• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Jasprit Bumrah fanboying thread

Kirkut

International Regular
Skillwise, he might very well be (on par with the Pakistanis i.e., not sure how you can better them) but he needs to play a lot more to even be considered among the second rung of Kapil and Vaas, let alone royalty like the Ws.
That's harsh. Holding played around 50 tests and he is considered in tier 1, why not Bumrah?

Kirkut

International Regular
Holding played 60, Bumrah's played 33.
Oh I meant in the SC when Bumrah"s not played enough to compare with Kapil/Vaas or the Pakistanis.
Bumrah will play 60 tests for sure and if he still maintains an average in 21 to 22 range, he will absolutely be a tier 1 bowler.

Longevity factor can be excused if you look at his control over the new ball. How many bowlers can do that?

Kirkut

International Regular
In terms of skill with the ball, I'd put Bumrah above Waqar already. The guy has amazing variety and accuracy, more so than Waqar. Waqar had better pace and reverse swing but he had a lot less control. The only issue with I see with Bumrah is longevity. If he can play for another 5-6 years and get to 300 wickets I think he would warrant a place above Waqar. Imran and Wasim were more rounded bowlers and skill wise Bumrah is probably closer to their level but he will need significant longevity to get to that tier.
Sums up Bumrah well. He's not going to play 100 tests for sure, but even if he gets to 250 wickets in 50 odd tests, he deserves to be in tier 1 ranks.

smash84

The Tiger King
Sums up Bumrah well. He's not going to play 100 tests for sure, but even if he gets to 250 wickets in 50 odd tests, he deserves to be in tier 1 ranks.
I don't know about 50 tests. That's quite low for this era. With those number of tests he'll probably be like Shoaib. Incredible when on the field, but mainly missing in action. Although it's debatable how many tests he would need to clear the longevity bar. Even holding has 60 tests. Shoaib has 45 I think.

Kirkut

International Regular
I don't know about 50 tests. That's quite low for this era. With those number of tests he'll probably be like Shoaib. Incredible when on the field, but mainly missing in action. Although it's debatable how many tests he would need to clear the longevity bar. Even holding has 60 tests. Shoaib has 45 I think.
Shoaib played 45 tests but he was very inconsistent, which the numbers don't show. He would oscillate from superhuman performances in one series to just going through the motions in the other (India tour of Pak 2004).

Bumrah is least likely to play 100 tests, but maybe we can waive off the longevity factor when looking at his bowling skill.

Slifer

International Captain
I'm not a fan boy but Bumrah is the real deal. If and that's a big If he gets to say 250 wkts he's in my top 15 easily. He'd certainly be an atg. Bumrah won't be high in the wpm simply because he has wayy too much competition especially for home tests. Away is where he'll continue to shine.

For me, he's the most important Indian cricketer they have put out in my lifetime. Yes a bit of a hyperbole but I don't care. Bumrah's is one of the most skillful bowlers I've ever seen.

smash84

The Tiger King
Shoaib played 45 tests but he was very inconsistent, which the numbers don't show. He would oscillate from superhuman performances in one series to just going through the motions in the other (India tour of Pak 2004).

Bumrah is least likely to play 100 tests, but maybe we can waive off the longevity factor when looking at his bowling skill.
He's definitely more consistent than Shoaib but Shoaib could be more devastating when on song. I don't think we should ignore the longevity factor. I probably rate bumrah higher than most here, but I do think he needs a longer run to make sure he has the staying power of other greats.

Kirkut

International Regular
He's definitely more consistent than Shoaib but Shoaib could be more devastating when on song. I don't think we should ignore the longevity factor. I probably rate bumrah higher than most here, but I do think he needs a longer run to make sure he has the staying power of other greats.
Peak Shoaib dwarfs peak Waqar let alone Bumrah, no contest. We were lucky not to face him much in 2001-2002, the kiwis took most of the heat during that period.