• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ireland in England 2019

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doubt it but that's beside the point

just pay him a lump sum to play the one Test, would be cool to watch

(yes I know how dumb this is, don't care)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Moeen and Curran batting 6 and 7 seems arrogant as hell. It also makes the #9 role redundant. Surely they could've picked another bat?
It wouldn't surprise me to see Woakes at 6. Probably should've kept Buttler in in my mind, he didn't actually have that heavy a World Cup.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
It wouldn't surprise me to see Woakes at 6. Probably should've kept Buttler in in my mind, he didn't actually have that heavy a World Cup.
Possibly underestimating the workload of wicketkeeper-batsmen. They tend to train longer and harder than most.

morgieb

Yeah fair enough. Still even he's a weakness as a Test #6 especially with a long tail and a bad Top 3.

kushagra29

Cricket Spectator
Agreed that the ENG batting order is weak but they are resting their players for the big series to come. For Ireland, this team quite enough. If ENG lose(gut opinion - they won't) also, they won't mind this. Now, its important to rest your key players. Few months back, the whole world has waited for "WINTER IS COMING" but now they are waiting for "ASHES IS COMING":D

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There's something a bit odd about bringing in new Test playing nations and then only playing four day matches. It's hard to see any real logic to it except implying that they're not good enough.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'll be suprised if this lasts deep into the 4th day tbh. I expect both sides to have a hard time with the bat once, Ireland likely twice.

Good to see Anderson is fit. Broad should obviously play tests this summer, do you think any Australian is more worried about facing Curran? Come off it.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
I'll be suprised if this lasts deep into the 4th day tbh. I expect both sides to have a hard time with the bat once, Ireland likely twice.

Good to see Anderson is fit. Broad should obviously play tests this summer, do you think any Australian is more worried about facing Curran? Come off it.
To be fair, I reckon the debate is more Woakes vs Broad than Broad vs Curran; in the latter case Broad wins easily. Woakes is probably more on the same level right now though, especially in England, but I imagine they'd probably go with Broad in the first test I should think.

Is there any chance that Leach could usurp Moeen as the main test spinner? Have a feeling if they both play against Ireland Leach will be treated as the main one in the side.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I don't think there is much chance of Curran playing in the ashes, unless they do the stupid 6 bowlers thing again. The threat to Broad comes from Archer and Woakes, it is has to be two from those three really. There will probably be injuries anyway so sure they will all play at some point.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Going to Day 1. Should be all over by tea. Can't see this lot making many against Adair and Simi Singh.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah I don't think there is much chance of Curran playing in the ashes, unless they do the stupid 6 bowlers thing again. The threat to Broad comes from Archer and Woakes, it is has to be two from those three really. There will probably be injuries anyway so sure they will all play at some point.
Curran may play if we rotate the bowling when we go 3-0 up with 2 to play.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Thinking about it if Woakes plays instead of Broad and Ali plays as we're expecting him to, then this becomes an arguably even more ridiculous batting lineup in terms of depth. One of Woakes/Ali would be 9 and Archer would be batting at 10 with a 30+ FC batting average

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Having 6 #7s doesn't make up for a paper thin top order though.
It kinda does, in some circumstances. Has been the basis of what success we've had in the last few years.

Not much we can do about having no top order options.