games. I'm convinced the guy can walk in and ace FC cricket with some conditioning even now. The problem with PK was that he was a mad **** who would get paranoid and assault umpires with stumps if it was too sunny for his brain.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My uncle came across him on a flight and said he had got drunk and was being a complete dick to the air hostess. Something was definitely wrong with him. Extremely similar to Bhuvi cricketwise but opposites in terms of personality.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
My uncle came across him on a flight and said he had got drunk and was being a complete dick to the air hostess. Something was definitely wrong with him. Extremely similar to Bhuvi cricketwise but opposites in terms of personality.
Pathan, the son of a Muezzin and whose mother wears a Burqa? Wow.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If I may jump in this thread, I think he's a truly special bowler. I honestly think the best is yet to come for him also.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Could have been some weird disease no one thinks to diagnose

Struggles with depression. Drove a few hours to a place with a revolver, planning to end his life.

Is now diagnosed and on medication.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
PK didn't even have that many miles on his body and didn't play that many games. I'm convinced the guy can walk in and ace FC cricket with some conditioning even now. The problem with PK was that he was a mad **** who would get paranoid and assault umpires with stumps if it was too sunny for his brain.
I think he was facing mental health issues and did get help later on. But he burnt out and had become injury prone for sure after after playing all 3 formats.

Edit: Just saw the post by @vicleggie Happy to see him do well now.